• Of course!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Maybe, too early to tell.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Don't know.

• I think so but VR and upgrades are making it hard to foretell.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PC Mustard Race 4 Lyfe

• Total voters

Xuman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heyo!

Everyone, we are about halfway through the eigth generation of gaming. This has been a time where we've have disappointments (id hate to say it, but, Wii U) and out of nowhere wonder hits (Shovel Knight, Undertale). But I'm mainly talkin about hardware folks. I'm curious to see what generation 9 in gaming will become. Here's why.

- Nintendo's Next Console Is Coming Only 4.5 Years After The Previous One

Granted, it is due to the less-than-braggable sales and expectations of the Wii U. That i think is fine. But it only scares me, as it makes me wonder if this console is being rushed out.

- Sony/Microsoft Releasing Upgrades To Their Consoles

These aren't just simple trimmed down consoles with bigger hard drives, but overall upgrades to the previous models like the N3DS. Its not bad, persay, but it leaves little to the imagination of what the PS5 and...uh, the Next Xbox (Nextbox?) can do. The xbox one is already basically just becoming a windows pc, and the initial draw to the xbox was tv sports call of duty when it waa announced. The PS4 is really just a super polished and sexy looking PS3 (not a bad thing) and i typically get games on ps4 for the graphics and story (kingdom hearts) but other than that, why buy it?

- The VR Craze Is The Next 3D Movie

Playstation has VR. Microsoft is rumored to get it. Theres Oculus and various others. Hell even phones have VR headsets. Sure, i havent played a game on one, and yes it can bring out alot of intuitiveness in things like horror. But is the average person really gonna slap on that everytime to play a game? I think its like when 3d movies cane out. We were all like "oh snap! I can touch that!" but now its honestly imo boring and uneeded. So whos to say VR will be here to stay?

- Why Buy An Upgraded Console Versus An Upgradable PC?

Thats self explainatory.

To wrap up, in the 8th generation the Wii U and PSVita kinda bombed, indies are rockin everything, VR is all the rage, the Xbone is becoming less of a game console, and the PS4 doesnt really need an upgrade imo. If you upgrade a console with better specs, graphics, and add new features, shouldnt it be the next console in line? Does all this take away from expectations of the NX, PS5 and Nextbox?

TAY. I want to know your opinions. If your a console gamer like myself, do you think that gen 9 will be good? Or are we just building onto gen 8?

Side question, do steam boxes count as home consoles now?

Last edited by Xuman,
Reactions: Lightyose

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I dunno. First
EDIT: I just dont like when they keep releasing the same consoles but remastered with More features or whatever, that are just for gaining more money

Last edited by Lightyose,

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can go either way really.
With price in mind I think the 9th may be okay. I'm not to hyped on newer graphics, or hardware compared to the 8.5 gen.
But avoiding that, hell yes it would be great! I don't know why someone would play a SNES over a Wii U, or PS4 if it was free along with the system. :P

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Where's the obligatory "let's wait until after E3"-button? This is like asking the character of your future child when the baby isn't even born yet. Or in this case: when there's not even a conception yet*.

For what it's worth: the entire catalogisation of games in generations is stupid. I can't but look at these posts in futile attempts to bring a bigger whole to what is essentially just console companies having done their job.
What I get even less is that whenever companies announce new features and innovative ways to play (kinect? that PS dildo?), the community just complains that they just want upgrades. When they announce just upgrades, they downplay it saying "it's just an upgrade". And I don't get it: unlike the so-called beginning of this generation (with the PS4 and xbone just doing the same but more powerfull-y), there is actually new stuff going on here: VR.

I'm personally skeptical of VR because the total cost is so expensive. But who's to say how this will turn out?
Hence...(again): where is my "let's wait until after E3"-button?

*on the plus side of the analogy: I can't deny that this is - in both cases - usually the fun part: free speculation about what might become and having lots of fun in the process ^_^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans