Video-Game Middle School / High School

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by leetdude_007, Jun 22, 2007.

Jun 22, 2007
  1. leetdude_007
    OP

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    So I was driving home and caught a story on NPR's All Things Considered about a donation made by the MacArthur Foundation to new schools that will based off video game design.

Source: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=11259040
    If you take a listen, the primer to this story is that the 20th century definition of literacy was the proficiency in reading and writing. "New Literacy" in the 21st century is based on the ability to perceive dynamic systems. One way to stimulate this form of thinking is through video-game design!

Interesting, yes?

2. Da Foxx

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Man... I wish I could go to this school. Its not like I'm learning anything in school now that will help me in the future besides math and english.

3. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I remember playing a computer game at school when I was around 9. It was based on a ship and you had to like talk to the people and they'd tell you things, and you'd have to find or do what they say to move on. It ran from DoS from floppy discs. Then my school thought it was hot because we got a windows computer =o

4. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    that is really awesome but to be honest....i dont think its a good idea.
    if you think closely, what do middleschool kids like the most usually?
    sex, violence, "adult themes"...imagine if the kids dont get enough guidance.
    itll just be a churnout of stuff worse than EA does. and these are going to be the kids that are going to be the majority in the games industry of their generation.
    Sure, we'll get inspired stuff once in a while but like stuff before it, it will just be ignored..
    imagine a world where games like ICO and shadow of the collusus are frowned upon because of their creativity, were dangerously close to that already.

i also feel that the statement

"If you take a listen, the primer to this story is that the 20th century definition of literacy was the proficiency in reading and writing. "New Literacy" in the 21st century is based on the ability to perceive dynamic systems. One way to stimulate this form of thinking is through video-game design!"

is wrong, no other way about it. literacy is much more than a profeciency in reading and writing and even though i cant stand the subject in class, i respect it for all its worth and done.

literacy is art, and art just cant be changed like that