zaaza13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ph34r.gif
My computer froze and I had to shut it down, but when I opened it again and plugged in the Flashcart, it says it needs to be formatted to be working. But when I opened my TTDS, it works fine. I can't connect the flashcart to Vista, any solutions?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the MicroSD is firmly in the slot, then plug it back in.
I've had it happen to me a few times, and there's no real good answer to give.
If it doesn't work after a few tries, load up a game and play for a few minutes and maybe save, then try again. If it still doesn't work, try resetting your PC.

(How the hell did I hit "W" when going for "M"??)

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vista's probably having conniptions because (due to the crash) it didn't get to close the memory card properly. Clearly your data's still there, if your DSTT can read it, so you should be able to access it in your PC, so long as you can get past this silly error.

What is the exact wording of the error message Vista is giving you? And have you tried looking at your card's drive despite the error? Vista used to bitch at me over something or other on my sony memstick, but I could still access it.

zaaza13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tbgtbg said:
Vista's probably having conniptions because (due to the crash) it didn't get to close the memory card properly. Clearly your data's still there, if your DSTT can read it, so you should be able to access it in your PC, so long as you can get past this silly error.

What is the exact wording of the error message Vista is giving you? And have you tried looking at your card's drive despite the error? Vista used to bitch at me over something or other on my sony memstick, but I could still access it.

When I plug in the flash card, it pops up a window saying "You need to format this to be able to run properly" (something like that) and there's a Format button and a Cancel one. If You press Cancel, and you check the propertities, it shows the memory is 0b. And if I double click it, it says you need to plug in a device (something like that).
Please help me, I have precious data and songs there. If anyone has a backup program that I can use before I format it, then please give it to me. Thanks

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That means your file allocation table is corrupted and Windows Vista thinks it might be caused by a viral infection. The only permanent solution for this is to format the TF card in question. That doesn't help, however, when it comes to getting your data off of there. Your best bet for that would be to use a different OS to back up the savegames and whatever else you want to save from that TF before you reformat it. Naturally you don't want to install a second OS on your computer just to do this, but fortunately for you, there are plenty of live cd free OS distros out there for you to download, burn, and use.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
twit21 said:
That means your file allocation table is corrupted and Windows Vista thinks it might be caused by a viral infection.
No...
First off, Microsoft OS' don't have a built in antivirus tool so there's no way it would think it's a 'viral infection'.
Secondly, I'm pretty sure if the FAT was corrupted then it wouldn't be able to be read on the DS either.

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can think that if you like. Consider this for a moment, however: the FAT is a redundant system. There are always two copies of it, and if they don't agree with each other, some operating systems won't read the volume. Just because an OS doesn't "have a built in antivirus tool" doesn't mean a programmer working on that OS might not have programmed a refusal to read a volume if the two FAT copies don't agree with each other into the OS on the assumption that single copy FAT corruption can be indicative of some types of viral infection.

There's a big "but" here, and it's not the one I'm sitting on. Windows Vista doesn't like it when the FAT on a volume gets even the slightest bit corrupted, but some simpler hardware operating systems don't care if the two FAT copies don't agree with each other. As long as one of the FATs is readable, the volume will be read.

To the OP: I don't know why I didn't think of this yesterday, but it occurred to me at about four o'clock this morning that you might be able to make your transflash card readable with this DOS command in Vista:

Code:
chkdsk /f drive:
Where "drive:" is the drive letter of your TF card. It's worth a try, and it can't harm your card or its data.

zaaza13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
twit21 said:
You can think that if you like. Consider this for a moment, however: the FAT is a redundant system. There are always two copies of it, and if they don't agree with each other, some operating systems won't read the volume. Just because an OS doesn't "have a built in antivirus tool" doesn't mean a programmer working on that OS might not have programmed a refusal to read a volume if the two FAT copies don't agree with each other into the OS on the assumption that single copy FAT corruption can be indicative of some types of viral infection.

There's a big "but" here, and it's not the one I'm sitting on. Windows Vista doesn't like it when the FAT on a volume gets even the slightest bit corrupted, but some simpler hardware operating systems don't care if the two FAT copies don't agree with each other. As long as one of the FATs is readable, the volume will be read.

To the OP: I don't know why I didn't think of this yesterday, but it occurred to me at about four o'clock this morning that you might be able to make your transflash card readable with this DOS command in Vista:

Code:
chkdisk /f drive:
Where "drive:" is the drive letter of your TF card. It's worth a try, and it can't harm your card or its data.

Where do I enter the command? In the command promet? I am bad at computers =P

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you'd need to open a command prompt. Easiest shortcut for that (for me, anyway) is to hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to open the "Run..." dialog, then enter "cmd" in the text window and press Enter. From there you will find yourself looking at ye olde black and white command prompt. Just enter the text I quoted as code above, but don't forget to substitute the correct drive letter for your transflash card!

Since you're unfamiliar with this procedure, I'll explain: chkdsk is the Microsoft Check Disk program. By itself it just quickly checks the operational status of the data space on a drive or disk (by querying the FAT) and reports that information to you. By adding the /f (or /r, which is more thorough) switch you've just told the program to fix any errors it finds. If chkdsk /f drive: doesn't do the trick, then try chkdsk /r drive: - that can sometimes fix stuff that /f can't.

zaaza13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
twit21 said:
Yeah, you'd need to open a command prompt. Easiest shortcut for that (for me, anyway) is to hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to open the "Run..." dialog, then enter "cmd" in the text window and press Enter. From there you will find yourself looking at ye olde black and white command prompt. Just enter the text I quoted as code above, but don't forget to substitute the correct drive letter for your transflash card!

