Vita owners may get cheap downloads for PSP UMD collection

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Quite a lot of people double dip on a game (import from Japan, buy when it's localized - buy the same game for two/three systems), obviously this is not like that but you're paying to have it on another system, Sony could say 'fuck it' altogether with backwards compatibility (just look at the PS3), voucher or no voucher, I'd pay again to play Dissidia 012, Gods Eater Burst and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (HD collection...) with dual analog and an OLED screen.

The only thing I'm worried about if it kicks you off PSN when playing a PSP game (happens on PS3 when playing PS1 games).

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or...you could just keep your PSP and play your UMDs on that...

I mean, who is really going to get rid of their PSPs? There's a crazy amount of homebrew and emulators that are not going to be available on the Vita right off the bat (and possibly not at all...). The PSP will remain plenty useful.

As for the inevitable complaints about "but...but...but...then I'd have to LUG around TWO handhelds!" Is "convenience" really worth rebuying your games?

Reactions: 1 person

Mr.Mysterio

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

I mean, who is really going to get rid of their PSPs? There's a crazy amount of homebrew and emulators that are not going to be available on the Vita right off the bat (and possibly not at all...). The PSP will remain plenty useful.

As for the inevitable complaints about "but...but...but...then I'd have to LUG around TWO handhelds!" Is "convenience" really worth rebuying your games?
The whole argument is that people DONOT want to rebuy their games for the sake of 'convenience'.

Whatever, Sony's atleast offering some sort of offer and not completely effing over UMD owners.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost great news, almost. Just the paying AGAIN for the UMD i bought in the first place.
Whatever makes you spend more money :creep:
It would be nice of sony if they let people download games for free that they bought on the PSP GO.

As much as i hate the idea of paying again, I'm still getting the Vita.
or you can do like I am doing and not trade in my psp so you can still play your UMDs without having to pay for them again...

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The whole argument is that people DONOT want to rebuy their games for the sake of 'convenience'.

Whatever, Sony's atleast offering some sort of offer and not completely effing over UMD owners.

Not sure if something got lost in translation...but we're on the same page here bud. There were multiple posts bitching about HAVING to rebuy games. That is what I was speaking towards.

As prowler_ and gameandmatch (and I) have stated, if you want to play your UMD games...keep your PSP.

If you feel a need to have access to both your Vita and your UMDs at all times, you may want to invest in a fanny-pack. ;)

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't there a project where Sony was "Supposed" to let PSP Go owners download the UMDs they own for free? :unsure:

No, that was people stating opinion as fact prior to the launch of the UMD-less Go.

Also this will inevitably be a let-down as people get their hopes up for something decent and then find the carpet pulled from under them when it's not. Expecting 50% off? Yeah, that won't happen.

LBP is now 2% off on the playstation store! :creep:

Mr.Mysterio

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

Not sure if something got lost in translation...but we're on the same page here bud. There were multiple posts bitching about HAVING to rebuy games. That is what I was speaking towards.

As prowler_ and gameandmatch (and I) have stated, if you want to play your UMD games...keep your PSP.

If you feel a need to have access to both your Vita and your UMDs at all times, you may want to invest in a fanny-pack. ;)
I should have probably worded my post differently. What I meant was that the people bitching about having to rebuy their games obviously doesn't consider the convenience factor really worth it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To everyone crying over having to pay a discounted price on PSP transferring, get over it. You repay for VC games, PSOne Classics, all that stuff, but of course you don't care since they're "old". Slapping a UMD drive on the Vita would be a giant waste. Considering you're getting an upgrade to a sweet screen and with two analog sticks, I think it's a fair trade off to pay a little bit for transferring. Plus games like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (a game that could really kick ass with two analog sticks) already cost $10, I don't see them going any higher.

Also, stop crying about a price you don't even know about. If you're going "WELL IT'S SONY" then you shouldn't even comment. They priced the system at $250, a more than reasonable price. They're not into the business of "overpricing" anymore, they learned that with the PS3.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a problem paying for a transfer. There are only a few games I own right now that I would want to play on Vita when it comes out any way.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If some people just thought a little before posting, they would have noticed that there's nothing wrong with this. If Vita supported UMDs, people would bitch just as much. And most of the solutions would be explotaible. For example, Vouchers for the UMDs people own would create a "market" for these. UMD reader is like the shitty addon 3DS is getting for 3DS (second analog), and even if it got one, people would complain about the battery dying 1 hour later.

Sony admiting that UMD was fail was one of the better things they did with Vita. Also, as some people have said already, you can always keep your PSP to play UMDs.

Anyway, this will probably be a program for Japan only.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The way I see it - no biggie at all. Provided you have the UMD's, you ALREADY have a PSP. If you don't want to transfer, don't transfer - nobody's forcing you to pay the horrendous price of a dollar or two.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Probably not, that would be rather backward anyway, since then everyone would get discounts.You would probably need the UMD and a PSP so that the game could be registered anyway

That's not what I meant. What I said was: "You already have a PSP, keep it and play your UMD's on it if you don't want to pay the transfer fee".

I'm all againts paying twice for the same thing, but I'm againts whining aswell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr