Video Games Where You Felt Powerful

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by mrtimotei, Aug 12, 2012.

Aug 12, 2012
  1. mrtimotei
    OP

Member mrtimotei The Legends' Proxy

United States
    This is a very simple question. What game have you played where you felt you were the most powerful, or have mastered the hardest objective/level/etc.?

An example I personally have, is in Kingdom Hearts II. I spent hours, getting to level 99, mastering Final Form, and obtaining the Ultima Keyblade. And when you get that far, you're on top of the world.
    This is a small video, (NOT made by me,) that gives you an idea of what it's like.

[yt]WSbeS7iV9_A[/yt]​

In case you need some clarification...

Basically, pick any game where you put so much time and effort into becoming stronger, and stronger, until everything, even the final/hardest boss was like a bug that you squashed.
    Or a game where you could fly through a level taking very little/no damage. (An example would be beating a level from any Sonic game, WITHOUT taking a single hit.)
    Hell, even a fighting game, where you can pull off the longest string of combos with no sweat.

And if you have a video of it, feel free to share!

2. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Diablo II LOD at the hight of me playing and reaching near the top of the ladder for the east coast of the US for Necromancer. I could take out Baal in Hell mode in a little under 3 seconds. I would do 20 Baal runs an hour easy power leveling all kinds of people.

Much more fun than Diablo III where trying to gear up for the second half of Inferno is taking me an eternity..... So annoying.

1 person likes this.
  3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    UT2004. No doubt.

It's game without any upgrades whatsoever, but with a pretty steep learning curve for a FPS: dodging, doublejump, dodgejumping, walldodging, slope dodging, hammer jumping...there were a lot of different moves and maneuvers in that game, which understandably puts some people off (when playing with newer players, it's pretty normal I "dodgejumpwalked" past teammates because they were merely moving in a straight line). But once you got good at it...it was so very satisfying. And pulling off a moving shock combo*...the feeling is better than sex (okay, not really: but the gratifying feeling lasts longer).
    The vehicles were much more fun than in UT3, if you ask me. Taking on a leviathan with a manta or a raptor was insane (those things have 5000 HP!)...which made it all the challenging. :D

Maybe it's me, but I never really feel powerful in a game with a level-up system. Yes, games like fallout, borderlands or diablo are pretty fun...but if a boss is too easy, I'm usually just thinking I've grinded too much. Likewise, I'm never impressed by someone else doing...well, anything, really. At best, I'm thinking things like "I can do that too if I dedicate more time to this game...".

*all games have two firing modes. The shock rifle has somewhat a third: the alternate fire shoots some sort of blue 'bubble'. The primary fire is a hitscan shot. The combo is where you fire that bubble, then hit it with your primary shot (which then explodes). By itself, it's not that hard to pull off (just keep your mouse still). Hitting the bubble while moving takes some skill (especially when in the middle of a firefight). Hitting the bubble while moving AND at the exact time your enemy is close enough to the bubble to die from the blast...now THAT is something awesome.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You might like Warsow. In addition to the movement (walljumps and such) and focus on speed, it actually has a race mode with user-made race maps.
    http://www.warsow.net/ (free)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9djsllJ1E58[/youtube]

Yeah, the feeling is amazing. It's like you're flying at times.

5. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Ragnarok Online. I had all the useful cards (SINX, THANATOS, AMON RA, TAOGUNKA) and gear.

6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I guess I can say at least 2 games : Tales games and GOW games.

I actually wanted to list 3, but my mind is blocked right now.

7. aireca

Member aireca GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Im a freakin old gamer so i will go with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_GT:_Final_Bout the japanese version.

When i was a kid I played like crazy "Build Up Mode" , bassically after so much training your character can win with single hit, hahaha good memories, my favorite character is Vegetto.

8. rufus83

Newcomer rufus83 Member

United States
    I rushed Final Fantasy X when I first got it. I got my ass handed to me by Jecht way too many times. I headed off to the Omega Ruins and spent about 8 hours there leveling. When I went back to the end I absolutely slaughtered Jecht with 3 hits and an overkill. It almost felt like cheating.

9. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    Mega Man X, after collecting most or all of the power ups. Also, running through a New Game + in Chrono Trigger (most bosses literally died in one hit until at least halfway through the game when I did that).

10. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Good idea. When warsow came out, some people switched because of the speedrun mechanics. Never tried it then...but while speaking on the subject, that "itch" has come back. :)

/me is downloading...

11. Zerosuit connor

Member Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Australia
    Pfft The Sims 3. I had so much control over my sims it wasn't funny.

1 person likes this.
  12. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    BWAHAHA Where is your god NOW, Sims?

Oh, that's right, it's ME... :rofl2:

3 people like this.
  13. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Gears of War makes me feel like a badass every time.
    Until i screw up and get my head blown up...

14. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Prototype. I think the game speaks for itself.

15. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    Tales of Vesperia

+

Maxed out Fell Arms

=

Fuck you [Boss Name]

16. Black-Ice

Member Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

United Kingdom
    The Tekken Series.
    Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 coz I super grinded
    And League of Legends- see status B-)

17. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    [Prototype] and Grand Theft Auto

Ninja Gaiden, Samurai Warriors(lol slaying 1000 guys in 20 minutes... 0.o) Zelda OOT oh yeah killed Ganon!

18. DragorianSword

Member DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Belgium
    Samurai Warriors, like EON said.

19. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. Nothing makes you feel more badass than kicking ass and chewing bubble gum on the hardest difficulty mode B-)

20. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    Warship Gunner 2. Press the O button = death rains down on a bajillion bombers and cruisers. Just watching all the red dots on the radar disappear... *drool*

Also TWEWY- why have 1 super power when I can have ALL THE SUPERPOWERS!!! 8 TYPES OF LIGHTNING *ZZZZZZZZAPPP!!!*

1 person likes this.