Hardware Vita 2nd gen vs New 3ds XL

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a New 3DS XL and I have a complaint. The casing is a step back into the stonage - you have to *unscrew* the backplate to access the microSD slot, what's up with that? What happened to the convenient flap on a normal slot? There - a complaint. :)

Sure, but how often are you going to be swapping out the memory card? I have a 32GB memory card in my 3DS, and I have never needed to replace it and it's not even half full. I imagine that is going to be the same with any potential future 3DS I own.

Besides, it's better then most phones these days...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sure, but how often are you going to be swapping out the memory card? I have a 32GB memory card in my 3DS, and I have never needed to replace it and it's not even half full. I imagine that is going to be the same with any potential future 3DS I own.

Besides, it's better then most phones these days...
I swap SD's all the time, I have loads of digital content. Worse than phones? Show me one contemporary phone that requires a screwdriver to swap cards. The New 3DS XL SD slot could only be worse if it was under the battery. Sorry, but this is a step backwards and terrible caveman design, especially for those who use System Transfer. Not only I had to open the system to swap SD's, I actually had to go through hoops copy pasting because guess what? The previous 3DS systems had fully-sized slots, so a direct SD transplant was impossible anyways. It's awkward, no matter how you look at it. Here's the thing - removable storage has to be removable, don't make that process more awkward than it has to be.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was saying most modern phones wont let you add an SD card AT ALL! The iPhone never has, and I've seen a trend with Android phones doing so too, not to mention SD cards are becoming more and more useless on Android because Google thinks people don't want that.

It really isn't "backwards" or awkward or anything like that, just different, and it sounds like you could probably do with a bigger memory card (which I find hard to believe you have THAT much software on your 3DS). You can get a 128GB micro SD card working if you format it correctly.

Every phone I've ever owned I've had to take off the battery cover to get to the SD card slot. Sure you didn't need a screw driver, but it was clear they weren't designed with swapping SD cards constantly in mind. If you're really complaining about how Nintendo didn't take into account that you refuse to buy a big enough SD card for your usage, that doesn't sound like Nintendo's fault here.

pikanag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a New 3DS XL and I have a complaint. The casing is a step back into the stone age - you have to *unscrew* the backplate to access the microSD slot, what's up with that? What happened to the convenient flap on a normal slot? There - a complaint. :)
yea it is a bit of an inconvenience if you are swapping sd cards alot, but having it INSIDE does make the n3ds look so much more cleaner and luxurious. because you don't have some rectangle thing on the side that has "SD CARD" engraved on it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was saying most modern phones wont let you add an SD card AT ALL! The iPhone never has, and I've seen a trend with Android phones doing so too, not to mention SD cards are becoming more and more useless on Android because Google thinks people don't want that.

It really isn't "backwards" or awkward or anything like that, just different, and it sounds like you could probably do with a bigger memory card (which I find hard to believe you have THAT much software on your 3DS). You can get a 128GB micro SD card working if you format it correctly.

Every phone I've ever owned I've had to take off the battery cover to get to the SD card slot. Sure you didn't need a screw driver, but it was clear they weren't designed with swapping SD cards constantly in mind. If you're really complaining about how Nintendo didn't take into account that you refuse to buy a big enough SD card for your usage, that doesn't sound like Nintendo's fault here.
That's not "most phones", that's a few instances. The screws are a problem and an inconvenience, they're in the way. Removable storage is called removable because you can freaking remove it, that's the whole point. You're defending a ridiculous decision, Nintendo created a previously non-existant issue, that's bad redesign. Even if I had a magical 2TB SD card running on fairy dust, I would still have to remove it to backup my data, so that point is completely moot. If you put a slot under the backplate of a portable, make the cover easily removable for god's sake.
yea it is a bit of an inconvenience if you are swapping sd cards alot, but having it INSIDE does make the n3ds look so much more cleaner and luxurious. because you don't have some rectangle thing on the side that has "SD CARD" engraved on it.
How is that more luxurious? It's the opposite, now the system has two exposed screws that will inevitably strip and look like crap.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not "most phones", that's a few instances. The screws are a problem and an inconvenience, they're in the way, removable storage is called removable because you can freaking remove it, that's the whole point, you're defending a ridiculous decision. If you put a slot under the backplate of a portable, make the cover easily removable for god's sake.

Have you seriously never used a phone? Almost all phones, if they allow you to swap memory cards, then you have to pry off the battery cover to get to the slot. I was mistaken in saying most new phones don't have the option at all however, but I have seen this in new phones and it's a trend that's growing.

Also, the memory card in the 3DS IS removable. They didn't glue shut the back panel, they let you access it and remove it, thus removable storage. You're complaining about ease of access, and you sound angry over the stupidest thing ever.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Have you seriously never used a phone? Almost all phones, if they allow you to swap memory cards, then you have to pry off the battery cover to get to the slot. I was mistaken in saying most new phones don't have the option at all however, but I have seen this in new phones and it's a trend that's growing.

Also, the memory card in the 3DS IS removable. They didn't glue shut the back panel, they let you access it and remove it, thus removable storage. You're complaining about ease of access, and you sound angry over the stupidest thing ever.
I can take off my phone cover on the go with just my hands, I can't do that with an N3DS XL unless I carry a screwdriver around, how is this hard to grasp? What good is removable storage if you can't easily remove it? I can remove an HDD from a laptop too but that's not removable storage because it's *screwed in*, it's not easily removable. If I need tools to get to the memory, I might as well call it internal, this solution is stupid.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, no, I don't honestly think you know what you're talking about and refuse to listen anymore. If it is SUCH a big deal, why the hell did you buy it in the first place?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, no, I don't honestly think you know what you're talking about and refuse to listen anymore. If it is SUCH a big deal, why the hell did you buy it in the first place?
I bought it because I like Nintendo and it was the perfect Christmas gift for my girlfriend who's also a big Nintendo fan. I wanted her to have something nobody else will be able to buy around here until later in 2015. I know exactly what I'm talking about - I had to deal with it during the initial setup and it was a massive waste of my time since I didn't have the right size screwdriver and I had to go out of my way to make the system usable. Unfortunately, clearly I'm not a real fan who's dedicated enough to import stuff from Australia, fans can't point out things they don't like in their products, cause y'know, real fans just universally like everything, no matter how inconvenient it is in comparison to the previously used solution.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I could see Micro SD Card access being really annoying. I don't use a smartphone, so my 3DS is my main source of portable music. If I had to mess with a screw every time I wanted to add a new track from OC Remix, I'd go nuts.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, I could see Micro SD Card access being really annoying. I don't use a smartphone, so my 3DS is my main source of portable music. If I had to mess with a screw every time I wanted to add a new track from OC Remix, I'd go nuts.
Thank God for the one sane person that gets me. :yaynds:

Reactions: TecXero

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
On a kind of related note, I see way too many posts on /r/3ds about people/kids stripping the screws on their system. It's weird because the rest of the 3ds is "super-noob" friendly.
It's really not an end of the world issue, but it is an annoyance. Screwed on covers feel like a throwback to the 1980ties or something on a cheap Chinese toy, not a top-end device coming from the industry leader. It's just one problem though, there's others, for instance the shorter stylus. I was always led to believe that the XL series was dedicated to adult gamers and people with big hands who'd have issues with the smaller version, making the stylus shorter seems to go against that. The faux metallic paint is also an issue since the system is a huge fingerprint magnet, they had it right with the matte paint they used on XL's. It's still a solid console, the improvements of the 3D screen are especially noteworthy, but some of the design choices do have me scratching my head wondering who thought they were good ideas.

D

Deleted-355425

I have a New 3DS XL and I have a complaint. The casing is a step back into the stone age - you have to *unscrew* the backplate to access the microSD slot, what's up with that? What happened to the convenient flap on a normal slot? There - a complaint. :)
Yea it sucks I thought I was going to break mine when taking it off on the XL.

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah big fuck up from Nintendo there. Any videos on how to take the backplate off which are good?