Since you're unfamiliar with this procedure, I'll explain: chkdsk is the Microsoft Check Disk program. By itself it just quickly checks the operational status of the data space on a drive or disk (by querying the FAT) and reports that information to you. By adding the /f (or /r, which is more thorough) switch you've just told the program to fix any errors it finds. If chkdsk /f drive: doesn't do the trick, then try chkdsk /r drive: - that can sometimes fix stuff that /f can't.

When I put in the command, it says the drive is RAW? that does that mean?... I tried to format my flash cart, but it is unable to and i tried with serveral formatter. Still not ablt to format even though I got most of my backup already... Is my flash cart broken?

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RAW means that the FAT is missing or is so corrupt at the OS can't make head or tail of it. You tried to format it and failed? That would explain the RAW status. If a Windows GUI formatter can't handle it, then very likely yes, your TF card is for all intents and purposes shot.*

*You could try to create a new partition on the transflash card and see if that jumpstarts it for you. That might be a bit advanced for you if you're really unfamiliar with computers, however. If you want to have a look, you can access a pretty powerful GUI version of fdisk by entering diskmgmt.msc into the "Run..." dialog. Be very careful in that app, though, because if you muck about with the wrong drive (they're all clearly labelled) you could hose your system. Nothing that can't be fixed by reinstalling Windows, mind you, but you'd still lose all your data if you made a mistake and deleted your boot or system disk partition.

zaaza13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
twit21 said:
RAW means that the FAT is missing or is so corrupt at the OS can't make head or tail of it. You tried to format it and failed? That would explain the RAW status. If a Windows GUI formatter can't handle it, then very likely yes, your TF card is for all intents and purposes shot.*

*You could try to create a new partition on the transflash card and see if that jumpstarts it for you. That might be a bit advanced for you if you're really unfamiliar with computers, however. If you want to have a look, you can access a pretty powerful GUI version of fdisk by entering diskmgmt.msc into the "Run..." dialog. Be very careful in that app, though, because if you muck about with the wrong drive (they're all clearly labelled) you could hose your system. Nothing that can't be fixed by reinstalling Windows, mind you, but you'd still lose all your data if you made a mistake and deleted your boot or system disk partition.

I tried to create new volume and format... But when i create new volume, after the setup is shows an error saying "Date error (cyclic redundancy check)"
What do I do? Also then i plugged in the flash cart it says all my spaces are Unallocated, does that mean it is not functional? I can still run the flash cart with my TTDS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS... how come my computer won't reconize it then?????????

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zaaza13 said:
I can still run the flash cart with my TTDS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS...
You can? You mean to tell me that after attempting to format, then deleting the partition and creating a new one, and formatting again, you can put that micro SD card in your DSTT and boot a game off of it?

One last thing to check: what's the capacity of that TF card? Is it a SDHC card or a normal SD? I'm wondering if you're plugging it into a reader that might have issues with SDHC, or even just a faulty reader period.

zaaza13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
twit21 said:
zaaza13 said:
You can? You mean to tell me that after attempting to format, then deleting the partition and creating a new one, and formatting again, you can put that micro SD card in your DSTT and boot a game off of it?

One last thing to check: what's the capacity of that TF card? Is it a SDHC card or a normal SD? I'm wondering if you're plugging it into a reader that might have issues with SDHC, or even just a faulty reader period.

No when I tried to create new volume - failed, format - failed. Say it's a RAW drive. I can still run it in my TTDS but can't open it in the computer because I gotta refresh my data and add some new games to it.

I have a Kingston SD---4GB 10 MIRCROSD HC 4GB C04G JAPAN

It just doesn't read my sd card thinking it's RAW when I can run it normally in my TTDS
Do I have to buy a new SD card? Cause I cant
mad.gif
mad.gif

anaxs

got milk, got candy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
its probably a messed up adapter, try using a different one
also test it out on another computer, there could be a file in the msd that the computer dest want in it so maybe thats why its doing that
its happened to me once with my r4 and there was a corrupted file in it s when i got rid of that i was all set, but that was along time ago

zaaza13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anaxs said:
its probably a messed up adapter, try using a different one
also test it out on another computer, there could be a file in the msd that the computer dest want in it so maybe thats why its doing that
its happened to me once with my r4 and there was a corrupted file in it s when i got rid of that i was all set, but that was along time ago

Can you tell me how to get rid of the corrupted file? I tried pluging it in my XP but it didn't work. Help me please/ I have to update my TTDS tp run my favourite game -POKEMON!!!!!!!!!

zaaza13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anaxs said:
what does it say when u plug it in using windows xp

same as Vista. You need to format this drive before using. But when I press format, it says "Windows is unable to format this drive"
What did u do to make ur r4 work again?

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zaaza13 said:
twit21 said:
zaaza13 said:

No when I tried to create new volume - failed, format - failed. Say it's a RAW drive. I can still run it in my TTDS but can't open it in the computer because I gotta refresh my data and add some new games to it.

It just doesn't read my sd card thinking it's RAW when I can run it normally in my TTDS
mad.gif
mad.gif

That's a SDHC card. Are you sure your reader for the PC is SDHC compatible?

zaaza13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
twit21 said:
zaaza13 said:
twit21 said:
zaaza13 said:

mad.gif
mad.gif

That's a SDHC card. Are you sure your reader for the PC is SDHC compatible?

Well, it used to work until I had to force shut down my computer. but it still works. when i put in this game, it stopped working
is there a way to delete files from ur ttds?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1