HARD DRIVE - 1Tb SATAII Hard Drive
CARD READER - No Card Reader
OPTICAL DRIVE - Blu-Ray Writer
GRAPHICS MODE - Crossfire
GRAPHICS CARD 1 - Radeon 4870x2 - 2Gb DDR5 Graphics Card
GRAPHICS CARD 2 - Radeon 4870x2 - 2Gb DDR5 Graphics Card
SOUNDCARD - 8 Channel Audio

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/yoyotech-intel-f...o-p-779973.html

What OS would you people advise for this computer when I want to use it for gaming.
And what version of that OS?

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Obviously, XP regardless of what use you will give the PC. But, if you want it for gaming, games on XP usually have much less requirements than games in Vista, so go with XP... although you won't have any problems running anything in that PC
laugh.gif

PS: Get XP
wink.gif

Edit: Ah, yes... I forgot about RAM limitations in XP. Unfortunately, you'll have to use Vista... I say "unfortunately" because, and even though it's been improved with the SP1, it is still a rushed and incomplete product that does not perform as it should.

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't Vista 64-bit be the better choice for gaming? It uses DX10, so graphics would look so much better than DX9 on WinXP.
64-bit so it'll fully utilize your RAM.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
delta123 said:
for faster boot and faster access to files.

also forgot lower power consumption.

are these SSDs so much faster? The SLC one in my EeePC (ok this is a bad example ;d) isn't faster than my 7,2k RPM HDD (a samsung one IIRC)
And Power consumption in such a power beast? O.0

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Raki said:
delta123 said:

are these SSDs so much faster? The SLC one in my EeePC (ok this is a bad example ;d) isn't faster than my 7,2k RPM HDD (a samsung one IIRC)

I was looking into SSDs a while back, and for the price they arent that great. Lower power consumption yes, but they have longer write times then standard mechanical drives and marginally quicker read times, for the price of a good SSD you could get a far superior standard drive which is far faster and has a much bigger capacity.

El Blacksheep

Trophies
Website
tryorke.no-ip.info
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
Raki said:
delta123 said:

I was looking into SSDs a while back, and for the price they arent that great. Lower power consumption yes, but they have longer write times then standard mechanical drives and marginally quicker read times, for the price of a good SSD you could get a far superior standard drive which is far faster and has a much bigger capacity.

You're missing the point. You install the OS and maybe your most-used applications on the SSD, and all your data storage / games / media / etc on a regular HDD. That way you benefit from the speed of the SSD and still get all the storage capacity of the regular HDD.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
No im not missing the point, like I said write times are longer and read times are marginally quicker, but not as fast as a 10.000 rpm sata drive generally.

The only advantage of SSD is lower power consumption and the fact they are jog proof, good for laptops, pointless for desktops!
yaypsp.gif

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SSDs have limited write cycles. Mechanical harddrives don't, but there's a possibility that they could fail.
Weigh the pros and cons I guess.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the price of a good 128 SSD, why not get a single Raptor HDD or get 2 and raid them?

As for OS, Vista 64-bit is fine. Again, detractors generally do not know much about computers i.e. the argument that Vista is slower than XP (it's not, really it isn't!).

Also, you should consider that a lot of the new games are heavily geared towards Vista, especially the 64-bit flavor, like Crysis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night