Video shows OLED Nintendo Switch using HWFLY SX clone modchip, can boot Hekate

Now that the OLED Nintendo Switch has launched, eager fans are playing games on the new revision of the popular game console, and others are opening the system up to see what possible exploits can be performed. A new YouTube video has been uploaded, showing someone who has gotten their hands on an OLED Switch, done a teardown, and installed the HWFLY modchip onto it. The HWFLY is a newer chip that is a clone of Team Xecuter's SX Core modchip. In this video, we can see the OLED Switch, after a little bit of fiddling, turn on and go right into the Hekate bootloader. Once he does that, however, the touch screen no longer functions. While it's not totally flawless, it looks like it is very possible for homebrew to potentially run on the OLED Switch model in the near future.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You think they will use the same Tegra X1 SoC for a pro model? I doubt that.

I don't, you know why? they need to retain backwards compatibility with the earlier switch consoles, else they are going to piss alot of people off, maybe by the time the last switch revision comes out, like they did with the 3ds and n3ds, with the latter having games released only for it.

Nah. a new SOC won't happen for a while yet. Best case is they release an ipatch.

Reactions: weatMod

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh wow... How could they possibly allow this? How didn't they think of patching or atleast make it so it don't work?
Beause they all use essentially the same hardware. The additional engineering costs (contracts and sourcing different components, testing, and maintenence, etc.) aren't worth it to stop a couple thousand people from pirating games.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't seem legit. Look at the micro SD card slot.
The oled model msd slot is a side loaded one

UjM5gvY.jpg

Reactions: Arithmatics

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, now I really wished this was a Pro model with a improved SOC that maybe could have still worked the same way.

I barely never used my switch, but now I even feel like buying this one as this is what the Switch should have been on day 1, just the OLED would definitely make me want to play games on it.

However since it's with a chip for now, I'm definitely not going to buy it as I never trust a chip on portable battery stuff, would totally do it if it was for something like PS5 though ;)

ps: I have pre-ordered a SteamDeck anyway so yeah, SteamDeck I will surely use since it has proper analog trigger which is a big welcome to racing genre finally for portable gaming and the fact that I can run anything like old command and conquers and so on = Good bye friends, I'm not even here drinking a beer :D. Though I'm definitely jealous of that OLED screen and how finally sexy looking it is on it's design though I would have loved a true 2021 slightly slimmer model with true 0 bezzel OLED which is just top of the line design.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was really wondering about this! But dongle_lyfe.jpeg it is for me.

99% of the time spent on my Switch is in Retroarch but I pre-ordered the Steam Deck to take that job.

I was dreaming of a proper Switch upgrade with cfw. It's by far my favorite emulation device, I just wish it was a little more powerful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Lol