Vita sells 1.2 million units Worldwide

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc, today announced that the sales of the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system reached over 1.2 million units worldwide as of February 26, 2012. PS Vita experienced an initial burst of momentum when it launched on December 17, 2011 in Japan followed by Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea. Newly launched in North and Latin America, Europe and PAL territories as well as in Singapore on February 22, 2012, sales have exceeded expectations surpassing over 1.2 million units worldwide, firmly establishing PS Vita as the must-have portable entertainment device across the world. Software sales across the globe have surpassed 2.0 million units at both retail and on PlayStation®Network.

“PS Vita was designed to deliver the ultimate portable entertainment experience, and we couldn’t be more thrilled with the reaction we’re seeing from consumers and the pace at which PS Vita is selling,” said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “The market has responded and there is clear demand for a mobile device capable of providing a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context. To sustain momentum, we’re working closely with 3rd party developers and publishers to ensure the best games and franchises possible will be available on PS Vita, and our software line up for the remainder of 2012 will have something for everyone across the globe.”

PS Vita introduces new ways to play, delivering deep and immersive gameplay experiences that have never been offered on any other handheld gaming device. Equipped with dual analog sticks, a vibrant 5-inch high definition OLED multi-touch screen, powerful quad core processor, six-axis motion sensing system, built in microphone, and front and rear cameras, PS Vita is the ultimate portable entertainment system. In addition to the ultimate portable gaming experience, by having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, PS Vita will enable infinite possibilities for users to “encounter,” “connect,” “discover,” “share” and “play” with friends wherever they are.

With more than 25 titles currently available in North and Latin America, Europe and the PAL territories and Japan* respectively including EA SPORTS FIFA Football, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom®3 from Capcom, UNCHARTEDTM: Golden Abyss, WipEout® 2048 and Escape Plan from SCE Worldwide Studios, as well as over 70 titles in development, PS Vita is poised to drive continued momentum across the globe.

Source: Sony PR.

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
well,i guess it did sell like hotcakes in the western non japanese market :yay:

PS Vita is the ultimate portable entertainment system. In addition to theultimate portable gaming experience,
PS Vita was designed to deliver the ultimate portable entertainment experience

yeah,yeah we get it =.=

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not really surprising, glad to see we have a healthy market and consoles still have a place beside phones, computers and other consoles :3

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Only 600k outside of japan that's both EU, USA and others, 3DS sold 400k in USA alone within the first week.

Pretty average nevertheless.
You didn't need to add that 3DS comment in.
you mean handhelds?
Who cares
PS Vita is the ultimate portable entertainment system. In addition to theultimate portable gaming experience,
PS Vita was designed to deliver the ultimate portable entertainment experience

yeah,yeah we get it =.=
It's PR, what do you expect.

Reactions: 3 people

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Only 600k outside of japan that's both EU, USA and others, 3DS sold 400k in USA alone within the first week.

Inb4 3DS lost momentum after launch and managed to get a good boost in sales only after price-drop and better games.. Selling 600k units in one week is spectacular with handheld consoles. Otherwise we could just as well compare the 3DS+PSV sales to the iPhone 4S sales of 4 million units in the first week

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

They are direct competitors in the handheld market, why isn't it right to bring up a comparison in terms of sales? If I were to bring up Iphone, then yeah I'd be wrong.

Reactions: 5 people

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India

comparisons with other handheld release are obviously going to happen, you are just delaying the inevitable,

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
tCp90.gif

Ahhh, this never gets old.

Reactions: 17 people

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country

On what basis is it average? Just curious what makes you think it's average for a new premium priced console, with little word of mouth and obtuse advertising and a stupid mandatory memory card to sell so well in a failing economy with threats of a double dip recession. The DS had a huge following leading to transferable sales...the Vita garnered none of that, making these figures actually somewhat surprising.

Reactions: 1 person

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
comparisons with other handheld release are obviously going to happen, you are just delaying the inevitable,
Hi, you must be new to GBAtemp - where one mention of the opposing company drags a thread down to it's lowest with off-topic arguments and silly fanboys only to be ended with more silly fanboys.

Reactions: 2 people

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

On what basis is it average? Just curious what makes you think it's average for a new premium priced console, with little word of mouth and obtuse advertising and a stupid mandatory memory card to sell so well in a failing economy with threats of a double dip recession. The DS had a huge following leading to transferable sales...the Vita garnered none of that, making these figures actually somewhat surprising.

It's nothing too great, they are not record breaking sales nor a disappointment.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Hopefully the Vita can keep up its momentum and continue to be successful.

I urge all 3DS owners out there to try out the Vita, so they can appreciate how the 3DS truly is a piece of garbage in comparison to it. So hopefully they will trade in the trash that is the 3DS and buy a Vita instead. So that they can enjoy a TRUE next gen portable gaming experience in the PS Vita! :yay:

Reactions: 10 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol