Video games or Robots?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Phoenix Goddess, May 21, 2010.

May 21, 2010

Video games or Robots? by Phoenix Goddess at 2:35 AM (1,364 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Phoenix Goddess
    OP

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    Okay, so I've decided I'm going to go to school for both before I die, but which one should I do first?

I'm madly in love with video games, I've been playing since I was 3 and will play until the day I die. It's always been my passion to go to school for it, to create or help create video games, especially hardcore FPS and RPG games XD
    I've already started translating two games (Not gonna say which ones due to trolls)

But at the same time, I have a secret obsession with creating robots. I would LOVE to do it, I'm a huge technology girl, and I know almost everything about computers, so I'm sure I can create a robot that will surprise many. I already create little things here and there (solar powered)

I believe in my skills for both, have the passion for both, but which one should I go to school for first?

I came here to ask because I feel comfortable talking here on gbatemp [​IMG]

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Video Game design is not as fun as you think, unless you like math.

3. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Unless you want to put a good few years into being a lot of peoples bitch in testing, or starting out in 12+hour day crap jobs doing coding I'd say unless you specialize in something few do exceptionally well (art/sound) you're better off with robots. Robots you got the control over your work, you go your way, create your AI, make you parts and gears, etc to get what you want from it. With gaming, you're just one of those cogs in that robot you could be making getting twisted and screwed with right along with the rest of the parts.

This comes from someone who worked for 2years at Midway Home Entertainment roughly a decade ago now, and then another 4 years after in online gaming media with editorials, specials and mostly reviews. Gaming unless you can get a nice job as a designer or a producer fucking sucks unless you are one of those geniuses who just rock all ass out with making beautiful art or audio.

4. imshortandrad

Member imshortandrad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Make the robot. [​IMG]

5. cruddybuddy

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

United States
    Build a robot who will program video games for you! Then you can have the Miley Cyrus of both worlds!

6. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I vote robots.

7. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    I hear video game-anything doesn't pay much.

As a robot engineer, you might be able to invent a gear, or a joint, or type of robot, or something that you could patent because unlike vide games, robotics is a relatively small industry with much room for development and perfection while video games, ever since the 3rd dimension have already been figured out and perfected.

8. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Just be careful, and read over your contracts if you do go into any kind of engineering job. If you develop something, there may be a clause that whatever company you work for has the rights to anything you develop while in their employ.

9. Phoenix Goddess
    OP

United States
    I wanted to become a video game designer, if that helps.

But I want to create something better than the i-fairy (A Japanese robot). I'm good at science, a bit okay with math, but in order to do either one, I have to be perfect with math.

In the small things I've created, I had no choice but to use math.

I'm a bit conflicted in between the two and that's why I require opinions, I come from a line of gamers, everyone around me are gamers, but I could just do things like that as I have been, as only a hobby I find interesting.

I love learning, so if I can pass that on to a robot I created, it'd be a lifelong accomplishment.

Besides, I plan on giving either my translated games or my first or second robot as a gift.

One thing I don't like about it though, is that people get out of hand when someone announces they're translating a game, that's why the games are secret.

But if I create a robot, it'll take years to perfect, will it not?

Does anyone here have any robot specific knowledge?

Peh, please, no comparison with her, say something else like... you'll have your robot do your dirty work for you, something lol

10. ufotrash

Member ufotrash GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I like the robot idea. It is just 10x cooler than telling people you are a video game designer. Haha...what somebody above said about contracts, that could also go the same way as being a designer. Essentially when you deal with anything "creative" theres always the question of who owns the rights to what and what deals to make with people etc etc...I don't know, well I'm a freelance illustrator so I do some character design once in a while and I know contracts are the stickiest part of any job I take on...

Considering I know next to nothing about robots, I find that world more interesting. I mean, I don't think I can say I know ANYBODY who is into robots. It's an exciting underexposed idea that I think could be a lot more fruitful for you in the future...blah blah blah
    But. I'm rambling. If you still haven't decided yet here's another vote for robot!

11. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    I have no idea. Both have been my passion since I was 5. It all depends on the kind of thing you want to do in those industries, like programming or just designing.

12. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Well, as a video game designer you're working with the creative process, the ideas. Not the actual coding, that's the programmer's job. So you get to add your own style to what you create if you stick with it long enough to work your way up the ranks. You may never reach the level of Godhood like that of Miyamoto, but it's nice to know that people will be playing what came from your mind and it brings them joy. Unless your games suck, of course. But so long as you steer clear of the word 'Imagine' and anything ending in a Z, you should be fine.

