Hacking Visual Boy Advance probs.

leonhart83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

So I made the leap last night and I installed the homebrew channel and besides the occassional bad checksum errors when attempting to navigate back too far in some apps [nes emulator] (I assume this normal can someone confirm that) it seems to run fine.

The only application that doesn't seem to run is the vba install. I have downloaded it from the app list section so when I extract it, it created the correct folder etc that were needed.

Now when I run the application a black screen with white writing (similar to dos) appears with the version number of the application. It also flickers across the screen vertically (can you fix this? I believe it is because my tv only supports 50hertz). I cannot get any further than this. I was wondering whether there was anything else I needed to do to get this to work?

I have the lastest version of homebrew channel 1.8 beta and the latest version of vba 1.72 i believe it is, but I am still having a problem.

Any help would be great with the two issues (bad checksum and vba).

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Try it through Twilight Hack or there is an channel for it (topic was called Full WAD channels!) and see if it's problem with your TV. I had the problems with Rin emulator, it couldn't run as a channel, I needed to run it through Twilight Hack.

Oh, and welcome to GBAtemp!

leonhart83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
Try it through Twilight Hack or there is an channel for it (topic was called Full WAD channels!) and see if it's problem with your TV. I had the problems with Rin emulator, it couldn't run as a channel, I needed to run it through Twilight Hack.

Ok I guess I will try it through the Twilight Hack but I am sure that it was built to run on its own. VBA is awesome for the PC and on the Wii would be pure bliss. Is there anyone who has this working correctlly. I think the flickering might just be due to the PAL and the crappy tv.

P.S thanks for the welcome.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
leonhart83 said:
skawo96 said:

Ok I guess I will try it through the Twilight Hack but I am sure that it was built to run on its own. VBA is awesome for the PC and on the Wii would be pure bliss. Is there anyone who has this working correctlly. I think the flickering might just be due to the PAL and the crappy tv.

P.S thanks for the welcome.
I have it as a channel form. I have tried it through TH. I don't tried through HBC. But don't expect it the same as on Pc, you'll see why.

PS. No prob. I also startel like that, but I had a problem with Snes9X.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Eternal Myst said:
Just wondering.
Sometimes when I play most games.The frame speed is faster than usual.
Is it supposed to be like that?
I run the emulator from the HBC.
Well, this emulator is (for me) not complete. I also heard that there was version that used frameskipping, so some games runned faster

woody0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i was trying the VBA through the HBC a few nights ago, i didnt have the same problems as you but pokemon emerald wouldnt run at all, no matter how many different versions i tried or how many places i downloaded it from. all i really tried were pokemon games, besides emerald, all the others just gave me a white screen when they loaded, have i done something wrong?

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current build of VBA is forced at PAL 60. I've been working on trying to fix this... but current devkitppc's compiler (even with 4GB of RAM!!!) runs out of memory compiling my fixes. This is apparently a known problem.

leonhart83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PKGINGO said:
The current build of VBA is forced at PAL 60. I've been working on trying to fix this... but current devkitppc's compiler (even with 4GB of RAM!!!) runs out of memory compiling my fixes. This is apparently a known problem.

I am using a PAL wii on an old tv. I can't remember is it the old tv's that run in 50hz mode or 60hz? I can't remember. Either way if it is the one that isn't supported by old tv's then it makes sense.

I just don't know how to navigate passed the flickering dos looking screen. Is that the screen that states to sync your wii mote or something because no matter which button I push wiimote and gamecube controller did not let me passed.

EDIT: I am going to try one of the wad file with both versions of the vba channel 60 & normal and see what happens as well whilst I wait for a reply.

Micky

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
leonhart83 said:
PKGINGO said:

I am using a PAL wii on an old tv. I can't remember is it the old tv's that run in 50hz mode or 60hz? I can't remember. Either way if it is the one that isn't supported by old tv's then it makes sense.

I just don't know how to navigate passed the flickering dos looking screen. Is that the screen that states to sync your wii mote or something because no matter which button I push wiimote and gamecube controller did not let me passed.

EDIT: I am going to try one of the wad file with both versions of the vba channel 60 & normal and see what happens as well whilst I wait for a reply.

Micky

You TV is very old? I mean it have 20-10years? It's higly likely that you have 50HZ TV. On 50Hz it will not WAIT, what do you have in system menu settings? 50 or 60? If you have 60 and everything right, then no, you rather have 60Hz...When I popped my GameCube into 50HZ TV with 60HZ mode it was unplayable.

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leonhart83 said:
PKGINGO said:

Micky

When you get to the console screen you speak of, it is simply a ROM listing. Press 2 to load a ROM. Note it takes quite a while to do that. Especially with 16MB ROMs. Oddly, on my friends TV running 480i ntsc via composite cables... it worked just fine...

The issue is compiling GBA.o goes into some crazy memory hungry loop. They really need to fix this in devkitppc. I am not downgrading my entire toolchain to a version with very buggy libraries just to compile
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans