Vista - Differnces between Home Premium and Ultimate

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by juggernaut911, Jul 7, 2008.

1. juggernaut911
    OP

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    hey

I was wondering whether the differences between Vista HP and ultimate were subtle or are there any important or useful things?

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Ultimate is easier to pirate than Premium

3. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    How so?

4. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    Uhh... It has ultimate in the name, so.... it would get uploaded/seeded more often.

5. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    I don't think that there's anything usefull or noticeable.

Only thing that I've noticed is that with ultimate you get some extra downloads from windows update like "Hold 'Em - poker game" oO

6. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    I could check, but I'm too lazy to boot into vista atm. I think there was an entire folder in the control panel with Vista Ultimate-only apps. Not sure tho.

Edit- w/e I guess I'll boot up Vista. All I'm doing is websurfing anyway.

Here ya go. These are what are included in Vista Ultimate Extras.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...te/default.mspx

7. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
  8. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    it looks like (according to the comparison chart) that the only features I'd use at all are included in HP. looks like I'm saving a bit of money. dont know why I didnt check the chart before.

9. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You get the Ultimate Extras, which sucks!!! And the business end of networking. This means you can set up a Remote Desktop Server instead of just having the client. It also comes with BitLocker, which is a security function, mostly useful for laptops.

10. Goloki

Member Goloki GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Oh, come on... you're basically pointing a gun to my forehead and making me ask this: "How easy is pirating Vista nowadays?" [​IMG] XP is fairly easy to pirate, while getting all the benefits of a legit copy, buy what about Vista? I'm not planning on upgrading any soon, though I'm curious about this issue, as Vista was supposed to be heavily protected against viri, hacks and all that.

11. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Ultimate is more expensive, has more features, I think it is more laggy and it is for high-end computers with out-of-this-world specs. Home Premium is just like MCE that's gone through a makeover.

Similarities - they both suck...

12. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No. Vista Home Premium and Ultimate run exactly the same. The only one that runs different is Basic, and that's because it does not feature the Aero Glass skin.

13. ninja_07

Newcomer ninja_07 Advanced Member

Armenia
    I heard somewhere that if want to use over 2.5 gb of RAM, you need a 64x ultimate/home premium

14. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

32-bit Windows can only address up to 4GB of RAM, but that includes graphics RAM too. If you have a 512MB graphics card, for example, and 4GB of RAM, you'll only see 3.5GB of RAM in 32-bit Windows.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Also, the statement "Ultimate is easier to pirate because it gets seeded more often" is ridiculous, any Vista Home Premium ISO is compatible with any Vista Ultimate ISO and vice-versa. If you wanted Home Premium, you could download an Ultimate ISO and give it a Home Premium DVD key and it would still install Home Premium (this also goes for Business and Home Basic, but not Enterprise). Of course, there might be more Ultimate DVD keys floating around, but that's hard to gague because (probably) more Home Premium copies have been legally sold.

15. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I have home premium and one thing i realized sadly is virtual PC 2007 can't be installed on it. I was planning to have a XP install with Virtual Pc (wich is free) but can't do it on Home premium [​IMG]

16. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Actually, there is only one Vista file, just that some features are disabled in the other versions(though they're still there). U is all features unlocked.

17. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Well, Vista is not as bad as everyone make it out to be, however, I also dual boot it with MacOSX. For gaming and everything in general, it is Vista since I am SOOO used to the whole windows interface. For Video editing and Music editing and all that multi-media crap, I use OSX.

18. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    well would you guys pay for ultimate? is it worth it to you guys? the features listed are mostly the lame ones windows says but never say the helpful ones.

19. starfox468

Member starfox468 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    No, I would not pay for ultimate, all those programs, I can download, vista sucks anyway, it's like godzilla's inside your computer, attacking your RAM

20. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States