Virtual console

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by neojei, Nov 23, 2006.

Nov 23, 2006

Virtual console by neojei at 4:51 AM (1,080 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. neojei
    OP

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I know you can copy virtual console games on an sd card... so my scneario is... say nintendo release Zelda Ocarina of Time, and my buddy and I split the cost of buying points, and he buys it. Could I copy the virtual console game, and just play it on my Wii while he has his own? Thanks.

2. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Nope, each game is set to the unique code of the system that bought it. So it would not play on any other Wii besides the one it was bought on.

3. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Not happening. The games will only run on a console which has unlocked the game from the store.

4. neojei
    OP

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Aww boo. Thanks for the feedback so quikcly. I knew Nintendo wouldn't let something like that slip by them, lol. Maybe sometime later these games will be hacked and you just have to patch it or something. Would be nice. Heh, somehow I doubt that.

5. FranckKnight

Member FranckKnight GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The Wii is a brand new machine that probably has a flaw or two somewhere. Someone did a post about possible vulnerabilities to be 'scanned', such as TIFF exploits used on the PSP.

Leave it to the pros to eventually find a way to run games through the network from a ROM on your computer someday, or transfer games like that.

Remember that Virtual Consoles games are more or less a rom + emulator, and that it can be saved on standard SD cards, so eventually someone will analyze that saved data and find the info we need.

And perhaps they will even manage to find the emulator code so that you could basically tack in any ROM you want to play instead of only those you can download.

6. IxthusTiger

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    I would like to try comparing 3 VC games with a hex editor. Two of them would be different games from the same Wii, but The other will be one of the same games but from a different Wii. Then I would compare the sectors that were similar, and if each console game you buy has the same code for your system, and then I find the sectors that differ in the two games from the different Wiis, it will only be a matter of hex editing my code into the rom of my choice.

7. Helmut

Member Helmut GBAtemp Regular

France
    Do you realy think that VC games are compiled to be unique for each console? And that the same game but from two different console will have two different hash signature? A game is the same for everyone. It's the console itself that know if you bougth the game or not.
    Anyway, if games have an internal key specific to a unique system, it wouldn't be as simple as you think. Games are certainly encrypted with RSA.