Video Game Piracy on Craigs List

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by SickPuppy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SickPuppy
    OP

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I looked at my local craigs list video game section this morning, it's only 12:00 here and I've seen 4 posts of people selling pirated video games, flashcarts, and softmodding services, mostly Wii/DS stuff and one for XBOX 360 games. It's against the craigs list rules, and there are laws against it too. It just aint right that people download these games for free and then profit from it. I wonder if the same people could get away with selling assault weapons on craigs list? As far as I know the only way to put a stop to this is to flag the post as prohibited. To get the post taken down, three people need to flag the post. I get on there just about every day and flag the posts, but it's going to take more than just me doing it.

2. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Riveting concerns, old chap.

3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    You could always report them to some authorities that might give a crap (not craigslist).

4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Uh, eBay has the same "problem". Plenty of people do that. And, if you report them, they just come back under another account.

5. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Craigslist has listed (and continues to list if you know where to look, I'm sure) prostitution.

I don't think video game piracy is a high priority for them.

tronic307 and RodrigoDavy like this.
  6. SickPuppy
    OP

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    It's people like this that make us look bad. Not everybody that hacks their console or even pirates games it looking to make a profit. Since this is a federal crime, even mentioning it to a federal agency would possibly put me under a microscope, which I don't need. I doubt the local law enforcement would even bother.

7. Its_just_Lou

Its_just_Lou GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    United States
    This is true. Personally, I consider potential rapes/assaults/abductions a 'bit more' important than some d-bag trying to sell roms.

I see those ads, though, sure....this morning someone listed rom sets 'for sale'....was going to call the guy and bust his balls, but I cant be bothered.
    ("Hello, this is Detective Ryans with the Bureau of Criminal Investigations, Piracy Division....I'd like to speak with you about.....")

:grog:

8. dj4uk6cjm

dj4uk6cjm GBAtemp Fan

Nov 23, 2012
    United States
    Lol people sell alot of bullshit on craigslist lately, it's a daily living for them i guess.

9. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    My favorite ones are the ones that don't even try to be sly about it...

"Pre modded Wii and an external hard drive loaded with hundreds of games!"

Lest some one think I am picking on the Wii, I have seen them for the 360 and the PS3.

I assume its one thing to sell a pre modded system but another if you load it up with software in order to jack the price up....

10. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I just think it's funny, but that's how I found out about my favourite Canadian flashcart vendors.

I hate when people pre-load software - I bought a R4i3DS in Hong Kong this summer, and ugh - full of crap games. (I had no choice, actually, because I didn't have access to a computer.)

11. Isaac

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    Then how did you post that?

12. jax604

jax604 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2012
    Canada
    The CIty
    Umm, hes not in Hong Kong anymore i assume?

Ammako likes this.
  13. WhoRuJudge

WhoRuJudge No, Who Are You?

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2008
    United States
    I used to offer softmodding on the XBOX1, PSP, and FMCB installs on the PS2 on craigslist. I NEVER included games with the service. PS2 FMCB was free if you brought me a MC, otherwise everything I offered was $15.
    I mostly reset PSPs when some kid turned it off during an update or something. I didn't make a lot, but it was steady enough to buy me lunch in college.

As most of those systems are not very popular anymore, I no longer post ads on craigslist.

astrangeone likes this.
  14. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    i once saw on ebay someone selling a midi with a pirated copy of virtual dj

15. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    I don't think that soft-modding services or flash carts are technically illegal to sell. Sure, they're often used for piracy and the like, but that doesn't make them illegal. Selling pirated games is a different story, however.

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  16. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I used to do that with a hard modded Pandora battery. It was pretty good, although the kid kept coming back for it to get done.

17. WhoRuJudge

WhoRuJudge No, Who Are You?

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2008
    United States
    I have the Datel product that would actually switch an official battery to Pandora and back again. It's buried somewhere in the man cave right now.

It guarantees that there is almost nothing I can do to my psp that I cannot recover from.

18. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    It means one is not allowed to sell a console because it's hacked. What should they do with it, burn it? Besides, just because the console is hacked it doesn't mean one can't use legit games in it...

If you find this bad, in South America they sell pirated consoles in regular retail stores.

Once you buy a console, the physical good is yours. You can do whatever shit you want with it, it isn't against the law. If you want to softmod, install a modchip or get a flashcart it isn't prohibited. Selling copyrighted material, like pirate games copies is where lies the problem.

On a side note, I have the feeling there are some people who take this anti-piracy thing way too seriously. It is a nice thing you buy legit copies of game and all, but there's no reason to act like you're some kind of police or something. I wonder if your copies Windows and MS Office you probably use are legit, if you pay for every music you listen to, for every movie you watch. Doing any of those thing is not any different than pirating video games

19. dj4uk6cjm

dj4uk6cjm GBAtemp Fan

Nov 23, 2012
    United States

A midi? As in a midi file? Or midi controller/keyboard?

20. SickPuppy
    OP

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    Sure I have pirated stuff, but my main bitch was about people selling pirated video games (it's in the first post), I don't see many people on craigs list selling too much other pirated stuff. The posts I've seen are of usb hard drives fill up with games, flashcarts with 500 games. And if you don't want to buy a usb hdd, they will fill your usb hdd for a fee. I'd never buy or sell pirated materials. If you want to pirate stuff then fine, just don't make a career out of it. Yes, my Windows 7 is legit, I don't us office, I listen to the radio for my music, and movies are free to watch on the net without having to download them. I suppose things are different where you live, but here they make laws and don't enforce them, then they make new laws because the old laws don't get enforced, and just keep making new laws. Lately, the law makers have been wanting to take control of the internet, I say they just enforce the laws that are already on the books, that might take care of some of the problems.

tronic307 and RodrigoDavy like this.