I haven't tried wireless transfer yet for the SD card but I'm guessing its possible/good? I might buy a 128gb SD card, drop it in the 3DS then thats that if wireless transfer works.

D

Deleted-355425

Yeah big fuck up from Nintendo there. Any videos on how to take the backplate off which are good?

I haven't tried wireless transfer yet for the SD card but I'm guessing its possible/good? I might buy a 128gb SD card, drop it in the 3DS then thats that if wireless transfer works.

i didn't want to break mine so i went real easy and got no where, so i watched the video and the device is pretty robust so i just used my fingers instead of the stylus tool and pulled the plate off, changed micro SD and put it together again.

here is Nintendos video guide. it shows N3DS and XL later on in.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Agreed. The New 3DS looks good, and was vastly improved, but what's up with that casing mechanism? Da hell is this? 1975?

I thought people were lying about that until I saw the ACTUAL review of the system.

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i didn't want to break mine so i went real easy and got no where, so i watched the video and the device is pretty robust so i just used my fingers instead of the stylus tool and pulled the plate off, changed micro SD and put it together again.

here is Nintendos video guide. it shows N3DS and XL later on in.

Thanks man.

Any news/videos on the wireless transfer option? Would be awesome if I could dump GW laucnchers that way.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank God for the one sane person that gets me. :yaynds:

Ok, another day, a calm mind (I hope). Let me explain what I was getting at.

I simply don't see needing to open the back of the 3DS like that as an issue, at least for my self. I have one 32GB SD card in my 3DS XL which still has plenty of free space on it, and when it comes to 3DS games, I download them more often then I go out to a store and buy them. As my SD card isn't close to full, I can't see the need to change it any time soon. I even have a high speed 32GB microSD card ready to go whenever it gets released here in North America. So no, I don't honestly see that it would be an issue, at least for me.

Then there's the whole removable storage bit. I think we are running off different definitions here. When I think of removable storage, I think of stuff like hard drives in my PC or PS3. Something designed to be replaced by a user if needed, and the new 3DS certainly falls under that. You were thinking (at least I think you were) about stuff like flash drives and what not. Something you can just plug in and remove with little to no effort, and I get that. And I guess the original 3DS was like that, but I don't think it was designed with that in mind (try removing an SD card while the system is on).

I was trying to get across my point, you were trying to get across yours, I was getting annoyed that you didn't seem to want to listen, you were annoyed with the same.

And I don't consider my self a fanboy of anything, I'm willing to call out faults of everything I own, I just can't see the micro SD card placement on the New 3DS being a problem. At least not for me.

That make sense?

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok, another day, a calm mind (I hope). Let me explain what I was getting at.

I simply don't see needing to open the back of the 3DS like that as an issue, at least for my self. I have one 32GB SD card in my 3DS XL which still has plenty of free space on it, and when it comes to 3DS games, I download them more often then I go out to a store and buy them. As my SD card isn't close to full, I can't see the need to change it any time soon. I even have a high speed 32GB microSD card ready to go whenever it gets released here in North America. So no, I don't honestly see that it would be an issue, at least for me.

Then there's the whole removable storage bit. I think we are running off different definitions here. When I think of removable storage, I think of stuff like hard drives in my PC or PS3. Something designed to be replaced by a user if needed, and the new 3DS certainly falls under that. You were thinking (at least I think you were) about stuff like flash drives and what not. Something you can just plug in and remove with little to no effort, and I get that. And I guess the original 3DS was like that, but I don't think it was designed with that in mind (try removing an SD card while the system is on).

I was trying to get across my point, you were trying to get across yours, I was getting annoyed that you didn't seem to want to listen, you were annoyed with the same.

And I don't consider my self a fanboy of anything, I'm willing to call out faults of everything I own, I just can't see the micro SD card placement on the New 3DS being a problem. At least not for me.

That make sense?

It makes sense.

But the fact that you have to unscrew the back just to switch an SD card, is utterly ridiculous in 2015, for ANY device. Regardless of it being a small step back.

I haven't even seen a device that requires that in years.

It's like buying a new computer that is much more powerful than the one you had before, but this new PC only works with 90's bulgy square monitors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...