Gaming Virtual Boy Collection for 3DS, should it happen.

Should Nintendo come out with a Virtual Boy collection for 3DS?

• Total voters

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
OP
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yes, it's an obvious photoshop job but I just found this image on the the Internet and thought I'd ask:
Okay, they took down the image of the Virtual Boy themed 3DS with a Virtual Boy Collection game cart box next to it but the idea's still valid.
Anyone think this is something Nintendo should try to do?
Would it be better for them to make it as a game you buy separately or you get in the eShop?
What do you think?

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
I think there is a possibility of them eventually releasing VB and SNES games on the eShop...but it doesn't seem to be happening soon. I don't know why they'd make this stuff on a cartridge though. I'm not sure but I don't think VB ROMs take up that much space. eShop all the way!

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The pic is obviously fake, and they would never make a VB 3DS, but I have wondered for awhile if they would ever release VB games on eShop. I'm not sure if I would buy them or not, it just depends on what games there are and if they made changes.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Virtual Boy was the most innovative video game ever. It was so innovative that the marked could not understand it, and it failed. Nintendo should treat Virtual Boy with proud, but they seem to have shame of it.

Reactions: 3 people

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id be interested, I've always wanted to play a virtual boy but their pretty expensive these days and a bitch to get a hold of

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably buy the Wario VB game if they sold it on the estore. Doubt I'd buy the entire collection though..

Even better idea? Release the games as 3DS eShop only downloads and add colour to them. They could call them something like 3D classics and people would jump all over them if they didn't know they were VB re-releases :3

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I actually think it would be nice to have VB games. But if you think about it, if nintendo tried to sell these games, how many people would buy it? Seriously, most people don't even know that there was a Virtual boy to begin with. It would be too much effort and money spent in making a VB emulator for the 3ds, so only a few would enjoy the effort? If I were Nintendo I wouldn't do it, just saying. I think they would better release snes games! xD

Reactions: 1 person

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually think it would be nice to have VB games. But if you think about it, if nintendo tried to sell these games, how many people would buy it? Seriously, most people don't even know that there was a Virtual boy to begin with. It would be too much effort and money spent in making a VB emulator for the 3ds, so only a few would enjoy the effort? If I were Nintendo I wouldn't do it, just saying. I think they would better release snes games! xD

I agree, which is why I think the idea of fixing them up with a bit of colour and re-releasing it as a 3DS downloadable title would be better, in terms of getting people to download them. Everyone knows the VB was a commercial failure, and if the games were re-done and branded as VB games people would probably be harsh to them. Or people who want to see what the fuss is about would give them ago :) *I did this with E.T for the 2600.. >.>;

But yes, releasing SNES games would be much better also. The system has the potential to be a VC powerhouse but they need to actually get the titles out to people. I had to resort to downloading an Earthbound rom since they never sold the game over here, and Nintendo have not released it in any accessible form that I could access. If they made it available on the 3DS eshop I'd buy it :D

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I agree, which is why I think the idea of fixing them up with a bit of colour and re-releasing it as a 3DS downloadable title would be better, in terms of getting people to download them. Everyone knows the VB was a commercial failure, and if the games were re-done and branded as VB games people would probably be harsh to them. Or people who want to see what the fuss is about would give them ago :) *I did this with E.T for the 2600.. >.>;

But yes, releasing SNES games would be much better also. The system has the potential to be a VC powerhouse but they need to actually get the titles out to people. I had to resort to downloading an Earthbound rom since they never sold the game over here, and Nintendo have not released it in any accessible form that I could access. If they made it available on the 3DS eshop I'd buy it :D

If i recall correctly there were less than 30 VB games and there wasn't a fantastic game in the library. I think the most smart thing to do in this case would to release a VB collection whith 5 or 6 of the most relevant game and add some colors, but in a way that you could switch to classic mode for a retro feeling. Although i think the 3d from the virtual boy must have been better than the 3ds, as the image is completely separated for each eye, and your eyes were isolated from the outside world, no lightining or reflex on screen problems. So, people will never truly what the VB was truly like. VB failed because it was all red and was way too uncomfortable to use and the 3ds is more comfortable.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

for nintendo, building a vb emulator should not be a problem at all, as they have all the relevant data. different from us normal folks, nintendo doesnt need to put much effort in emulation, as they know the tech they try to emulate

also, the vb games sucked. even the wario one wasnt very good.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the vb sold only 770,000 units and had only 22 games released for it. i read an article where reggie stated that he had never used a virtual boy and didn't even know what the system was until someone asked about ports for the 3ds. i highly doubt nintendo will release any of the games. the system was so obscure that few people gave it a chance. the way modern games have pulled in an entire new generation of gamers, it will be difficult to explain to them why an old red/black retro pseudo-3d game is worth their money. you might get a few sales with wario and mario, but most of the other games would probably take a ton of advertisement. its all a moot point because we have no idea what the games would look like on the 3ds. the entire vb experience may be lost and that could hurt the play-ability of some of the games.

