Vista says its not genuine.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Theraima, Oct 2, 2010.

Oct 2, 2010

Vista says its not genuine. by Theraima at 5:59 PM (933 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Theraima
    OP

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    Hey there, Im back with a problem. I booted my vista, its been a little while since last time but I remember that it was updating through Windows Update. Now, when I boot it it says that I must activate the vista to finish the process. I chose activate later so I could do some stuff with it.. Anyhow, Ive had this computer for roughly about 2 years, and now its saying that its not genuine? wtf man. Could anyone help me with this? I beg you.

2. Clookster

Banned Clookster Your Clookster

Switzerland
    Well... Is it true?

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Sometimes the genuine notification thing gets a lil bit confused, especially if you start connecting to the internet from a different source than normal (i.e. not from your own phone number) or if you change a lot of parts (like the motherboard). Reactivation is simply a matter of going through the process and calling Microsoft. Providing that your copy of Vista is actually genuine (which it sounds to be), it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to reactivate.

I can't remember specifically how to, but I think it had something to do with getting a number from somewhere (either from Windows itself or from Microsoft) then having to tell that number to the other source (either into Windows itself or to the person at Microsoft). Something like that.

4. Kutxiii

Member Kutxiii GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
  5. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    theres a program that just removes all the authentication stuff i did it almost a year ago and have had no probelems, you can still update through windows and everything, im on windows 7 though im not sure if its different or not

6. XoxconnorxoX

Newcomer XoxconnorxoX Advanced Member

Australia
    the cp parts my mum bought of ebaay were stolen from some guys office and it came up with xp isnt genuine

7. boof222

Member boof222 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I thought it meant that it was a pirated copy (hence the words not genuine)
    But then again the computers at school say this which aroused my suspicions. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    use linux then you wont have any more WGA issues lol only jking

9. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Many times schools will just "ghost" one system setup (and licence) onto every other computer in the network. I believe you can get a special licence for this (one key to around 30 computers - specifically for academic systems) or the administrator would need to overwrite the licence with a unique one for each computer (which many administrators are too lazy to do, even though you can configure that with a simple batch file on a USB key). It's EXTREMELY unlikely for a school to pirate Windows, a) because they could easily get sued for this, and b) because many schools get Windows for a very low price (and the students can actually get a copy for free through them too).

Although really, you should know if your copy of Windows is pirated or not. If you're not the one who installed it, then you shouldn't be dealing with the problem (unless you bought the system with Windows already on it, in which case it's supposed to be genuine anyway or it's technically illegal).