Video shows OLED Nintendo Switch using HWFLY SX clone modchip, can boot Hekate

Now that the OLED Nintendo Switch has launched, eager fans are playing games on the new revision of the popular game console, and others are opening the system up to see what possible exploits can be performed. A new YouTube video has been uploaded, showing someone who has gotten their hands on an OLED Switch, done a teardown, and installed the HWFLY modchip onto it. The HWFLY is a newer chip that is a clone of Team Xecuter's SX Core modchip. In this video, we can see the OLED Switch, after a little bit of fiddling, turn on and go right into the Hekate bootloader. Once he does that, however, the touch screen no longer functions. While it's not totally flawless, it looks like it is very possible for homebrew to potentially run on the OLED Switch model in the near future.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice but I'm not interested at all (to my own surprise). If the new Switch had more power, it would have been great to use it for RetroArch (especially newer 3D cores) but it's not so I don't see any reason go get one instead of a Steam Deck.
For people that don't own a Switch yet at all it's nice that all models are somehow exploitable though. :)

Reactions: HollowGrams

MarkSummers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo could have gotten more seclusive with what information they put in public firmware since SciresM started analyzing the firmware revisions. But really there is no point in a new switch revision. To piggyback DLSS onto the chip would require so much engineering it would be more cost effective to put it towards the next Nintendo product - whatever that happens to be.

It's probably not economical for Nintendo to fix the Mariko exploit since accessing it requires microsoldering, and the data from game cartridges, firmware, etc, is going to get out there regardless through the V1 exploits. And who knows what production contracts Nintendo had to scramble to sign long-term a year and a half ago to maintain production levels without getting boxed out. If you're Nintendo and looking to protect your IPs, your largest concern isn't protecting new hardware you're making bank on for each unit - it's the emulation scene that can now run your games before they release and in better quality than your own hardware.

Reactions: 0x3000027E

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No surprised that mod chip still works, it cost money to disable the exploit and there is risk of creating other problem too. Going after the mod chip seller is much easier and safer. There is no risk of collateral damage to customers.

No one want to make unnecessary engineering changes. Not the one responsible for engineering.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they think since TX is gone it won't be a big deal.
It wont be, as this is just a clone.

Its not likely it will come with any future updates or anything.

Aparently it already breaks your console by soldering it, even it the board is slightly different, soldering to the main points shouldn't prevent anything else from working.

But tbf, who gives a fuck if a dirty clone works on this new model with its increased price that offers fuck all but a shit tiny oled screed.

Wow, lets play old/inferior ports with lower resolution/frames and dumbed down textures on a tiny oled that offers no improvement when its highly likely gamers own a larger/superior tv screen.

Its just another means for nintendont to crap out another revision for the sheep to rush out and buy it yet again thinking they're getting something good to justify its price increase.

You knew what would have been nice to see:
Increase cpu/gpu
Larger internal storage
Improved joycons

But no, i hope nintendo have managed to secure its replacement chip since nvidia have said it will no longer be producing its old chip.

Wonder if nintendo will front the cost for its newer chip or have found a cheaper alternative.

Either way, they need to decide rather than crap out pointless new models, wasting the allocated chips nvidia had supplied to try carry nintendont over while it decides to either upgrade or find an alternative.

Or maybe nintendont will create a shortage to create lack of consoles and a demand for the console and make up some bs excuse to why it cant produce consoles.

dotmehdi

Trophies
Paris, France, Europe, Earth (Milky Way).
XP
Country
France
Guys, if anyone serious manages to have the plans for soldering the chip on the OLED model, my message box is open and I will manage to record everything, from the installation to the first boot of the console.
I work with a professionnal who has been soldering since PSX, we have everything we need, both older and newer revisions, but we don't want to waste our time destroying chips now that some people found the good plans for installing it.
If you have any information, feel free to contact me, we will try to share everything if we get it to work correctly.

(btw sorry for my bad english :mellow:)

Horizoncrosser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Aparently it already breaks your console by soldering it, even it the board is slightly different, soldering to the main points shouldn't prevent anything else from working.

But tbf, who gives a fuck if a dirty clone works on this new model with its increased price that offers fuck all but a shit tiny oled screed.

Wow, lets play old/inferior ports with lower resolution/frames and dumbed down textures on a tiny oled that offers no improvement when its highly likely gamers own a larger/superior tv screen.

Its just another means for nintendont to crap out another revision for the sheep to rush out and buy it yet again thinking they're getting something good to justify its price increase.

Increase cpu/gpu
Larger internal storage
Improved joycons

But no, i hope nintendo have managed to secure its replacement chip since nvidia have said it will no longer be producing its old chip.

Wonder if nintendo will front the cost for its newer chip or have found a cheaper alternative.

Either way, they need to decide rather than crap out pointless new models, wasting the allocated chips nvidia had supplied to try carry nintendont over while it decides to either upgrade or find an alternative.

Or maybe nintendont will create a shortage to create lack of consoles and a demand for the console and make up some bs excuse to why it cant produce consoles.
Where have Nvidia stated they will stop producing it. Pretty sure that was a rumour.

langston

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Increase cpu/gpu
Larger internal storage
Improved joycons

Someone's pissed. The screen is actually great OLED is a amazing technology and even at a lower res can still produce good image quality. Yes the ports are worse but you can play them on the go, that's why your tv excuse is dumb.

Reactions: Sandmann

langston

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Increase cpu/gpu
Larger internal storage
Improved joycons

Someone's pissed. The screen is actually great OLED is a amazing technology and even at a lower res can still produce good image quality. Yes the ports are worse but you can play them on the go, that's why your tv excuse is dumb.

Horizoncrosser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have the oled and the screen is so crisp and it looks beautiful but that's my opinion

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would i want to pay out for a switch oled to play games i already own and can play on the go.

love the fans, they make any excuse to defend the fact, new console, old games.

so you say playing old games on the switch shitty tiny oled (brings nothing worthy at all) compared to playing on a superior 65" 8k oled screen is dumb...... ok karen.

sure, you can try polish a turd, it still remains a turd, but id rather play on my big screen than on a shitty tiny one and fyi if i was so desperate to have the need to play games on the go, i can already do this without having a switch.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here in Germany it would need to go through customs and they've gotten more aggressive with this kind of stuff. At least that's how it was with the SX Core.
not sure about Germany but from what I have heard only about 1 to 3% of packages ever get inspected by customs here in the US and now with the shipping crisis it will probably be about 0%
I don't think they are going to be doing normal inspection now that there is a log jam on both coasts
shit is getting out of hand here
certain grocery items they have been telling me "we will have it at the end of the month", every month since June and now they are telling me the end of November

Last edited by weatMod,
Reactions: Brawl345

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water