Videogames, Television, or Books That Changed Your View on Life

BloodWolfJW

Marotheit
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to hear about any videogames, television, or books that changed your life. I want media that changed the way you saw things, the way you thought, the way you treated other people. I want media that makes you cry as you think back about it. I want answers that are less the three sentences. I'll start:

The World Ends With You. Something about that game just...just...took over. Before playing the world ends with you, I was this stick in the mud. I didn't want to do anything, with anyone. I had very few friends, and one of them told me to play that game. I didn't like it at first. He asked how far I had gotten. I told him day 3, and he told me to finish the first week. I did. I beat the game in 24 hours, and played almost non stop. I came to school that next day with my haircut, a spring in my step, and a brighter outlook on life.

X_XSlashX_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the Gamecube. The way the story was told on that and stuff made me realize how terrible war really was and how taking 1 life could have such huge implications. I was 13 when I played it and after that it just opened my eyes more to the world.

iMinotauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Metal Gear is a good eye opener, basically anything with a good narrative. This is why I argue that I rather have a game with an good story and good gameplay rather than having a game with great gameplay and bad story. Story is very underrated sadly, the whole counter argument of "If you want a good story go read a book"

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Believe it or not, a particular book in a series changed everything for me.

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass, by Stephen King.

The portrayal of young, honest love juxtaposed with destructive love for an object ... just incredible.

If only I were lucky enough to find a love like Roland & Susan's.

Reactions: 1 person

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
Professor Layton: The unwound future.

That game has affected me in real life. I have learned to care more about the people who are close to me. :`)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Never before had a film (or any piece of entertainment) filled me with such unbridled rage and regret. Once you cross that threshold, there's no going back.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mass Effect was probably the closest.

It really set a landmark on how good stories could develop in games. How you can become so immersed and attached in the game that when it's finished, you're at a loss. Fortunately I played it after the second game was released so I immediately bought that and pre-ordered ME3 later. The franchise has since become a personal RPG favorite and has left me satisfied from beginning to end. I'm one of the few "fans" who actually loved ME3's ending, probably because I'm a pessimistic bitch.

Moviewise, not a whole lot. Shawshank Redemption was really touching though. I don't even know why I liked it so much. I typically don't enjoy dramas like this but I watched it and just felt so compelled all the way through. It was just so sudden that by the end I was just taken back by the experience. I still wouldn't consider it a favorite film or anything but it's a damn good watch.

Star Trek (the 2009 one) is also another one. It was just a beautiful film. It did the impossible: create something that Star Trek fans from all walks can enjoy and appeal to a broader audience. It had the balls to take risks and abandon Star Trek conventions that it's only for the fans. The ending also avoided the ultimate compromise: allow a prequel to have series without the limits of an eventual "end point" that comes with the original production. It took some serious nuts to create a parallel universe and develop completely new lines of character progression, but all of them worked. From the story telling to characters to production values to originality, it's easily one of the best pieces of sci-fi ever constructed.

I hardly read books so I can't say anything on that front.

Also I suggest this goes to General Off Topic since it's a bit too broad for BMTM. I'll send a report off suggesting the change.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='Guild McCommunist']: Prometheus will destroy your little crush on "Star Trek".

Anyway, I would have to say The Dark Knight. It was one the first comic book hero movies that I actually enjoyed. I'm looking forward to the Dark Knight Rises but I doubt it will as great as its predecessor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night