Virtual Console Hack Theory

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DGSystems, Feb 28, 2007.

Feb 28, 2007

Virtual Console Hack Theory by DGSystems at 9:58 AM (4,557 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

2. Xlom3000

Newcomer Xlom3000 Member

Actually there is a VC hack that was just discovered this morning using the exact method you are discribing here. I'm actually wondering if you aren't the guy who figured it out on these other forums. I"m not sure the rules on outside linking to other forums however.

3. Digeman

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Waitwaitwaitwait a minute! There is a working VC hack!? [​IMG]

4. _zZz_

Newcomer _zZz_ Member

Portugal
    i think there is no problem to put external links here. its a free forum

5. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

6. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    You can link to other forums no problem, as long as they don't host or supply links to any illegal material.

7. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Everything you just talked about is nothing new, the #wiidev guys figured that much out not long after the Wii was released. In fact, someone was supposedly able to do just as you said, and "emulate" the server - before the update came along that broke the DNS redirection trick (the exact method was not revealed publicly).

http://mozy.org/wii/

Edit: Links to the VC files have also been available for quite a while, check out Darkfader's site: http://darkfader.net/wii/vc/
    (out of date now however).

8. Xlom3000

Newcomer Xlom3000 Member

9. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

10. _zZz_

Newcomer _zZz_ Member

Portugal
    Seems a nice guide.. but it only works for games that were already downloaded

11. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

12. Dirtie

New Zealand
    As far as I can see, the information in the posted link still won't let you play games you don't own. Like I said, there doesn't look like there's anything new here :/

13. Xlom3000

Newcomer Xlom3000 Member

No it doesn't. You are missing what he's saying.

Basically, You use the program to make the wii think it's redownloading a game you already have, while it tells your pc to intercept that request and send it a different game. The wii recompiles the data you are sending it, and presto, you have a game you didn't have before.

14. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

15. Xlom3000

Newcomer Xlom3000 Member

bah I'm an idiot. I missed the line about not having unpaid games work. but it's a start anyway now that info is out on how to do this

16. Dirtie

New Zealand
    Then why does he make this little statement?:
    "Also haven't been able to get any unpaid games to install. I think the TMD file holds the information we need though."

I'll repeat myself - this has been gone over again and again, so unless there's a real loophole or the encryption algorithm is discovered, the likelihood of being able to get free VC games is slim.

I think I remember now that when roto was able to do it, it was achieved by some sort of packet injection (at router level).

By the way, each major version of .NET is standalone - even if you had 2.0 or 3.0 installed you'd have to install 1.1 [​IMG]

17. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Exactly, the guy is only re-downloading games he's already purchased. The only difference is the Wii is downloading them directly from his PC.

18. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

19. Xlom3000

Newcomer Xlom3000 Member

Yeah, I'm sorry, I missed that line. Feel like a jerk for creating this false hope for everyone now. Thanks for the info about .net however. I figured having 2 would count for all of them.

20. Dirtie

New Zealand
    It's not that simple. There's secure server queries, encryption keys, etc. all involved. Theoretically it might be possible, but it'd take some pretty major hacking to run a server that would allow you to do that sort of thing from what I can gather.