Video Guide to unbricking without existing nand dump, using the new method.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gamesquest1, Feb 25, 2014.

1. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Update:- Bkifft has done it again, now there is a 1 click solution for unbricking, (not counting logging in to the raspberry pi etc before anyone gets smart :rofl2: )

if your new to the raspberry pi you can still follow the video up to the "U to unlock" command, and just stop there, just reboot your 3ds and it will be unbricked

I will leave this down here for the sake of it, but its kind of redundant at this point

I just threw together a quick video tutorial, so the people who have no nand dump can follow the process to unbrick their 3DS

all of this is thanks to the amazing work by Bkifft, hope you all appreciate it :yaynds:

if your in the uk and don't feel like soldering, or don't want to buy a raspberry pi etc, i do offer the unbricking service just PM for details.

mcsdoode, Celice, Warft and 13 others like this.

2. Don Kamikaze

Don Kamikaze Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2007
    PMed.

3. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Didn't even know it was possible without a NAND dump, awesome news!

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Fantastic! If you don't mind, I'll link to your video guide in the F.A.Q for user reference. Well done, this'll make things much easier for the users. ;)

5. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i figured some bricked users might of missed the post in the unbricking progress thread

6. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Nice job on this vid, gamesquest1. My 3DS is not bricked, but I still applaud all your efforts to help people understand how the process of unbricking works. The only thing I see that would improve this guide would be the addition of subtitles to reflect what you say in the vid, as sometimes it's kind of hard to understand, and surely hard enough for anyone who doesn't speak english as a first language. But I'm just being nitpicky. Still a very helpful vid.

7. Billy23

Billy23 Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2007
    United States
    Bro, thank you for taking the time to share this!
    Getting off wrk and seeing this made my day :)
    my hats off to you mate :grog:cheers!

8. leeksausage

leeksausage Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is great stuff.
    I propose we give gamesquest1 a digital GBATemp knighthood. His contributions to this bricking fiasco so far have been fantastic!
    Keep it up gamesquest1!

Neo Draven likes this.
  9. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    holy shit, i didn't realize the online update took so frigging long to time out (my dev pi is headless, thus always connected to the internet).

to skip the updates all together use "3dsunbrick NOUPDATE". this will also skip the USB update though, so only use it when you know you are up2date.

10. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Wow, such good news, users can finally unbrick their 3DS even if they don't have NAND Dump (who hacks mods their consoles without making a backup anyways)

11. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Could you post this on HacksDen.com, or give me permission to post it?

Yepi69 likes this.
  12. Neo Draven

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    gamesquest1 has my vote for Paladin of GBATemp.

13. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    You have permission lol :P

JoostinOnline likes this.
  14. PanCyan

PanCyan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    United States
    I can't hear you on most of the vid :( Is there a written guide somewhere?

Edit: It might be my speakers ><

15. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    don't worry you are correct the audio is very quiet, not sure why, i must of messed up the settings when i converted it, will see if i can rip the audio, increase the volume and put it over the video :yay:

Edit: never mind youtube doesn't let you add a replacement audio track, just their own crappy selection of junky music :rofl2:

16. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Nice work, dude! I'm not bricked either, but giving kudos where due. Cheers! :)

17. bostonBC

bostonBC GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 17, 2011
    United States
    Can this be used to downgrade a system to an earlier system version?

18. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    nope, unless you already have a dump from your specific 3ds when it was on 4.x you cant downgrade, each 3ds has its own encrypted nand, so you can only use dumps from your 3ds to downgrade

19. bostonBC

bostonBC GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 17, 2011
    United States
    Ok thanks. So this process isn't so much replacing a messed up NAND with a generic one of a certain version but it's found a way to unlock the locked MMC on a bricked 3DS?

Is there any way to decrypt the NAND to get the keys from a 3DS on a post-4.5 system menu and then encrypt a 4.5 version NAND with those unique keys and write that NAND?

20. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States

At this point, don't think the NAND has been decrypted or probably ever will.