Working in robotics may not be as creative, but it would be more wide-reaching as a career. Robots are useful in so many situations. Bomb disposal, recon, helping to rescue people after earthquakes, maybe even landing on other worlds one day if you're lucky. You never know, you may one day create a robot that assists the first manned landing on Mars. Incidentally, if that's the case you HAVE to name the AI on board the robot ADA. You just have to.

It all depends on how strong your convictions are. Both career paths offer countless opportunities. Video games design is more psychological with its rewards, knowing you bring joy to people, whereas robotics has the potential to help you save lives. Depends what type of reward you'd prefer from your career. Not for me to decide or advise, just hoping that clears things up a little. Which it probably didn't.

13. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    just so you know, in case this isnt obvious to u, but if you were to take up programming, there's a lot of math involved, you be waking up to the sight of matrix, trigno and all sort of wonderful math. Then, there's all those syntax that you have to get used to, to make heads or tail of it. Then, there are the other complex stuff that i am too lazy to type out.

In short, programming is pretty complex, frustrating, irritating and rewarding at the same time. There's just nothing, no words to describe how i felt,when after 3 months, my game was done and polished enough to be handed in for my final year project. It's probably what mothers felt whenever they gave birth, i guess?

Also, video game design isnt as easy as you might think, you need to have a good idea of how the real world works, how would positioning this light source help out?

How should these platforms be laid out? How should my stage look? Is there any mechanics that i should be adding to my stage.

Depending on the way, your character jump/do stuff, you might have to change your level layout. For example, if your character is able to hang on a cliff, you have the choice of being an ass and having your platforms higher than your design and it will still work.

I have 4 months of practical game design experiences excluding the actual module, designing levels, spending 2 months on 2 seperate final year projects fine-tuning the levels. But, in the end, actually i find game level design easy as soon as i realized what mechanics should be in each level. What is the theme of that area? Foresty? Mountain? Stimulating a bug crash? & etc..

However, there are good practice and bad habits when designing game level.

This site will show u the bad habits [​IMG]

http://www.designersnotebook.com/Design_Re...ie_database.htm

14. Phoenix Goddess
    OP

United States
    Haha, you don't have to tell me twice about the bad habits. You were actually the one who helped me learn how to translate and hack, don't know if you remember though, I don't think you do, but it's good to hear from you again [​IMG]

I've created two games already and currently translating two. I'm overloading myself each day with Japanese so I can make perfect translations, and with my hacking skills, I'm doing pretty good solo.

I still have a lot to learn about both game designing and robotic engineering, and coding is reeeeeal hard, but I'm getting better at it each day. You need to know the best math when it comes to creating AI conscious robots, and you need to know the best math to code for video games, but as I said, I love knowledge [​IMG]
    But what are your thoughts MrFatso? video games or robots?

15. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    err, are u sure u got the right person, i dont recall every being useful and polite :| It's probably a fake mrfatso that you seen somewhere [​IMG]

To be honest, i have no idea, but one thing that i will tell u is that if anyone tells you that playing game is as easy as programming one, slap him/her for me please, that person made me spent 3 years of my life learning programming :\

Just do whatever you feel like i guess. It's your life and if you give it your best shot, what's the worse thing that you can regret?

16. Phoenix Goddess
    OP

United States

Damn, must've been someone else. Or maybe you got drunk and your drunk side is nice and polite XD
    But it's okay, I'm sure you're sober now, so you won't make the same mistake twice [​IMG]

I know for a fact that programming a game isn't as easy as playing one. There's not really enjoyment in the little programming I've done so far, but the results are what usually makes people amazed.

I want to do what I want, the hard part is doing it, cause I'm conflicted :/

17. Skye07

Member Skye07 GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    I had the same choice, I chose engineering because you get paid more, it's a bit of both (programming + electronics), the gaming industry is cruel and in Belgium you have little to no game companies.

With engineering you really can make the world a better place, even if it's a small piece of electronics. Hell, one of the professors at my uni helped creating the Compact Disc, how cool is that?

In the end it's your choice but if you want to have a degree in both eventually I'd start out with engineering, get a good job, and then go for the game developer degree.

18. Phoenix Goddess
    OP

United States

That's pretty damn cool actually, about your professor.

I'm most likely going to go for Robotic engineering first and then video game designing afterward, or maybe I'll just create a robot that'll help me with the video game designing, haha
    I'll create the robot with the internet in it's mainframe XD