Video Game Awards 2012 Wrap-Up

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Guild McCommunist, Dec 8, 2012.

Dec 8, 2012
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    While certainly not the bringer of news and excitement as much as the big conventions of the year (such as E3, Gamescom, and the Tokyo Games Show), Spike's Video Game Awards have brought interesting announcements and of course awards every year. So let's take a short look at this year's news and awards.

For the surprise upset, The Walking Dead, by Telltale Games, won Game of the Year. Telltale also won Studio of the Year. The list is a bit lengthy, so you can read it all below.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

In game announcements, we got two major debuts. First, from the unknown, new, and mysterious developer "Moby Dick Studios" comes "The Phantom Pain". However, prevailing rumors say this game is a ruse, and that the game is in fact Metal Gear Solid V. You can make up your mind and read the evidence here and view the trailer at the source below.

The next game is the sequel to Dark Souls (which was a sequel to Demons Souls), plainly labeled Dark Souls II. Not much was shown outside of a trailer. You can view it here or at the source below.

The Last of Us, the latest project from Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, and Uncharted developer Naughty Dog, has finally gotten an official release date. The game will be arriving on May 7th for the Playstation 3.

There was also brand new trailers for South Park: The Stick of Truth, The Last of Us, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, Gears of War: Judgment, Bioshock Infinite, and Tomb Raider. You can view all the trailers (for now) at the AllGamesBeta source.

:arrow: Awards Source
    :arrow: The Last of Us release date source
    :arrow: Trailers

2. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    *coughs I voted for The Walking Dead
    I am delightedly surprised that Call of Duty didn't win :)

3. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    I heard a lot of seasoned CoD vets didn't like it but oddly a lot of previously "Call of Duty is meh" people and critics loved it. Also a CoD comes ever year, Halo doesn't always.

A side note: Comments pertaining to Phantom Pain and Dark Souls II should go in their respective threads, I just don't want to hijack the work of others by stealing their threads' limelight.

4. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Seems like half those titles were pulled straight out of their ass last minute.
    XCOM for best PC game...what?... Fun game, but it's no where near the best of 2012 for PC. Not even going to bother poking at the rest of the list.

5. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    :bow:

Demon's Souls is my #1 game of this generation, with Dark Souls an incredibly close second. More? Yesh!!

6. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    My friend is a seasoned XCOM fan and he said that the recent one was one of the best games he played.

7. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    It is pretty fun, but it's also pretty limited, and glitchy...my god. I remember one level I played, I almost couldn't proceed because my map would glitch and I couldn't move my units anywhere relevant. It likes to flicker in and out of existence and makes it impossible to issue commands. Maps with too many height differences in terrain get preeeetty bad.
    Also based on forum browsing I did for XCOM, seemed like the veteran population is about half and half love/hate. Well not really 'hate'...but, they put it lower than the older games (for some albeit justifiable reasons).

But anyway, yeah, no where near GOTY for PC. Fun though.

8. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    All in all, not a bad list. I could see The Walking Dead winning, its a good game. All in all, i really agree with this list :yay:

9. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Obviously she meant Garry Newman.

G-Mod GOTY 2012.

Gahars and raulpica like this.
  11. Dork

Member Dork GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I love how Wii and Wii U are the same category.

12. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    XCOM was mighty fun, and probably really the best PC game in 2012. And I've finished the original games 3-4 times.

13. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Please, Guild, get to the good stuff already. Everybody's just dying to know: how did Linkin Park's performance measure up? Were they able to surpass My Chemical Romance's legendary set from 2010's show?

Come on, man, don't leave us hanging!

14. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "While certainly not the bringer of news and excitement as much as the big conventions of the year (such as E3...."

I covered E3 as my act of yearly masochism and although I have yet to watch much of anything from this it already has the lead on things I might one day care about vs what E3 had. I wonder if the VGAs having more stuff of note than E3 is a sign of something. Granted my memories of E3 this year consist of Watch Dogs, some vague memories of amusement from a few other games and laughing at the "asymmetric gaming" buzzword.

15. Mr. Prince

Member Mr. Prince GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Saudi Arabia
    YES! Dark Souls 2!!! But I'm kinda worried about the change in directors and making it more accessible :/