Video Compatibility Confusion

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Maz7006, Jul 10, 2009.

Jul 10, 2009

Video Compatibility Confusion by Maz7006 at 11:11 AM (1,765 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon

2. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Im pretty sure you have to be connected and signed into live in order to play divx and avi files. Stupid I know. Although you only need a free silver membership to do so, not a paid for gold one. As for you country not being available for live, Im not sure how you go around getting past that, sorry.

3. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    thanks p1ngpong [​IMG] I just thought that i was doing something wrong

Time to dust off the PS3 then [​IMG]

It's not about paying for the live, im aware that the silver membership is free, but why on earth does MS have to make it so darn complicated (just like all MS products i guess) [​IMG]

So I'm guessing there's no other way?

4. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    They make you have an account to download updates and stuff.... So yeah.

5. Blue Zoidberg

Member Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unfortunately p1ngpong is 100% correct.
    To play almost any non .wma file you have to be on Live (either silver or gold).
    I've actually called MS about it, I was having internet trouble and couldn't figure out why my vids wouldn't play, and they said there was no way around this.
    Go figure [​IMG]

6. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So let me get this straight, i have no hope at all, unless i play .wma files...?

7. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Have you tried streaming the videos through a pc? I dont generally bother doing streaming but it may work, maybe. [​IMG]

8. Blue Zoidberg

Member Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try using TVersity; it's a relatively lightweight media server for the PC. It can automatically transcode to whatever format the receiving device requires (your xbox).
    I've used it for quite a while for both my xbox and my small, custom built media PC and had zero problems.

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    well since you have a PS3 already (I assume since you said to dust it off) I suggest using that
    its an area where it acells at, I didnt even need to convert any of my movies that I collected over the years except for a wee wrestlemaina that had some weird encoding on it to make it only 700MB
    everything else just played right off the bat

10. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    in order to play the movies , you have to do it throught win med player 11 open it and go to -library -more options - configure sharing - from there you should beable to choose your xbox to share with ....after that

11. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    got to the monitor folders , and click adavanced options and add all the folders that have your media.....then goto you xbox and everything should be there

12. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    my 40GB HDD (yeah i know disappointing) is almost full, i saved a load of cash getting the smallest HDD, but it comes at price i guess :l

I mean i could get rid of all the stuff on it, but yeah i can't be bothered, my 360 HDD is a 120 GB, so yeah i think you get my flow here.

The only reason why i want to play videos off of my consoles is that i prefer it to watching them off a PC, well yeah i can hook up my PC to the TV, but damn i can't be bothered, i might as well just use my consoles.

@ Blue Zoidberg: thanks for all the help, ill try that.

@ p1ngpong: I will try streaming, i am aware i can do it, but will there be any slow downs if i try to watch HD files [​IMG]

@ air2004: I think you imply streaming my vids. Thanks.

Ok guys ill give this a shot, thanks for all the help, i appreciate it [​IMG]

13. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Ok i just got this to work. Well before i tried streaming, i got hold of a WMV converter. I Converted a couple of my AVI's popped them on a mem. stick, and yay it worked, picture quality wasn't that bad, anyway its shame that there is no AVI support, but i can live with that.

Anyway thanks for everyone that helped, but just one really quick nooby question. How do i transfer files from a mem stick to the 360 HD, thats if i can.

14. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the being online thing is news to me. i'm always online when i sign in so i guess i wouldn't have noticed. but i'm going to try that out.

because as far as i know, you just need to download the optional media update thing, and you're set.

15. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Thats my problem...i can't even get that update since Live isn't available in my country :\

anyway been converting all my files to wmv, which has been a pain. [​IMG]

16. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    You don't have to be signed into Live all the time to be able to play Divx/Xvid content. Just once so that your Xbox can download the codec. Is it possible to pick the next closest country on the list and see if it signs you in?

Also recommend you try TVersity. It streams/converts on the fly to your Xbox. [​IMG]

17. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I checked the website, and Live isnt available, yet my ISP is hosted in Germany...so could that mean i can get Live...if anyone can confirm this for me. I'd try but my 360 is some distance from my router, and i don't have the Wifi thingy :\

18. KaliKot

KaliKot Newbie

just use Tversity it works like a charm

although your PC may bog down while your transcoding media which is not natively supported

even flv files from video streaming sites work

I do have the media update though, dunno if you didnt have it

19. misteromar

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yeah, you dont need to signed into live to play avi's etc. You may need the optional media download.

Maybe he can change his country in the consoles settings to get the up date.

Also dump videora, its rubbish, try "Any Video Converter"

20. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Ok Tversity is working like a charm...thanks guys, just got round to actually trying it.

Why can't MS just make things so easy.

@misteromar: i've been using that lately to convert some files to WMV...works great ! [​IMG]