very picky about reading discs

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tilbury, Mar 31, 2007.

Mar 31, 2007

very picky about reading discs by tilbury at 7:54 PM (1,030 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. tilbury
    OP

Newcomer tilbury Member

United Kingdom
    does anyone else have issues with their wii not reading discs ery well, I only have bulkpaq and so far 2 out of 10 game shave worked ok, and 2 others get into the games then give me a read error, and the rest just give me read errors...

2. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    I'm using Memorex with no issues at all.

3. StacMaster-S

Member StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I had the same problem, turned out that it was an issue with my Staples 16x DVD-R's... I picked up some Memorex DVD-R's and now every game boots up fine.

4. mehmed

Newcomer mehmed Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Taiyo Yuden DVD+R and DVD-R are best of all the medias out there.

media id/codes:

DVD-R
    TYG01 = burn at 4x since they're 4x max, can be done at 8x on most burners but i don't recommend it.
    TYG02 = burn at 8x (these are cheapest and most available in the US)
    TYG03 = burn at 8x or 12x if burner can do it and if you have a good burner. they are 16x and will burn great at 16x so they're up to you just don't burn them below 8x, they hate it

DVD+R
    YUDEN00T02 = burn at 8x can be done at 8x on most burners but i don't recommend it unless you have the best burner there is. (they are very available but double price over TYG02 in the US)
    YUDEN00T03 = burn at 8x or 12x if burner can do it and if you have a good burner. they are 16x and will burn great at 16x so they're up to you just don't burn them below 8x, they hate it (these don't exist in the US yet but are widely available in europe)

the second best are

Verbatim with ring code PAPAXXXXX made by CMC using MCC id code and dyes DVD+R and DVD-R

DVD-R
    MCC01RG20 = burn at 4x since it's max is 4x can be done at 8x on most burners but i don't recommend it unless you have the best burner there is
    MCC02RG20 = burn at 8x since it's max is 8x can be done at 12x on most burners but i don't recommend it unless you have the best burner there is
    MCC03RG20 = burn at 8x or 12x if burner can do it and if you have a good burner. they are 16x but those two lower speeds come out better and more guaranteed given their variability.

DVD+R
    MCC 002 = burn at 4x since it's max is 4x can be done at 8x on most burners but i don't recommend it unless you have the best burner there is
    MCC 003 = burn at 8x since it's max is 8x can be done at 12x on most burners but i don't recommend it unless you have the best burner there is
    MCC 004 = burn at 8x or 12x if burner can do it and if you have a good burner. they are 16x but those two lower speeds come out better and more guaranteed given their variability.

PAP6 ring codes are prodisc made verbatims but crappier and more variable quality than cmc made verbatims. burn these the same as cmc made verbs but don't expect same quality all the time

however verbatims are variable in regards to who made them. for best results and no DREs (unless burning too low or too high or crap burners) go for Yudens.

BEST BURNERS:

Benq 1620/1640/1650/1655/18xx series
    Liteon 6s series (ex 165H6s), 18aX1, and 20aX1 series
    Pioneer 110/111/112 series
    LG h10/h12/h22/h42 series

the rest aren't worth it and/or don't do dvd+r bitsetting to DVDROM.

a good free burn program to use is imgburn 2.2.0.0 i use this for everything works great. just open it and choose image and burn nothing else needed

*****THANX TO BLACKCATS*****

5. mrdan

Newcomer mrdan Newbie

United States
    I've done installs on 15-20 Wii consoles and one of them that I worked on was EXTREMELY picky with media. Would not read games w/ a WiiKey that ran fine on every other console I had tested them on. Read GC burns though so I know the chip was working fine.

This was using Verb +R. I'd recommend Taiyo Yuden -R from rima.com

6. Fat Head

Newcomer Fat Head Newbie

United States
    thanks for the site, i had no idea where to get the right Taiyo Yuden discs.

7. ssj4android

Member ssj4android GBAtemp Regular

Anyway to tell who made the Verbatims without opening the package?

8. dOOfus

Newcomer dOOfus Advanced Member

United States
    i use MCC 03RG20, 16x no problems at all

9. ZeeMox

Newcomer ZeeMox Member

United States
    I just finished installing my Wiikey and it can't run either of the test games I burned. I'm extremely relieved by this topic as it gives me hope that maybe I had bad burns and not a bad wiikey install.

As far as I could tell, the install went perfectly, even though I've never installed a modchip before. But I saw no bridging, didn't have too much exposed wire, and set everything down real nicely with electrical tape. I guess when things are actually open tomorrow, I'll have to try some other brands.

10. iori-kyo-k

Member iori-kyo-k GBAtemp Fan

France
    I wonder wht everybody prefers DVD-R.

Personnally I burned around 15 games on Verbatim DVD+R in 16X with Nero and not a single DRE so far.

I burn them at 4x now to make sure, but the "burned at 16x" one run just as great.

Just something I found this morning. The GC games I burned with Nero kept giving me DRE even before being detected in the Wii menu. Burned them again with CloneDVD2 and no more probs.

Shitting Nero :/

Chip : WiiFree 2.25
    Wii : PAL