Vidboy10 Reviews Rock Band Unpluged!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Vidboy10, Aug 3, 2009.

Aug 3, 2009
  1. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    I was in a shop in Tokyo 4 days ago that had imports and stuf so i decided to pick up Rock Band Unpluged (NTSC-U) for The PSP! [​IMG]
    After playing it it was really enjoyable so i decided to make a review!

So sit back, relax, and enjoy!

THE MAIN STUFF

GAMEPLAY

Lets start off with Gameplay! There’s not much to say about the gameplay besides that it’s just plain fun. While playing the game the first few times may seem pretty confusing, you can get the hang of it pretty quickly and you’ll be able to realize the fun provided by this game. Most fans of Rock Band or rhythm games in general can get easily addicted to it after a few songs, and it’s hard to put down. Creating your own band is also fun while it lasts. The bad thing about creating the band is that the options are more limited than the console games, but that’s expected considering that it’s a portable. If you want to make characters have a distinct difference in height and weight, know now that it will not work like that.

Unfortunately, the game features no multiplayer. Instead of grabbing a friend to play on different instruments, you can only play on your own as you switch instruments after completing each phrase. This is a bit of a disappointment consider how multiplayer-focused the console games are, but the gameplay definitely makes up for most of that.

GAMEPLAY SCORE: 8.75 out of 10

GRAPHICS

The worst part of this game is probably its graphics. Portable games typically don’t offer great graphics for a PSP game imo, but the character models in this game just don’t look right. When playing a song, your characters just look choppy and non-detailed. I can’t bring the graphics score down too much, though, because the main part of it is done just fine: the note chart. The notes falling down look almost as good as they do on the series’ console installments.

GRAPHICS SCORE: 7.5 out of 10

THE SMALL STUFF

CONTROLS: While confusing at first, the controls in Rock Band: Unplugged are great. You may mess up by pressing the wrong button every now and then, but overall, the controls are fine and easy to get used to and memorize. Overall, they all come to your fingers naturally.

CONTROLS SCORE: 9.0 out of 10

SOUND: Rock Band: Unplugged features over 40 songs from classic such as The Police’s Message in a Bottle to modern hits like AFI’s Miss Murder. The setlist is great for any fan of rock music and can even inspire people with different tastes to start listening to the genre. When you’re inactive for a while on certain instruments, their sound will fade or will become completely mute, which can be annoying to your ears if you’re messing up and trying to complete a phrase.

SOUND SCORE: 9.5 out of 10

REPLAY: You’re going to definitely want to play songs multiple times in the game as you can switch to different difficulties and test your skill. An in-game store for downloadable content is also included. Those who have Wi-Fi and a Playstation Network account will be able to buy and download new tracks to play in the game. Tracks aren’t released as often as the weekly release of songs on the console version, but new tracks will be released pretty often (well, consider what you consider often).

REPLAY VALUE: Very high

Overall Score
    8.7/10

2. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    So.. how exactly do you play with those buttons? Is it like pressing buttons in a type of rhythm rather than you playing an instrument?

3. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    If it's to the drums, it'll be on beat with the rhythm. If it's to the guitar, it'll be to the melody, etc.

4. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    @Ian: What benjaminlibl said.
    But its mad fun really.

5. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Oh thanks, sounds really fun. Too bad I don't have a PSP lol.

EDIT: Lol, I see what you did there with that "Warn:" under your "From:"

6. kalmis

Member kalmis GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Thanks for the review. I found the game to be OK. Just don't see much point playing it when I got the real GH/RB with REAL plastic instruments [​IMG]

7. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Ah but can you take those instruments on the go? inb4 GHDS.

8. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    But you cant get a peripheral on the Psp for GH type games can you?? Serious question...

So yeah it sounds cool.. Nice review but it needs some pics..

9. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    I agree with this review. Rockband is awesome, but after a while when you've played all the songs it gets a little boring...

10. benjaminlibl

Singapore
    AND, after DJMAX it really is too easy. However you'll never see those songs on a DJMAX game, so I guess that's an advantage.

11. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    DJ Max is VERY easy if you just spam the buttons. But in Rockband if there's a song with a lot of notes you can't spam, you have to hit all of them at precise timings.
    Rockband=Skill
    DJ Max=Spam

12. Jaems

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You obviously haven't played much DJ Max.
    Spamming buttons doesn't work in Max 1 or 2 on higher difficulties songs 6 button or 8 button mode.
    Even 4 button mode can get hard sometimes.
    Sure, spamming might get you through the song if you do it furiously enough, but you'll probably end up with a C, or a D.

I can't say much about Max Fever, because I heard that has a sort of "auto-correct" feature.

13. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    Damn that game to the lowest hell! I can't even beat anything without spamming the buttons. Only the first like 4 songs I'm decent at. Then I fall apart.

Oh yeah and back to Rock Band Unplugged. Not that amazing. I've played a homebrew called AmplituDS and it's pretty much the same idea. I liked the homebrew better though, since that's what I played first

14. benjaminlibl

Singapore
    Really? I think DJMP2 was one of the harder ones. After that, everything got easier. Clazzikuai was really easy except the accuracy is a little wack.

15. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Great review, and the game seems really nice, too bad I don't have a PSP [​IMG]

16. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    From what I've seen, this game is far too easy. Like most psp owners, after playing dj max games, this game didn't take any skill whatsoever to beat. The only actual advantage this game had was its song list.

Oh, and spamming in DJ max? YEAHHHH, ABOUT THAT.....

But nonetheless, nice review. Could use some pictures, and a few extra goods though.

17. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    [​IMG]