Mav180

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long time no see, eh?

This topic will deal with Video Game sequels and our thoughts as a gaming community on them. We've all played a sequel to a great game that made us cringe and say, "What were they thinking?" So as a community, what were some sequels to a blockbuster hit or a cult favorite that were somewhat lacking compared to the base game? What were the qualities you sought when you were waiting for that sequel? What should have been expanded upon and what should the developers not have changed? Also, what did the developers do wrong? I'm not asking you to insult the game series as a whole and I would think it would be obvious not to bash other people's opinions as well.

Personally, I was a fan of the game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR, as it were). It had a great story, amazingly in-depth characters, and a really fun battle system. So when the sequel was announced, I thought the developers would enhance the the battle system to make it more balanced to certain weapon types, utilize a more easily accessible menus, and make the consequences for choices have prolonged effects. When the game, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords arrived on store shelves, I bought it and played it nonstop. At first, nothing glaringly wrong was apparent; the characters and story were even more so involved with one another, the combat was balanced, and my wish for the menu to be cleaned up even came true! There was something that became noticeable about half-way through, though. Several characters spoke about planets you couldn't visit, events that haven't happened yet, not to mention a party member that didn't have more than two lines to say. The fans of the game rooted through the game files and discovered that much of the game content was cut due to time-constraints, ultimately ruining a game that would have been even better than the original. Several online communities have resolved to "fix" the game via their own patches, but many of them have disbanded or have released patches that only fixed some problems. The game is broken to this day, and that is truly sad seeing how the sequel was better in many ways than the original.

Enough of that tragic story, it's time to hear yours!

bRKcRE

Trophies
XP
Country
team gizka have been working on a mod for the pc version of the game that replaces most, if not all, of the cut content. the project is somewhat stalled at the moment, though you can check for updates on the project HERE.

Mav180

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blainy said:
team gizka have been working on a mod for the pc version of the game that replaces most, if not all, of the cut content. the project is somewhat stalled at the moment, though you can check for updates on the project HERE.
That's the team I was referring to when I was said uncompleted projects. If you don't know, the leader of the team Dashus has pretty much up and left the project stating that his real life is too busy to work on the patch. Their forums have been so bored waiting for the project that they have delved into talking about global warming, politics, and any other topic they can imagine just to keep themselves on the site to wait for the patch. I would know; I was following the patch almost since the project was started.

But on topic, do you know of any sequels that you thought were worse than the original?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cut your life into pieces. +1