Gaming Vista or XP?

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
Vista is pretty dire in most respects, from the UAC annoyance to the problems with running existing software, lots of DRM built in - which means software usually runs slower etc. It does have some pretty graphic tricks though - these can be made to appear on XP via one of the themes packs though.

One of the sites I visit tends to refer to Vista as "Mell" - short for Windows Millenium version 2.

Unless you have a top spec machine with a minimum of 2 Gig of RAM, patience of a saint and a requirement to run games with Direct X 10 support then XP is probably your best option.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even with SP1 out for Vista, I can't recommend it to anybody, they still have shitty drivers abound, my printer that's not even 2 years old keeps on getting "lost" somehow on the only PC on the house that is running Vista. XP SP3 + BricoPaks + RocketDock = pretty much all the eyecandy of Vista Aero with the stability you've come to love with XP.

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lisa_ said:
Well im gonna get a new hard-drive so i can put vista on it. But should I? or keeep XP

why not just dual-boot? my laptop came with vista pre-installed...but alot of my software wont work in vista, or it runs slow so i installed xp on my laptop also and now have the choice of either.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't even bother going through the process of reading the rest of the posts, I'll summarize the future replies for you.

"Vista sucks. XP can have all the eye candy that Vista has blah blah blah driver issues, need crazy specs, etc" - 80% of replies

"People bash Vista too much I've been using it and I think its just swell. I think it look really cool and it works okay thats all I care about oh and here's some made-up statistics" - 15% of replies

"I actually have an intelligent opinion on the debate, but my comment will be overlooked because 95% of the replies are made by idiots" - 5% of the replies

D

Deleted-22521

Urza said:
Don't even bother going through the process of reading the rest of the posts, I'll summarize the future replies for you.

"Vista sucks. XP can have all the eye candy that Vista has blah blah blah driver issues, need crazy specs, etc" - 80% of replies

"People bash Vista too much I've been using it and I think its just swell. I think it look really cool and it works okay thats all I care about oh and here's some made-up statistics" - 15% of replies

"I actually have an intelligent opinion on the debate, but my comment will be overlooked because 95% of the replies are made by idiots" - 5% of the replies

You forgot the tiny 0.1% of people who will say: "Just forget Vista and XP, the suck, get a Mac!"
There, maybe I am part of that 0.1%...

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im running vista ultimate 64 edition

im currently loving it with uac turned off.

I have never had any driver issues or stability problems, except for tf2 acting up sometimes.

Other than that vista has been good to me.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kemfou said:
Urza said:

You forgot the tiny 0.1% of people who will say: "Just forget Vista and XP, the suck, get a Mac!"
Ah right. Mac/Lrnix zealots will grab at least a few %; although a small number of them will fall under the "I actually have an intelligent opinion on the debate, but my comment will be overlooked because 95% of the replies are made by idiots" category.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
It all depends on what you need. If you have more than 2 gigs of RAM, want to play some DirectX 10 games then I would recommend Vista. However, since you have 2 Hard drives, why not just make a dual boot and use whichever when it is appropriate? I plan to do that once I get Vista.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Vista, and I dislike it. I like XP Pro way better... Currently I'm using Vista Home Premium (Came with my computer) and it fails... The 'aero' effects just slow it down... That's why I'm using the theme without it
biggrin.gif
UAC was pretty annoying, but I just disabled mine, so that's alright, though some programs still need to be right-cliked->Run as Administrator for some reason...

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People that like XP, well I'm happy to let them like their Vista. I need something to laugh at after all.

XP isn't the second coming, but it also isn't an annoying POS TODAY. Who cares what XP was on day 1, it isn't day 1 anymore.

Your choices are XP that works, or Vista, the program Bill's already busy replacing.

Vista might as well be called MEmk2

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
kemfou said:
Urza said:

that percent is on crack!!

(flame war! GO!!! GO!!! GO!!!)

xp does what macnintendont

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Urzas post was on target.

