Virtual Boy emulation

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by housemonkey, Aug 23, 2007.

Aug 23, 2007

Virtual Boy emulation by housemonkey at 9:41 PM (1,347 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. housemonkey
    OP

Newcomer housemonkey Advanced Member

United States
    The subject came up in discussion elsewhere. I searched a bit on it but to no avail...

Sorry for what seems to be a pointless question, but is there any emulator of this nature floating around. Thanks in advance.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  3. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Is it even possible considering what it exactly is...?

4. Pigwooly

Member Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. The PC ones work fine. I think the Virtual Boy, at its core, is just a slightly enhanced gameboy that projects 2 slightly offset screens. So the 3D effect would probably be lost in a DS emulator, but otherwise it would work fine. Just have the emulator ignore one of the screens.

5. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Tell that to the ROMs. I don't think the ROMs are specifically set up in mind to ignore one of these screens.

6. iq_132

Member iq_132 GBAtemp Regular

United States

NEC V810 32-bit RISC @ 20 MHz -- Quite a bit more than an enhanced gameboy (basically an 8-bit Z80 @ 4.19 MHz).

@Gaisuto, As long as the CPU & memory map is emulated correctly, they'll run just fine not even displaying a single screen.

7. weiff

Member weiff GBAtemp Regular

Well for that matter what is the possibility for the emulator to place the near image on the lower screen and the back image on the upper screen? It should just be a matter of interpreting the ROM correctly. Just a thought.

8. iq_132

Member iq_132 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There isn't a near image & far image. There is a left image and a right image. Your brain puts them together and interprets depth.

9. weiff

The concept is still the same, you place one image on the top screen and one on the bottom... you don't have the orignal look and feel but you still have a playable version... though maybe that defeats the definition of emulation......

10. sanchoquo

Newcomer sanchoquo Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Well isnt there that ds homebrew project that projects two images onto the screen and allows you to view 'stereo' I forget its name, but its just a matter of how you hold the ds(sideways) and the distance and how you look at the image, that makes it appear 3d,

perhaps similar could be done

contact one of the virtual boy emulator devs and see if they are interested in a new project

11. weiff

Sterogram image requires you to cross your eyes to produce the 3d effect, is that what you are referring to? I don't know about you but straining my eyes to get an image to pop out doesn't couple well with actually playing a game. The idea could be adapted possibly, all I am doing is speculation though.

12. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    It's possible. But how much R&D are you willing to spend on a system that failed miserably? Poor Gunpei.