Video on GBA

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by the byter, Feb 19, 2009.

Feb 19, 2009

Video on GBA by the byter at 3:58 AM (981 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. the byter
    OP

Newcomer the byter Member

United States
    I have this idea of putting some videos on a flash card for a GBA for my 2 year old to use. She sees her older siblings playing with their NDSl's and gets jealous.

Are there any homebrew media players or other flash solutions other than GBAMP?

2. velocity37

Member velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The only other non-hardware solution I've ever heard of for video on the GBA is Meteo (google it).

It doesn't use any sort of FAT access, so your video will have to fit into the .gba file. This also means you're limited to 16 or 32 megabytes depending on your flash cart. Even with a conservative bitrate, you're going to have to split videos up into pieces.

The GBA is really limited in its media capabilities though. Even with the GBAMP (which I had many a year ago) you had the space (CF cards), but the video was limited to 10FPS.

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Yeah, Meteo is really your only option. The version you'll probably find is 1.3.1 which is what the PHWiki article covers, and I'd suggest using that for a bit until you get used to it, but be aware that there is a 1.4.0 version available as well. It's not as well translated, but it does accept more input video types and allows you to fast-forward through the video rather than just restarting it (as well as increasing the brightness during video conversion which is a godsend for original non-frontlit/backlit GBAs).

4. the byter
    OP

Newcomer the byter Member

United States
    Thanks to both of you for the reference. I wasn't aware of Meteo.