if they wanted to move forward with vb games on the 3ds then i would hope that they would look at making new material. the old library is fine but its the second generation of vb games that held the most potential. it is those games that retro gamers would spend money on. we already have some very good vb emus for the pc, mac, linux, psp, wii, etc, etc... i don't think many gamers will shell out 5.99 (for example) just to play the original 22 games on the 3ds.

something that might work better would be to release the games on a cart. "the vb collection" for something like $50. i would pay one price to get them all, it just seems more appealing that way. they could save the e-shop for releasing some of the near complete prototypes or for new material coded in the retro vb style.

Id be interested, I've always wanted to play a virtual boy but their pretty expensive these days and a bitch to get a hold of

you can pick up a VB on ebay for under $30 bucks with a known "glitch" issue. if you aren't afraid to open the system up then it is possible to fix minor issues in under 20 minutes. with that said, even a brand new system in the box sells for right around what the system sold for new in 1995. with ebay, craigslist, and swap meets... i've never found them hard to get a hold of.

what you will end up spending money on are the games. they are hard to find locally, will most likely require ebay, and sell on average between $10-40. that does not include the rare games like waterworld, virtual lab, and jack bros. expect to pay $80+ for those, especially if you require the original box.

that's just a silly statement. most of the games are arcade-style pick-up-and-play, but i would strongly argue that they do not "suck".

VB failed because it was all red and was way too uncomfortable to use and the 3ds is more comfortable.

the vb failed because it was marketed as the successor to the gameboy when it was actually designed to be a niche "toy". nintendo released it before it was ready, the vb we enjoy today is considered a prototype. the reason it was only in red was a technical limitation of the time, only red LEDs could produce enough light.

the vb is far from uncomfortable to play. have you actually experienced one? i've gamed on mine for 2-3 hour sessions without looking up and i've never had a single problem.

-another world

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

for nintendo, building a vb emulator should not be a problem at all, as they have all the relevant data. different from us normal folks, nintendo doesnt need to put much effort in emulation, as they know the tech they try to emulate

Sure, it would be easier for nintendo to make an emulator than it would be to a hobbist, but it doesn't make it an easy job. There are many glitches even in the Virtual console games, it doesn't make the game unplayable or anything, but the glitches are there. And also, the employee must stop what he's doing to make an emulator, read the VB documentation, think in a way to translate VB instructions into 3ds instructions, adjust the VB screen resolution to the 3ds's, apply filters so the VB image doesn't look distorted in the 3ds screen, emulate the sound, emulate the controller and who knows what you need to emulate the VB. This is hardly an easy job to do even if it is nintendo, of course they could do it, but the question is: Why have the trouble, if it is not profitable?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sure, it would be easier for nintendo to make an emulator than it would be to a hobbist, but it doesn't make it an easy job. There are many glitches even in the Virtual console games, it doesn't make the game unplayable or anything, but the glitches are there. And also, the employee must stop what he's doing to make an emulator, read the VB documentation, think in a way to translate VB instructions into 3ds instructions, adjust the VB screen resolution to the 3ds's, apply filters so the VB image doesn't look distorted in the 3ds screen, emulate the sound, emulate the controller and who knows what you need to emulate the VB. This is hardly an easy job to do even if it is nintendo, of course they could do it, but the question is: Why have the trouble, if it is not profitable?

The VB emulator for the Wii works really well (with oldschool red/blue glasses), I have no doubt that Nintendo could easily make one for the 3DS. Resoloution isn't much of a problem - the VB is 384x224 and the 3DS is effectively 400x240 per eye.

As for the profitability, I agree for the general population it might be more of a what the heck type thing, even though some of the games (Mario Clash, Wario Land, 3D Tetris) could easily have broad appeal if people got over the redness. Might be better to release it as a special collectors cart you can only order from Nintendo or something, they could probably easily sell a modest amount that way. Still enough to be profitable as it wouldn't be very expensive to do.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The VB emulator for the Wii works really well (with oldschool red/blue glasses), I have no doubt that Nintendo could easily make one for the 3DS. Resoloution isn't much of a problem - the VB is 384x224 and the 3DS is effectively 400x240 per eye.

As for the profitability, I agree for the general population it might be more of a what the heck type thing, even though some of the games (Mario Clash, Wario Land, 3D Tetris) could easily have broad appeal if people got over the redness. Might be better to release it as a special collectors cart you can only order from Nintendo or something, they could probably easily sell a modest amount that way. Still enough to be profitable as it wouldn't be very expensive to do.
Kinda like the G&W collection for DS, you mean?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kinda like the G&W collection for DS, you mean?

Yeah, but maybe not just for club nintendo coins.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Date sticks