Hacking Virgin Switch - Is this the right way to go?

JonnyVee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Found a brand new Switch with XAW1002 serial and likely running formware 3.0.1. I purchased SX Pro, but it hasn’t arrived yet.

What are my best course of actions prior to modding? I was thinking I should just update via Nintendo to 6.0.1, which will update the Joycons(?) and give me exfat support. After that it goes offline, I do a nand backup, and then I can hack it with SX Pro.

I know I’ll burn fuses going to 6.0.1. But it appears there is no need to downgrade (at the moment at least) and obtaining exfat support without updating seems like a pain in the a**.

This is my first switch and I haven’t even turned it on yet.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Rule of thumb, always do a NAND backup first before anything. If you can access RCM now, it would be best if you do a NAND backup on your current firmware version, then update without burning fuse via ChoiDujourNX then do another NAND backup.

The first one you will make will be the cleanest backup you will have. That is also what you will use if you want to downgrade.

The second one is just for assurance incase your first backup is botched, at least you have another one.

Reactions: Vaatu

evilone

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I would simply go with SX PRO (SX OS + DONGLE) and Have Fun.

Except you are really interessted in to try all the different Firmwares and so so..

JonnyVee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rule of thumb, always do a NAND backup first before anything. If you can access RCM now, it would be best if you do a NAND backup on your current firmware version, then update without burning fuse via ChoiDujourNX then do another NAND backup.

The first one you will make will be the cleanest backup you will have. That is also what you will use if you want to downgrade.

The second one is just for assurance incase your first backup is botched, at least you have another one.

Thanks. That’s what I’m struggling with. I’d prefer to do a backup on the console before updating, but to do a nand dump, I need to have the system updated to accept an exfat SD card.

I figure updating to 6.0.1 via Nintendo servers (and burning fuses) will be the easiest and most straightforward route. I’ll lose the ability to downgrade lower than 6.0.1, but I don’t see any need to hold onto the ability to downgrade when everything is working.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. That’s what I’m struggling with. I’d prefer to do a backup on the console before updating, but to do a nand dump, I need to have the system updated to accept an exfat SD card.

I figure updating to 6.0.1 via Nintendo servers (and burning fuses) will be the easiest and most straightforward route. I’ll lose the ability to downgrade lower than 6.0.1, but I don’t see any need to hold onto the ability to downgrade when everything is working.
I was in the same boat - I had a switch on 3.00 fw and just updated when my sx pro arrived as i also need the ex fat update. So far everything has been fine - occasional error and have to reboot but not a big problem. Then again, I'm a total noob so maybe it would have been better doing the nand dump etc on 3.00 and not burning fuses!

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not sure about SX OS, but using Hekate you can make a NAND dump on a exFat microSD card, and you don't need the exFat update in order to do it. The exFat update is part of the Horizon OS, Hekate runs before Horizon, so you should be good to go.

I'd make a backup, then update while preserving fuses. It'll be nice for whenever / if deja vu gets released, but even if you do accidentally burn your fuses, it's not the end of the world and it's hardly anything to fret over.

Reactions: JonnyVee

AndyGJorgensen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just be sure that you have to have backup that will work with the amount of fuses burned. You don't want to be on v6.0 and find out your old nand won't load because of to many fuses burned

Vaatu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do what this man said! the most un-touched NAND backup, into updating with ChoiDujourNX, into another NAND backup :D

JonnyVee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure about SX OS, but using Hekate you can make a NAND dump on a exFat microSD card, and you don't need the exFat update in order to do it. The exFat update is part of the Horizon OS, Hekate runs before Horizon, so you should be good to go.

I'd make a backup, then update while preserving fuses. It'll be nice for whenever / if deja vu gets released, but even if you do accidentally burn your fuses, it's not the end of the world and it's hardly anything to fret over.

Thank you. That helps. Didn’t realize Hekate supported exFat. I’ll backup first.

Do what this man said! the most un-touched NAND backup, into updating with ChoiDujourNX, into another NAND backup :D

I will. Thank you all for the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: