Very dryish circle pad movement after cleaning with isopropyl

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Krzycho, Feb 3, 2017.

  1. Krzycho
    OP

    Krzycho Newbie

    Newcomer
    8
    0
    Nov 10, 2016
    Poland
    My circle pad was dirty, since it was never cleaned before. It felt a bit sticky and oily inside, so I decided to put two drops of isopropyl on it and move the circle pad around to clean up everything inside.
    The result? Joystick feels very dry, rought and scratchy inside. It's noisy and it feels uncomfortable to play with it right now. Have you got any ideas how to make it work as before?
     
  2. nero99

    nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

    Member
    1,982
    909
    Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    open your system and remove the circle pad from the inside. the little grey and black circles in there may be stuck.
     
  3. Krzycho
    OP

    Krzycho Newbie

    Newcomer
    8
    0
    Nov 10, 2016
    Poland
    Thx for idea @nero99! I did something different afterall. I've been sitting and doing some stuff, and while then moving the circle pad very fast making full circles like for 30min ( or even more ). It started to be more and more fluent. It works perfect right now. I've just stopped when it felt allright. It's much better then before cleaning now! :yay3ds:
    So after all it looks it safe to drop some isopropyl out there, but be aware of this very first "dryness effect".
     
  4. Subtle Demise

    Subtle Demise h

    Member
    1,440
    1,599
    Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Did you use 70% isopropyl by any chance? It is 30% water and probably accounts for the effect you experienced.
     
    Mark McDonut likes this.
  5. Krzycho
    OP

    Krzycho Newbie

    Newcomer
    8
    0
    Nov 10, 2016
    Poland
    No. It's 100% clean isopropyl. I was using it many times before for cleaning up different electronics too.
     
  6. Subtle Demise

    Subtle Demise h

    Member
    1,440
    1,599
    Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    What i mean is when you bought it at the store, did the bottle say 70 percent or 90? I dont think I've seen 100 percent isopropyl, only up to 99.
     
  7. Krzycho
    OP

    Krzycho Newbie

    Newcomer
    8
    0
    Nov 10, 2016
    Poland
    I now what you mean. I'm not a kid ;)
    The bottle says it's "isopropyl alcohol (IPA) of high purity (...) Contains only isopropyl alcohol"
     
  8. ScarletDreamz

    ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

    Member
    2,794
    1,200
    Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Nice way to kill you Circle Pad.. Dont do that.
     
  9. Krzycho
    OP

    Krzycho Newbie

    Newcomer
    8
    0
    Nov 10, 2016
    Poland
    Hmmm... I was gentle, not like pushing very hard to the limit. Just making full circles. I felt that it got better and better after each one, so I kept going.
     
  10. ScarletDreamz

    ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

    Member
    2,794
    1,200
    Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Dont ever again, this just kill the life spawn of this, there are alof of things you can use instead of killing it doing circles.