Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Video Games to receive Health Warning Labels
To all games with T rating and above
joebaca.jpg

US Congressman Joe Baca has announced brand new legislation that requires all video games sold in America with a T rating and above to have a Health Warning Label stating "WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior.", citing that the video games industry has time and again failed to notify parents of the "potentially damaging content that is often found in their products".

Joe Baca said:
“The video game industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers – to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products,” said Rep. Baca. “They have repeatedly failed to live up to this responsibility. Meanwhile research continues to show a proven link between playing violent games and increased aggression in young people. American families deserve to know the truth about these potentially dangerous products.”

“We must hold the video game industry accountable and do everything in our power to ensure parents are aware of the detrimental effects that violent games can have before making decisions on which games are appropriate for their children to play,” concluded Rep. Baca. “I am proud to introduce the Video Game Health Labeling Act of 2009, and am hopeful my legislation can work to stop the growing influence of violent media on America’s children and youth.”

icon11.gif
 Source
discuss.png
 Discuss

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh all the bullshit in the freakin world!! Why does the video game industry have to be 'accoutable' for the reaction of spoil brats and careless parents when there's already violence and aggression inside the world today?!

All I can type is that just another way to claim money inside this poor economic period!

TwilitSky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least it mentions that other forms of violent media might be responsible too. But yeah, I don't like it if video games will get sole treatment; are they going to start this labelling on movies as well? That's the only way I'd accept it. Otherwise, video games will start to be blamed even more.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many copies of Doom 1, Doom 2, and Doom 3 have been sold in the past 15 years?
How many people developed aggressive behavior after playing these?
That's what I thought. A statistically insignificant amount. I blame it on a lack of decent parenting, overdrugging our youth, and poor eating habits.

Why? Because I have played most, if not all of the big AAA titles in the past 15 years. I have yet to turn violent after playing every version of GTA, Doom, Quake, Halo, heck even Manhunt or Postal.

I lived in a peaceful environment growing up, and guess who introduced me to first person shooters? My dad, with Wolfenstein 3d (the original!)

So yeah, I'm calling bullshit on this one too.

Kyoton

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With talks all day about war and death rates, how come that isnt to blame? What makes REAL KILLING better then SIMULATING IMPOSSIBLE STUNTS?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Really? I knew this was being discussed but.. is it approved already?

Anyway, I'm in favor of it if movies receive the same warning
tongue.gif

IMO, this will only make younger people want more the violent games..

BTW, the "discuss" link is broken

Seina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else notice in the first sentence his last name is 馬鹿 and then look back up at the picture?

I wonder what kind of neurological link. Did the memory of the games cause the behavior? If the games made them feel "violent" that's just our normal everyday reaction to things. They're talking about some kind of abnormal chemical link in the brain, right? Not that I'm ignoring it's they're making crap up to pass these laws to control our thoughts, but just trying to understand this source he's citing. Doesn't sound much like science.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Now that this new label is in effect, murders will cease to be!

And what study links video games making people go out and kill someone?

I think he's confusing correlation with causation.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
I imagine GH/RB or other music games having warning labels.

Guitar Hero: Metallica

WARNING: Rocking out too much might cause injuries. Drumsticks should ONLY be used for hitting the drums. The guitar is not an axe, even though many refer to it as "axe". The mic will not stimulate you, whatever you think of its shape.

280pngy.jpg

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
The general idea is imho... useless. I mean don't we all have rating systems for that ? Idiot parents won't pay attention even if the warning would take 99% of the cover. All others that care look up to the ESRP/PEGI/WHATEVER and know if it's an appropriate game for their kids. *Sigh* , I hope this won't reach europe and if it will please oh please let the warning be a separate paper insert so I can get rid of it and enjoy the boxart in it's full glory.

Shebang

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
They should tattoo a politician disclaimer on the forehead "I am a politician and everything I utter is real nonsene. Don't believe me. You pay my rent, though".

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And another scapegoat is officially logged in the books. Violence in video games, movies or any other form of media won't ever cause someone to become violent.

All they might do is give ideas to someone who is already inclined to be violent, in other words, someone who is fucked up in the head to begin with. But people like that will find inspiration somewhere regardless - sickos like them have existed throughout the history of mankind. This is no better than a doctor treating the symptoms of an illness instead of the cause - which is a fight with no end (just like Bush's "war on terror")

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs