Video demo on PS3 Custom Firmware installation.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by MarcusRaven, Jan 8, 2011.

1. MarcusRaven
    OP

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    I made a demo on how to install the custom firmware for PS3, and how to install back to official, mainly to show how easy it is, how harmless it is, and my thoughts on the future of PS3 Homebrew.

A few notes: I know that there's a lot of idle and arguably useless banter. I had to fill the time somehow. I answer a few questions, and just have a bit of fun.
    Also, I know I request online gaming invites. If I don't know you even a little bit (from GBATemp) then don't expect an acceptance. I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't want to be flooded by spam requests.
    Finally, once Homebrew starts coming out, I seriously wouldn't mind doing my own video reviews. What do you guys think?

http://vimeo.com/18561209

I was unable to upload to YouTube due to it being just slightly over their 15 minute limit.

So, in the idea of doing video reviews on Homebrew, should I start with Wii Homebrew to see how I do? Maybe get my YouTube account to increase my limit that way? [​IMG]

2. BloodyFlame

Member BloodyFlame GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Didn't YouTube remove the limit for those who don't have any strikes on their account?

3. MarcusRaven
    OP

United States
    I think that's if you already have some uploads that did okay. This was my first video ever.

4. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Great article and video, I also am interested in your homebrew review maybe you could use that as its name.

"Homebrew Review!"

5. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    So, I'm assuming people will eventually be able to use cheats in-game via this firmware?

6. MarcusRaven
    OP

United States
    You know, that isn't half bad. It rolls off the tongue. I like it. Any suggestions on what I should start my Wii reviews with? I'm leaning towards SNES9xGX.

7. MarcusRaven
    OP

United States
    Firstly, I apologize for the double post.

I wish I could answer this. Its all dependent on KaKaRoTo or whoever else starts coding more firmware. It seems possible, but at this stage its hard to say.

8. pikachu945

Member pikachu945 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    great video MarcusRaven!!!
    but I got a couple of questions to ask
    1.Can I still use PSN and download games?
    2.Does it work on 160gb slim?
    3.Can I play online?? ex. black ops etc?
    Thanks

9. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would almost guarantee it.

Probably the first thing you will see is trainers since code signing is not an issue right now.

Accio Hacks on the Wii is great but I think it took a while before it came out, and the PS3 is harder to code for so it should be a while before cheating becomes a huge problem. (private hacks will come really fast I suspect.)

10. GeekyGuy

United States
    Well, that's at least slightly reassuring. I appreciate folks' desire to dabble in homebrew or, heck, even pirate back up games. The cheating-online thing, though...there's no two ways about it -- it ruins the entire experience.

11. MarcusRaven
    OP

United States
    With this specific version, 1) Yes, 2) I don't see why not, and 3) Yes.

12. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Excellent video. My favorite part.

I'm gonna have to see the differences between this CFW, and Geohotz.

13. ZombiePosessor

Member ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I keep getting a data is corrupt message... I had Kak's 3.55 installed, re-installed OFW 3.55, then tried to install this, to no luck, keeps erroring, even if I download it from here or geohot's site, same result..

14. MarcusRaven
    OP

United States
    This IS KakaRoTo's 3.55. So if you had in installed, went back to OFW, then tried to install SOMETHING ELSE, then that's what your problem is. I'm using KaKaRoTo's, fixed for Trophy support and Data access.

Oh, and I'm fixing to turn 25, so I'm not THAT old, but I sure feel it.

15. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Accio Hacks just downloads the cheats, and is really nothing to do with actually cheating. That's done by Ocarina, or any loader that supports Ocarina (e.g. Gecko OS). Ocarina has been out for a LONG time. And really, I think the guts of cheating has already been done by adding PEEK and POKE commands to firmware (done by Jailbreak payloads, soon to be done by CFW I'm sure), which is essentially all that is needed for cheating AFAIK. You just POKE the necessary values to the correct addresses in memory. And you can use PEEK commands to help create the cheats, by finding the values to change. Of course, there needs to be a little more than this, but I think the foundations are in place. Could be wrong though.

16. GeekyGuy

United States
    Just out of curiosity -- and not to go too far OT -- but how does Microsoft deal with cheating, then? I also have a 360, but I don't use it for online gaming. Just curious. If the 360 is more secure in that respect, I guess I'll have to switch over to XBLA for my multiplayer needs.

17. zachpl

Newcomer zachpl Advanced Member

United States
    As of right now it is practically impossible to have a jtag online for more than like 3 minutes. You really don't have to worry about cheating on xbox live at all. Thats why I play all my online games on 360.

18. MarcusRaven
    OP

United States
    I just want to add that I'm currently running vigorous tests on GeoHot's CFW, and I can confirm that I was able to access the PSN Store, download a demo (Enslaved to be precise), and install it. Playing online I am unsure, since my connection is wonky anyway. (Nat3 issues mostly. Not sure how to go about fixing them.)