Victorian Ceritificate of Education 2007

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Woke up to check my ENTER score. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Cer...te_of_Education
Being often surrounded by high achievers, and holding reasonably high expectations of myself, My ENTER score was a shock to the system. (nb: i passed, but it really isn't a matter of just passing)

Although i know I did not overall work as hard as some, for my best subject i worked my guts out so hard
cry.gif
cry.gif
but did not get marked to my expectations.

I've calmed myself down, but i worry about the future.
Although I have no specific long term goal (ie. specific employment) I feel inclined to continue my academic career into university.

In a way i feel it is less crushing because i am not entirely sure which path i wish to take, yet my score now severely limits my pathways into courses, and the universities that will offer them to me.

Was pretty upset, so i cried. I appreciated my parents consolation, but it will take a bit longer to calm my emotions.

I believe my dislike for the system of transition in Australian education is sentiment shared by many.
Indeed, my cousin in new Zealand need only pass to have a range of reasonable pathways for academic pursuit.

I know there will be others will be satisfied with their result, i congratulate you.

I've said what i felt i needed to, so I don't really feel like discussing the result or the system in itself anymore.

I hope your advice and wisdom GBAtemp, may continue to support me.

Keeper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't let the social pressure of good grades get to you. My parents were all crazy about me getting great scores, but I really didnt do that great either (this was over 10 years ago mind you). I still did better then most in my school (shows how average a school it was).
I was pretty much pressured into going to uni by my parents. I did get in however I dropped out after a year due to the fact that I was learning absolutely nothing practical and was racking up the hecs debt real quick. After I dropped out and finally started doing things my way, my life made a turn for the better. Did a japanese course in Tafe which got me a 6 month trip to Japan, I came back and got a job in a video game store, and now am a sales rep for a video game company working from home. So in the end, I'm really happy I didnt do that great in the VCE, or else I might have a boring desk job in a big firm, working my ass off (getting paid more I'm sure) but not being anywhere near as happy as I am now.
I also recently caught up with some old school friends who did even worse then me in the VCE and one is a very successful consultant who is flying all over australia and other countries too, earning a mint in the process.

So what I'm saying is, high school is just a small part in your life, regardless of what people say, it will not determine your entire future, your decisions from here on will do that for you.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know what to say OSW
frown.gif
. That sucks you were disappointed with your scores. Just remember not many people are going to care about what score you got in year 12 later on in your life.

I never finished school but I've had an awesome job for 3 years (IT, network admin work) and I'm going to university next year to study Psychology. I'm not sure what it's like in your state but in SA you can sit a test when you're 21 to get into courses you may not have had the scores for in year 12.

Try and find a decent careers councilor to talk to. They can just listen to what you're interested in and give some really good ideas about what jobs are out there and what you have to do to get them.

I suggest having a year off anyway. Get a job, doesn't matter what it is. Go on a holiday, have some fun. Get an idea what it's like not being at school and if you like it or not.

You've got your whole life ahead of you, there's no rush getting into Uni ASAP IMO.

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks yeah, people always tell me these stories, and i don't doubt them you know, it just sucks at that time.

I do have confidence in myself that i can work things out eventually.

who knows, maybe tafe is for me?

Keeper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tafe is awesome if you want some practical experience and knowledge.

University is only really good for your higher end jobs like medicine & law.
Business degrees don't tend to do much for you, because the companies will still want experience, so regardless of your paperwork, you will still have to work your way up through the company anyway.

In the end, I'd recommend you just kick back and think about what you would like to do and see whats available for learning in that area, remembering that you are able to change your mind later

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not sure if the NSW HSC is anything like the Victorian leaving certificate but there was a tremendous amount of pressure on us when we finished.

But the good thing is, if you didn't do as expected and didn't get the marks you were hoping for, it isn't the end of the world. It's not even the end of your acedemic career and it's not going to stop you being Prime Minister one day.

Schools put way too much pressure on your final results but there are MANY pathways into future study you may want to do. You have things like short bridging course at TAFE, University special acceptance programs, work experience/apprenticeship entry etc.

Don't worry to much. If there is something you want to study or do you'll still be able to do it, it's just going to take a little bit longer than you thought. Find out about your options because there is bound to be plenty.

Hope all goes well.

desh_thiere

Trophies
XP
Country
I am am highshcool teacher in QLD and I must say this thread is an interesting read. I will put in my 2 cents.

1) Highschool scores count for very little once you are 3+ years out of school

2) Didn't get the scores to get to uni? Do a bridging course at TAFE or something similar then get into uni next year.

3) If you did badly please don't think it was the fault of the teacher (unless they truly did suck). I have to give low marks to kids who work their ass off, and I mean really work their ass off, but they just don't grasp the subject, so they still get in the C range. It is really hard in those situations and those kids often think their teacher is a hard-ass, when in fact the teacher is simply marking to criteria.

4) PARTYYYYYY, you have finished school, go nuts!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1