Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well if the Wii U had a diffrent name it would have done well
Do people genuinely believe this?

a) Nintendo can do marketing (if nothing else they did it earlier with the Wii -- they shoved it in front of all the dribblers watching daytime TV, held contests, shoved it everywhere) and had the money to do so.
If there had somehow been some kind of widespread "oh it is just another wii fit type thing" (there might have been some but presumably mostly from the people that still call every console a sega) then they could have corrected for that.

b) The Wii U architecture was absolutely atrocious. The powerpc in the gamecube was not the worst thing in the world but whatever, overclocked for the Wii it was rather long in the tooth and then stapling three of them together and not paying any attention to the lessons the last however long of multicore processor design taught us made it a bad plan, and that was before being massively outclassed by the competition and also losing support of key engine developers (if they had waved a fat stack of the then not the most financially stable unreal peeps they would have had something, one also wonders if we would have had fortnite in such a world). Storage was also potentially a problem but easy enough to dodge if they had to.
By various accounts the dev kit setup was also nothing to write home about, or if it was then it was because it was not good.

c) The Wii U online was a joke and a rather bad one at this point. Now I might not care about online but it was the direction the industry was going and a half arsed effort might well have been worse than none.

Reactions: Flame

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
From the OP, I only (or at least at first glance) miss the one mentioned later :

They both were savagely beaten by the competition

I mean... Reggie and Iwata were barely done announcing their stuff or sony and Microsoft went all 'oh, but we're going to release a console that's much more powerful than this piece of junk!'.

The mobile market was changing rapidly as well (and still has, as witnessed by the lack of dedicated ones). The 3ds had a rough start, but at least it had gotten on track again by lowering the price considerably. The vita, however, was just too pricey for mainstream handheld gaming.

Of course it's not the only common factor, but I would say it's the most important one.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imo, shear power means nothing. that's like saying the music of today beats the music decades ago because tech has evolved. no, classics will always be classics. I can say that with each new iteration of playstation or even xbox, I'm more and more disappointed. final fantasy xvi, really? yeah, because final fantasy xiii and xv were that much better than vi and vii. how many chances are we going to give square enix not to fuck it up or any of these companies for that matter?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
For legacy consoles which both are now. both of them are homebrew beast with so much potential, homebrew wise. best legacy handheld Retroarch is on the vita, best legacy console Retroarch is on the Wii U.

but homebrew scene is limited on both course of the limited sales of the console itself which is probably the biggest factor. in the past we have seen some great homebrew on stuff like the Wii, DS and OG Xbox and even the 3DS. but this could be down the rise of smart phones. because in the past homebrews were more like test for young devs. who were learning they craft.

i mean it is still early days for the homebrew scene in general on both. considering people still do homebrew for every console it seems still to this day.

this is my opinion. yes switch homebrew scene is amazing. yes its very active. But thats the thing, i dont want to worry about getting banned and what not. you see i game first. ill probably hack my hackable Switch once i get that "New Switch Pro XL 4K". :yayswitch:

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For legacy consoles which both are now. both of them are homebrew beast with so much potential, homebrew wise. best legacy handheld Retroarch is on the vita, best legacy console Retroarch is on the Wii U.

but homebrew scene is limited on both course of the limited sales of the console itself which is probably the biggest factor. in the past we have seen some great homebrew on stuff like the Wii, DS and OG Xbox and even the 3DS. but this could be down the rise of smart phones. because in the past homebrews were more like test for young devs. who were learning they craft.

i mean it is still early days for the homebrew scene in general on both. considering people still do homebrew for every console it seems still to this day.

this is my opinion. yes switch homebrew scene is amazing. yes its very active. But thats the thing, i dont want to worry about getting banned and what not. you see i game first. ill probably hack my hackable Switch once i get that "New Switch Pro XL 4K". :yayswitch:

Should have got a second pre-Mariko Switch like me when they weren't getting scalped to Hell and back on eBay, brother. Toss in a better pair of Joy-Cons like the HORI ones (which are perfect as I struggle to think of any homebrew that actually uses gyro...actually, that would be kind of neat if the Horizon GZDoom port had that feature added to it when the dev finally gets around to fixing the RAM issues) and a portable battery that latches onto the back, and you got yourself the perfect homebrew package for a portable game system so far IMHO!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc