Virtual Console on disc?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by xboxinoz, Nov 8, 2007.

Nov 8, 2007

Virtual Console on disc? by xboxinoz at 2:46 AM (1,104 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. xboxinoz
    OP

Newcomer xboxinoz Advanced Member

Australia
    I wonder what the likelihood is that Nintendo will ever release some of the stuff you can download on the Virtual Console on a compilation disc for those people who don't have wifi/net access from their wii?

I personally would love to see a Mario collection or Donkey Kong Country collection... surely if they did a Mario collection they could give it a price tag that approximately matches what it would cost to download them so those who had already downloaded them wouldn't be annoyed?

It would also mean if your wii ever broke you wouldn't lose your games with it.... this has always kind of worried me about buying games on the virtual console... plus the annoying fact that I've brought these games in the past anyway so it kind of annoys me to effectively buy a game twice anyway...

2. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If they release it on a disk you're still buying it twice.

Doesn't Nintendo have a VC replacement policy for broken Wii's?

3. Osaka

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    if you have a nintendo account on nintendo.com, and you have it so it automatically registers vc games you buy with your nintendo account, then when you get a new wii, you can contact nintendo and they will work with you so you can get all of your games back

4. xboxinoz
    OP

Newcomer xboxinoz Advanced Member

Australia
    I brought the console second hand and it already had a couple of N64 VC games on it so I don't know how I go on with them nor whether the console would be previously registered or not. Therefore if I did have my wii connected and did buy a few more games I'm not sure how that would work.

As regards buying it twice I agree but at least I would be buying it on a disc rather than an 'invisible' download. Nicer to have something you can physically wave around and put on your shelf! Plus regardless of whether I could convince nintendo to let me download it again if my console broke it would be much less hassle free if I had it on a disk.

5. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    If they release a VC game disc, then it'll get leeched like mad and everyone wwillget free VC games. Not to mention everyone hacking the ISO to put it differnt game data and pretty much screwing over Nintendo's VC shop royaly.

I think more likely youd see a Wii points card or game specific redemtion points.

Still would be nice to see them do that for the offliners of the world.

Edit: I agree with xboxinoz totally.
    Its always nice to have a disc to wave around.

Though I still say that it'll just give everyone free copies of the games.
    I forget to mention the whole Disc to Wii thing. If it copies the game to your Wii, then it'll just encode them to run on your wii only.
    Then give the disc to a friend and he gets those games too for his wii only and so fourth.
    The games would have to be playable off the disc and only that disc. Otherwise nintendo's whole encrypted VC channel would be a total waste.

There is the new Wii points trading thing they will have in that new channel thing whatever it is.
    Well, not trading, but you could give your friends points for special occasions or something.
    I hope they do some VC game trading and game giveaway features too.
    That way one could buy a game on the VC shop or take a game their tired of, put their friends Wii code on it, let it reencode it with your friends code and viala! Take the SD card to a friends house and copy the games to their console for only their wii.

Hey, theres a solution!
    SD cards with VC titles on them!
    I bet nintendo might have thought of that atleast once.
    You could grab one, copy all the games to your wii and then use the SD card as an SD card....
    Ah wait, youd need another program to decrypt the channels and crap. Since obvoiusly unencrypted channels would be stolen even easier.
    Course, they could always have them encrypted without a Wii code stuck to it and just make an update to handle them.

Eh, Nintendo just does'nt make it easy for those without highspeed connections :/

Getting the games from a friend would be the best solution though. If it could be done... legaly... before they break the encryption and they are all pirated to death xD

6. MrKuenning

Member MrKuenning GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They could sell them in SD format, so once they are installed they would be locked to that Wii..

7. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, you can backup Wii Virtual Console games to SD card...