I personally use both Vista and Windows, on different machines. I found that Vista is XP with more "features" included, and a nicer theme. If your computer can afford to run it, then get it.

elenar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have plenty of fast RAM, a fast processor, and an excellent video card, then you have _no business_ running windows XP. I experience a less than 5% drop in framerate in most games that i play, and in terms of overall "responsiveness" vista _feels_ 100% better.

That having been said....if you have a slow processor, not very much RAM, or an entry-level video card, you have NO BUSINESS running vista. It will slow you down, and you won't be able to run anything.

Personally, after turning off User Account Control, i've had no problem running it. I haven't logged into my XP dual boot in over a year. My roommate is running Vista Ultimate x64 (mine is just 32 bit because i'm too lazy to reinstall) and has had very few problems getting anything to run after turning off driver signing.

Our opinion is that people who hate Vista, either have a crappy computer, or don't know how to fiddle with their OS to tweak it to their own liking.

If you fall into either of those categories, XP is definately the answer.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Urza - I guess my response falls under your first category. To be clear, however, XP is now what, 7 years old? It is super stable, at least in comparison to what it once was. Just about any device or software you'd want to run on it runs well, my system has 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM, and I can do just about anything on there, multitasking wise, and rarely bump into any issues. The following is a more in-depth response, explaining why I have desktops running both XP and Vista, and prefer the former quite a deal more. No flames or malice intended in this post, sometimes I use the Vista PC without a hitch. This is not that story though.

Now one of the other computers in this house is similarly spec'd to the XP PC, it was picked up only a few months ago, and sadly was pre-loaded with Vista Home Premium. I have a lot of the same programs on both PCs and one is a clear champion in getting stuff done, while the other one forgets how to wake up from sleep mode.

I liked the idea of Vista initially, I actually beta tested it what, two years ago, or whenever the public beta started... but I think the big problem Microsoft is having is that they tried to do too much with Vista and failed on a lot of fronts. The new FileSystem... what happened to it? I don't know. There are thousands, hundreds of thousand, maybe even a million programs for Windows, and they worry about backward compatibility, why couldn't they have just said... "nope, this is a new OS, you're going to need new shit to get this working on your device" Not including the whole debacle over having half a dozen different versions of the same OS shipping. XP had what, 3? Home edition, Professional and then 64 bit, right?

And its not just the fact that my printer which says "Vista compatible" on the manufacturer's website works fine with the one desktop running XP but the Vista machine "forgets" it has a printer and then re-installs 6 Epson printers and forgets which one is the default.

And yes, there are days I get on the Vista machine (oh, it was pre-loaded, with no way to downgrade easily when purchased) and nothing ill happens, it just does it job. Sometimes it does.

XP isn't the end all be all for OSes. It is dependable though, especially in recent years. I cannot say the same for Vista. The fact that people are irritated by the lack of compatibility, everyone dragging their feet on drivers, eating RAM for breakfast, the UAC, and other assorted goodies, if someone wants to avoid issues, isn't a complete noob with a computer, why in god's name would you recommend something that isn't going to have the kinks worked out for at least another year, even after SP1?

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Easy.
XP is BAD for the never High spec PC's like mine. XP Runs like crap on Quad Core + 4GB Ram.
Vista is made for PC's with higher specs. Now after 2 months my PC still only takes 20 secconds to boot op. While my XP installation quickly fucked up and began taking 4-5 minnutes to startup.

.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you don't want to play games then just install a linux distro like ubuntu.

You can test ubuntu before installing by using the live cd and to make the installation even easier you can install ubuntu from windows as if it was a program.

Linkiboy said:
Wow, Urzas post was on target.

I personally use both Vista and Windows, on different machines. I found that Vista is XP with more "features" included, and a nicer theme. If your computer can afford to run it, then get it.
When did Vista get booted out of the "Windows" category, lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm