Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to share this information :

Generation I :
Magnavox Odyssey (Made by Ralph H. Baer, father of video game console)

Generation II :
Fairchild VES
RCA Studio II
Atari 2600

Handheld :
Microvision
Epoch Game Pocket Computer
Nintendo Game & Watch

---Video Game Crash---

Generation III:
Famicom
NES
Sega Master System
Atari 7800
Atari XEG S
Commodore 64 Game System
Amstrad GX4000

Handheld :
GameBoy

Generation IV :
TurboGrafX-16
Mega Drive/Sega Genesis
NeoGeo
Super Famicom/Snes
Pioneer Laser Active

Handheld :
GameBoy Pocket/GameBoy Color
Atari Lynx
Sega GameGear
TurboExpress

Generation V :
FM Towns Marty
Atari Jaguar
3DO Interactive
PC-FX
Sega 32X
Virtual Boy
Sega Saturn
Sony Playstation
Nintendo 64

Handheld :
Sega Nomad
GameBoy Pocket
Game.com
GameBoy Light
GameBoy Color
NeoGeo Pocket

Generation VI :
Sega DreamCast
Sony Playstation 2
Nintendo GameCube
Microsoft Xbox

Handheld :
GameBoy Advance
NeoGeo Pocket Color
WonderSwan Color

Generation VII :
Microsoft Xbox 360
Sony Playstation 3
Nintendo Wii

Handheld :
Nintendo DS
Sony Playstation Portable
N-Gage

Generation VIII :
Nintendo Wii U
Microsoft Xbox One
Sony Playstation 4

Handheld :
Nintendo 3ds
Playstation Vita

Generation IX :
Nintendo Project NX (Code name only)

Handheld :
New Nintendo 3DS (released in 2014/2015, I think we can consider it as the first Gen 9 console)

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console#First_generation

Reactions: BurningDesire

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sorry man. Everything you have labeled as Gen 3 is actually Gen 1. Everything before were home computing/arcade entertainment machines made by independent companies. Gen 1 didn't exist until Gen 2. As the nes precedes the snes. Nothing precedes your Gen 3 consoles in terms of improvement on the console. Their not related as it were.

Just because we evolved from monkeys doesn't mean I consider them family and elder generations.

Last edited by WeedZ,

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry man. Everything you have labeled as Gen 3 is actually Gen 1. Everything before were home computing/arcade entertainment machines made by independent companies. Gen 1 didn't exist until Gen 2. As the nes precedes the snes. Nothing precedes your Gen 3 consoles in terms of improvement on the console. Their not related as it were.

Just because we evolved from monkeys doesn't mean I consider them family and elder generations.
Pretty sure nes wasn't gen 1

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I hope you are trolling me.
NES was the console that really launched the video game market but it doesn't mean it was the very first video game console...
You remember cars? The very first Ford was the very first car but it didn't launched the cars market, we had to wait years before cars became something popular.
Same thing about the electricity, at the beginning, there were only light bulb working with it.

Those two technology, combustion motor and electricity, were just like video game console. They weren't as big as today at the beginning, but they did existed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

By the way, you says that there were no improvement at all between console of Gen 1,2 and 3 but there was a lot of improvement

Gen 1 or Odyssey was using some kind of interference in TV image to create graphics. It wasn't showing 2D graphics like on the NES. It was like, show me an interference between pixel X and pixel Y, and there was a line,
Magnavox was using 1D graphics. There was a way to get other graphics like terrains, but you know how? There was some plastic transparent sheet with graphics that you put on your TV screen. Seriously...

As for the Gen 2, for what I understand, most of them didn'T had any game cartridge like today. These "cartridge" only enabled/disabled switch inside the console, which was making game. In other word, the console "hold every game" and the cartridge only enables one of them at a time.

The Gen 3 however, used cartridge that did were holding games.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I hope you are trolling me.
NES was the console that really launched the video game market but it doesn't mean it was the very first video game console...
You remember cars? The very first Ford was the very first car but it didn't launched the cars market, we had to wait years before cars became something popular.
Same thing about the electricity, at the beginning, there were only light bulb working with it.

Those two technology, combustion motor and electricity, were just like video game console. They weren't as big as today at the beginning, but they did existed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

By the way, you says that there were no improvement at all between console of Gen 1,2 and 3 but there was a lot of improvement

Gen 1 or Odyssey was using some kind of interference in TV image to create graphics. It wasn't showing 2D graphics like on the NES. It was like, show me an interference between pixel X and pixel Y, and there was a line,
Magnavox was using 1D graphics. There was a way to get other graphics like terrains, but you know how? There was some plastic transparent sheet with graphics that you put on your TV screen. Seriously...

As for the Gen 2, for what I understand, most of them didn'T had any game cartridge like today. These "cartridge" only enabled/disabled switch inside the console, which was making game. In other word, the console "hold every game" and the cartridge only enables one of them at a time.

The Gen 3 however, used cartridge that did were holding games.
I remember seeing those transparencies that you put on the tv. Things were ghetto back then lol
My reasoning is this

1. As you said, gen 3 actually launched the console industry.

2. By improvement, I meant a family line. Like nes to snes or master system to genesis. A generation is Era of children to the next.

3. To me, a console is a home gaming device that you get games for. Most of the earlier consoles where in themselves a single (or a few) games in a premade device. Like an all in one toy.

This is how I see it. I personally consider the earlier systems too crude and 'novelty' to be consider as a serious gaming console. An earlier predecessor sure, but not a console.

I can't really argue or expect you to agree with me, as I said, it's my personal view.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can see your point, but still the magnavox odissey was a console. The first console ever. If you ask your grand parent what console looked like in his time, he will tells you that there was no cartridge, or graphics weren't even in 2D. Why? Because the cartridge is an improvement and has been improved by holding games. If you consider the NES as being the first worldwide console, then you could also say that this hydroelectric barrage built more than 100years ago who produced 4kWh wasn't the very first hydroelectric barrage because the first one who launched the hydroelectricity market was built X years later and produced 4MWh...

Last edited by Noctosphere,

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This list is all sorts of mixy fun. Bloody hell. You're missing all your Pong consoles, yet you included the Oddysey, which was essentially a glorified Pong console with TV overlays. You included the Game And Watch, despite them being single-game handheld units (much like the Tiger Electronics games or the Mattel single-game units from the 70s). You've got the Game Boy line all split up into different generations (it's the same damn system with minor screen, size and battery improvements up until the release of the GBC, certainly not enough to classify them as belonging to a new generation), you pushed the Game Boy into a different gen as the Lynx, Game Gear and TurboExpress despite the latter systems all being released within the timeframe of 1989-1990, and you entirely omitted the Entex Select A Game. And the Vectrex. AND the bloody Colecovision. AND the Intellivision.

And this is why "gens" are ridiculous.

Last edited by Muffins,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM