Vita FW Update 1.8 detailed

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Games & Content' started by Guild McCommunist, Aug 14, 2012.

Aug 14, 2012
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States

A new firmware update is coming for the Vita, bringing a host of new features.

Most notably is the addition of PSOne Classics to the system. However, there's more...

• A new Cross Controller mode will be added, allowing you to control your PS3 system and games with the Vita.
    • For the Music app, playlists will be added as well as being able to adjust playback speed and the addition of a repeat option in the Video player
    • Rear touchpad support is available for the zooming and scrolling on the web browser
    • Button support is available for the LiveArea screen and other apps such as Music and Videos
    • MPO support will be added for photos. Additionally, you can send photos as attachments in Group Messaging.

The update comes out August 28th.

:arrow: Source

1 person likes this.
  2. raing3

Member raing3 CNET_Richard

Australia
    I don't play PS1 games too often so it's great to know that there will be more in the upcoming update than just that.

The most important features for me would be support for using buttons to navigate the LiveArea (,..something I expected and wanted since release) and the ability to use the Vita as a PS3 controller.

I wasn't too happy with Marvel's implementation of the functionality in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom though since it often took me multiple attempts to get the devices connected and as soon as the PS3 controller turned off from not being used the PS Vita got disconnected. Being that Sony obviously have more control over the systems I doubt I have to worry about that happening again though. :D

3. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    I guess Sony is never going to include flash on their web browser.

4. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    Finally a big update, I was afraid for a sec that the Vita will update as much as the PSP did and barely add anything new.

5. MindC0ntroll

Newcomer MindC0ntroll Advanced Member

United States
    Wasn't there this guy on YouTube who was able to stream a PS3 game on his Vita and play BF3, Red dead Redemption with the Vita controls a couple of months back?

Anyway, I believe Sony did pretty well in Gamescon: Killzone Mercenary looks amazing, new IP from LBP devs, Cross Buy, 1.80 update for PSOne and PS3 streaming support

Now I feel much more secure with Sony and I have a feeling Vita's sales will turn for the better

Only problem I see is that knowing Sony, they won't advertise the features properly, which means the general casual gamers who know little about the Vita and don't keep up with the news won't know about all these awesome features. I REALLY hope Sony will advertise the Vita properly

6. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Nvm, apparently it only works with compatible games, still an awesome update though

7. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    :ninja:
    What's this I see? Multi-Picture-Object format? 3d pictures?
    Hmm... Somebody please explain this new devilry to me. What's Sony up to?

8. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    The format is supported; 3D and multiple angles won't be supported, though.

9. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The Vita already supports remote play for certain games I do believe although many people say it's kinda shit.

Apparently if you use homebrew the compatibility is widened and the quality is better though.

One person did however get their PC streaming to the Vita and played Left 4 Dead 2 on it.

10. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    Nice update ^^

Me want