Vitaminer

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bought a brand new vita from Walmart last night and it came with 3.51 so I have updated to 3.60 and installed Henkaku, everything seems fine until I stumbled across some articles online concerning vita bricks, and that some people made malicious vpk that if you install it will brick your vita, so I wonder if there is any program available say for PC and lets you scan it to make sure it contains no malicious code to brick your vita?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bought a brand new vita from Walmart last night and it came with 3.51 so I have updated to 3.60 and installed Henkaku, everything seems fine until I stumbled across some articles online concerning vita bricks, and that some people made malicious vpk that if you install it will brick your vita, so I wonder if there is any program available say for PC and lets you scan it to make sure it contains no malicious code to brick your vita?

There are checks in the VPK installers now. You should not have to worry about anything. Always read comments and things from people, but the software will automatically check for these things before installing.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are checks in the VPK installers now. You should not have to worry about anything. Always read comments and things from people, but the software will automatically check for these things before installing.
Please don't be that starry-eyed. This checks do what they can, but they are far from perfect (very far).
A software that would do good checks would be a huge amount of work and still a race between the devs of this software and the idiots who write brickers.

@Vitaminer 'Always read comments and things from people' is a good advice. Also you shouldn't install stuff from untrusted sources.
You wouldn't do it with software on your computer e.g. on windows.
The big diffrence is that you can't just delete the whole OS and set up a new one here since the system is very closed and inaccessible in may ways (also the programmer of brickers still tend to be not very skilled atm. Let us hope that just bored kiddies without proper understanding of the system continue this work).

Stay wary and thoughtful then it will be good :) (And don't install vpk's from random internet sites. Also if a software wants special permissions only install it if you know why it wants them.)

Last edited by VitaType,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't be that starry-eyed. This checks do what they can, but they are far from perfect (very far).
A software that would do good checks would be a huge amount of work and still a race between the devs of this software and the idiots who write brickers.

@Vitaminer 'Always read comments and things from people' is a good advice. Also you shouldn't install stuff from untrusted sources.
You wouldn't do it with software on your computer e.g. on windows.
The big diffrence is that you can't just delete the whole OS and set up a new one here since the system is very closed and inaccessible in may ways (also the programmer of brickers still tend to be not very skilled atm. Let us hope that just bored kiddies without proper understanding of the system continue this work).

Stay wary and thoughtful then it will be good :) (And don't install vpk's from random internet sites. Also if a software wants special permissions only install it if you know why it wants them.)

The bricking software that are in place right now are incredibly easy to spot and the installers do a fine job as of now.

As I said before read the comments on the download page to see if people are successfully installing. Like any modifications to hardware you as a user are doing that at your own risk.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Quickest way really is to make sure the VPK's you download are clean and verified by others. I mainly use Scene dumps of Vita titles than someone random persons one.

Vitaminer

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok I've got a vpk and I read from wololo guide to use a hex editor to open vpk files and find os0, so I tried it and indeed I found "os0" along with "6F 73 30", does that mean it's a bricker? The entire line containing os0 is "%+–3Éos0ï©Ž%ë..1" anyone know what it means?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: 3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a...