esoterica

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I remember a while ago, I was on GameFAQs, browsing around when I noticed the poll on their main page. It was titled "What is the biggest thing you have given up to keep on playing a game?" I found it interesting, because I consider myself a bit addicted to video games. The poll had 7 options for answers: Time, Money, Social life, Sleep, Food, Romance, and All of the above. I believe I have given up all of these on certain occasions, so I chose All of the above, but more specifically, time, money, sleep, food, social life, romance, in that order. I still value my social life and romance... when it exists. Oh, and I can't ignore hunger.
rolleyes.gif

Anyways, the results of the actual poll were:

Time 28.53% with 24302 vote
Money 8.84% with 7531 vote
A Social Life 11.42 with 9727 vote
Sleep 19.98 with 17025 vote
Food 2.74 with 2336 vote
Romance 2.52 with 2146 vote
All of the above 25.97 with 22125 vote

Do you consider yourself addicted to games? And what have you given up to continue playing a game? Video game addiction seems to be increasing and becoming a bigger problem than people are aware of. According to Wikipedia, video game addiction is excessive or compulsive use of computer and video games that interferes with daily life. Think of all the things you would be doing or might be doing if video games did not exist. We all love games here, but it is true... video games can hold you back from other things in life. That is not to say I am going to quit... but just food for thought.

Also, I came across this article.... it's kind of old, but still very tragic.

QUOTE said:
A Fostoria (Ohio) man pleaded guilty Wednesday to two counts of involuntary manslaughter in connection to the drowning-deaths of his 10-month-old twins. On August 7, Gregg J. Kleinmark, 24, left his sons unattended in a bathtub for 30 minutes while he played a computer game, three rooms away. One report suggests that Kleinmark was playing a Game Boy Advance, which as we know, is portable and could have been just as easily used in the bathroom while supervising the infants. Kleinmark is facing up to 10 years in prison.

The man's wife, Rachael Kleinmark, has since filed for divorce and obtained a protection order against her husband. Gregg Kleinmark, wracked by guilt and remorse, has tried to commit suicide twice since the deaths of the twins. He told Channel 13 he visits their graves every day.

Well, it would seem that the sad truth is that video games sometimes do kill.

Don't let this happen to you.
lecture.gif

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Guess i am a video game addict, i have a PS3, XBOX 360, Wii, 3 DSlites and countless emulators on my PC.

I wouldn't go as far as the guy who left his twins unattended in the bathtub tho

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I give up large amounts of money on video games and some time that I could be spending drinking with the ladies not much but there are a few occasions of this happening. However the upside is that those moments are spent gaming and drinking with the guys so I technically haven't lost anything. You got problems if you are giving up food for video games and sleep is a no since I get 7-8 hours regardless. I already have a romantic life, a long distance one, but video games isn't to blame for that..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
    S @ salazarcosplay: does update 19 really block it