Gaming Virtual Console: Lack of RPGs

rdurbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else notice the lack of RPGs on the Wii's Virtual Console. No Dragon warrior's, Final Fantasies, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger. Do they think RPG's wouldnt sell well on VC or what. For the most part they just have classic games, action, puzzle, arcade. Today's Release of Harvest Moon for SNES is at least getting closer, I guess. Yeah I know some of you are probably saying Zelda is an RPG. I really dont consider it one and I have the zelda collection that includes all the zelda on VC except for Link to the Past.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably just doing the obvious...cash cow shovelware. Toss it on the DS for $35-40 over the normal price and get all the fan/obsessed fanboys to buy it and make more money than a quiet ported cart game in digital form.

I mean really FF4 and the DQ4-6 setup is a good sign of that as is.

rdurbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, im surprised now. Phantasy Star II released on the Virtual Console. Not bad at all, I hope they release IV someday and possibly shining force.

rdurbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, im surprised now.  Phantasy Star II released on the Virtual Console.  Not bad at all, I hope they release IV someday and possibly shining force.

shining force is on the Wii Shop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtu...orth_America%29

heh, I never noticed and I check every week on mon/tue.

According to the RPG genre section there are 19 games

Beyond Oasis, Breath of Fire II, Double Dungeons,Dragons Curse,Dungeon Explorer, Ghouls n Ghosts,Harvest Moon,Landstalker, Light Crusader,Neutopia,Neutopia II, Paper Mario,Phantasy Star II,Shining Force, Shining in the Darkess,Sword of Vermillion,The Dynastic Hero, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Wonder Boy in monster world.

Many of these games are not even RPG in my opinion. Anyone else find it wierd that Zelda 64 is an rpg but all the others are not? If anything zelda II should be the only zelda that an RPG. Ghouls n Ghosts?? RPG??? Oh well...

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two games at a time is horrible.
Three games per week was bad enough!
Whats next?
Negetive five?

Really, they should be shoveling twenty of these every other day. Esepcielly seeing as for the price you barely get squat.

Especially if its an RPG, it should have all the manual's art plus extras in the guide.
Not to mention soundtests and loads of fan extras.

Instead we get a slapped together emulator's manual more or less and a lame savestate option.
For a full five bucks?
Gah, its alot of suck.

I would probly end up buying Seiken Denetsu 3 if it was imported with english text. Though with emulators and the rom we already have that plus a three player hack.
Nintendo is years behind what free emulators could do from the start.
Much better when playing RPGs in my opion. What with some with really difficult points you can get stuck in :/

pyrofreak421

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem with getting high grade RPG's on VC is the fact that the companies can make alot more money remaking them and putting them on a DS as a full cart. Most of the "RPG's" that are there already are the stuff nintendo made themselves and more of the low grade stuff that kinda sucks. Phantasy Star II coming out is a good sign but the phantasy star games are already on at least a PS2 sega game collection

rdurbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem with getting high grade RPG's on VC is the fact that the companies can make alot more money remaking them and putting them on a DS as a full cart. Most of the "RPG's" that are there already are the stuff nintendo made themselves and more of the low grade stuff that kinda sucks. Phantasy Star II coming out is a good sign but the phantasy star games are already on at least a PS2 sega game collection

true, but it costs money to remake the games, even if you dont change anything at all. VC is just an emulator. These RPGs would make alot of money, I think. when the last time chrono trigger been remade....98,99. Mario RPG...never? Im sure most of the problem is Square-enix. I only see one game on VC from them. That game is Actraiser, not really an RPG and not really Square-enix, more like Enix

hamchan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt SE will put any FFs on VC though, they are always being remade and can easily sell way better without VC. Chrono Trigger will probably also be remade, much more money that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn