1. ninjafrog658

ninjafrog658 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I know I'm not alone, but I predicted this from miles away.

2. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So because it has never happened to you means it has never happened to anyone else?

Deleted User and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  3. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    technically, you should be saying that to Josshy0125 since they're the one that said that. Burial was quoting them. Also, that tends to be the stance of many people who claim the drift just isnt a thing because they "have several joycons and have used the for 2 years and it hasn't happened" so we all must be making it up, I guess.

Last edited by samcambolt270, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Fair enough, I haven't read of any complaints yet though

5. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Arab Emirates
    How to solve joy con drifting problem?
    Get the Chinese replacement analog joystick and replace the original one.
    That's what I didn't to 3 of my joy cons who have drifting problem and until now they are working better than the original, they are not expensive.

Deleted User and osaka35 like this.
  6. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    only positive is it might make it cheaper for me to buy damaged hardware on ebay for cheap and fix up. yay me.

I'll wait to see more evidence, but given how nintendo handles such things, I'm inclined to believe this is perfectly legit.

Deleted User, MAXLEMPIRA and Foxi4 like this.
  7. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Can't expect much from BigN these days. The smash gamecube controllers typically have an offset analog stick position. If you were able to get one anyway, they did like 1 batch and closed up shop. Input lag is also horrible, and they somehow managed to have more input lag in their first party games than the WiiU. Smash feels like garbage to play.

8. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    *sees first comment as Desert Bus playing by itself now*

LOLs!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

To what particular product are you referring to? Got an Amazon link of some kind?

9. Oriordan

Oriordan GBAtemp Regular

Algeria
    Before jumping to any conclusion, the guy should at least try calibrating the stick. Drifting occurs after intensive use, if it's a new switch, may be it's just a manufacturing defect. Fingers crossed...

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm... Isn't it a bit early to generalize this situation?

Yes, the controller drifts. Guy should just contact Nintendo and get a replacement unit. Sucks, but it happens. As a technician, I experience first hand how pc's that come straight from their package contain errors on some level. If this is the first and only video of the phenomenon, then Nintendo can probably break out some champagne because of a successful launch.
    Again : sucks to have the faulty unit, but production errors can always happen.

11. darksweet

darksweet 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. OMEGA FLARE

Nintendo switch the EA of console.

matthi321 likes this.
  12. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Arab Emirates
    Something like these

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  13. Clapmaster

Clapmaster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Couldn't Nintendo just slightly increase thumb stick deadzone on a software level?

14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    I sure hope the Switch Pro uses the Pro controller joysticks, I fucking hate everything about the joycons.

15. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    All I can say is oh no...

16. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware
    Developer

Micronesia, Federated States of
    Every hardware release, like clockwork, the chicken littles emerge.

If just a fraction of a percent of switch owners have this issue and a fraction of them upload videos, you'd have 100's of them making a rare event look like an epidemic.

Ryccardo and KiiWii like this.
  17. Digs

Digs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Call me dumb, but why doesn't Nintendo just increase the dead zone through a software update?
    Edit// \/ There it is \/

Last edited by Digs, Sep 24, 2019
  18. Foxi4

Foxi4 GBAtemp's Biggest Women Respecter™
    Global Moderator

Poland
    The deadzone has nothing to do with the problem - the sticks drift because the carbon traces on the PCB get worn down exceedingly quickly and the copper contacts in the wipers that touch them can bend very easily due to the R3/L3 action (as in, pushing the sticks down). It's not that the stick is detected off-center, that's fairly normal due to a variability in resistance and can be easily calibrated. It's also not too sensitive, so increasing the deadzone, as in the radius of input ignored by the console won't help either. An affected stick gives false input altogether, moving around when it's not actually moving. It's an inherent flaw of the design that can only be corrected by a change of materials or an altogether different stick assembly. An analog stick is nothing more than a pair of potentiometers (in this case two slide pots) and a tactile switch - if the carbon traces are damaged or the wipers are bent, it's game over for the stick, you can't calibrate your way out of wear and tear or physical damage. All analog sticks are prone to this kind of fault, but Nintendo's are particularly susceptible to it because of how thin they are compared to full-sized ones. The subject has been explored in more detail in the thread below, complete with pictures and a more technical explanation of the problem:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-law-f...awsuit-on-nintendo-over-joy-con-drift.543812/

19. Kadji

Kadji GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    No, just No.
    Not everyone notices what the problem is.
    Not everyone is loud on twitter or other forums.
    I believe that the vast majority of people have "faulty" JoyCons.

Otherwise explain me how completeley new, fresh JoyCons, that I have barely used (since I play with a Pro Controller and only use them for Multiplayer - e.g. Super Mario Party) are already drifting.
    Nintendo was even pressured to take back faulty JoyCons, even outside of warranty.

Take of your Fanboy Glasses Goddamit.
    Nintendo is a good company, maybe still the best one around if you look at how they handle DLC / Lootboxes / F2P Games.
    But that does NOT make them imune to big mistakes. And they HAVE failed hard on the JoyCons, and now even on the Switch Lite.

There is more than enough explanaiton as to why the Sticks start drifting. The "metal" that is used to determine where the Stick is "positioned" gets scrapped off, resulting in wrong values beeing "read", resulting in the wrong Stick position beeing send to the Switch, resulting in what we know as "drift".
    You can't do anything against it, it's a design fault inside the stick.
    And Nintendo most likely can't do much about it since they only buy those parts but don't produce them by themselves.

I love Nintendo as much as the next guy but let's be honest here: They realy f*cked up this one...

THYPLEX and zoogie like this.
  20. skinnyBIGGS

skinnyBIGGS Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Why use a joystick for a handheld..its failure rate is drastically higher then console joys.. atleast from my experiance.. same with psvita ..

Heres a solution how about D PAD... maybe make a revison of a joycon without the joy lol seriously i would buy one with dpad instead.. make them a hard rubber with a indent to fit a thumb so it will still have joystick feel without the drift...

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - possible, Nintendo, already