Video tests on the G6 Lite (512mb)

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Ignatius, Jul 16, 2006.

Jul 16, 2006
  1. Ignatius
    OP

Newcomer Ignatius Member

Featured Posts:
    Costa Rica
    I'm really anxious to get the g6 lite (512mb) version, but people keep saying that if your going to use it for movies, than its not big enough. I haven't seen anyone do any tests or examples of how big files are on the g6 lite. I'd like to know if 512mb's is good enough even for videos.

Can someone maybe do a few tests and convert/upload some videos with varied sizes and lengths of the videos into g6 lite and see how much they can put in?

I'm very curious, because i really dont want to wait another couple months for g6 lite 1gb version or any of the other lite versions coming out in couple months. I'd really appreciate it if someone can do me this favor, thank you.

2. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I still don't know anything about videos and g6 lite yet but...

Seeing as how the DS screen is quite small, you can kill the resolution of said video and it'll look the same anyway.
    That alone will make a whole bunch of movies smaller and you can PROBABLY fit a good 2 hours without quality loss.

At least this is waht I think...

I haven't tried messing with moonshell tools to convert stuff into DPG and crap...

I would like to know too. how to/ and waht's the best way to convert stuff like anime episodes to 2 hour movies.

3. KeYbLaDeXaLcHeMi

Member KeYbLaDeXaLcHeMi GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    ehh, it's probably not a good idea not to get the g6 lite just primarly using it to watch videos, yeah it is too small; you can maybe only fit about 1 movie on there and just that.

if you want to watch videos on your ds, i suggest the m3, but the size of the m3 (any version) is just too bulky and ugly. i recommend anything that has external storage. maybe the ez-4 lite, but i hear they're a lot of problems with it.

4. RyuKakashi

Featured Posts:
    United States
    in this thread someone says he can get a movie into 200mb
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34647

i assume a movie would be a 2 hour dvd rip and downsampled.
    that would be 4 hours of movie quality stuff on a DS and still enough room for a game or three

5. KeYbLaDeXaLcHeMi

Member KeYbLaDeXaLcHeMi GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    ohh yeah, of course how could i forget dpg. in dpg format, you can probably fit about 2 on a 512mb flash cart.

i was talking about the gbs/gbm nds format, the built-in movie feature in the g6/m3 products.

6. Ignatius
    OP

Newcomer Ignatius Member

Featured Posts:
    Costa Rica
    If you can fit 4 hours of movie quality onto a 512mb flash cart. That's MORE than enough personally. I dont understand how people can say that's not enough. However, from what it looks like, people are mainly assuming these facts. If someone can really test out the video compression and the length of the videos you can put on the g6 lite that would be a lot better.

7. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Featured Posts:
    Sweden
    On 4gbit, you can fit 2 movies (700mb each) - 1:30 length movie or
    1 movie (2x700mb each) ~ 2:20 length movie

Or (what im using it for atm) 8-9 episodes / ~24min series (simpsons, anime etc).

When converting them to dpg.

With a very high bitrate and excellent quality.

If you are not too picky with quality (you still get very good quality), you can easily reduce the bitrate to half and fit twice as much.

8. Ignatius
    OP

Newcomer Ignatius Member

Featured Posts:
    Costa Rica
    Thanks for the info Killermech. That's really good to hear. To be able to put 2-3hrs of video onto the g6 lite is perfectly fine for me i wouldn't want any more. Now i can get the g6 lite when that comes out in a week, isntead of waiting a couple more months for the other lite versions. Thanks again everyone for the info.

9. Deaddy

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    This thread got me curious so I downloaded moonshell dpg tools and encoded a 1hr27minute divx movie using the default settings. It came out at 199MB. I don't know how to play it back on the PC but the image in the little preview window looked pretty good for such a small resolution. It was 256x96 and 18fps. Anyone know if there is a way to play back a dpg video on your computer?

10. RyuKakashi

Featured Posts:
    United States
    i cant seem to get batchdpg to work right...i add a job and it says error bla bla bla open it in something like windows media and tell the author the error but there is no error.

11. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    yeah, use undpgenc and play back the mp4

12. Deaddy

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    You must have meant dpgdec.. anyway, it worked thanks.