Very confused about flash kits....

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by MOD-SAN, Aug 31, 2006.

Aug 31, 2006
  1. MOD-SAN
    OP

Newcomer MOD-SAN Member

United States
    Hi, I'm interested in purchasing a DS flash kit, but after looking at all the flash kits and reading through the specifications, I realized I'm SUCH a newbie at it! Here's my question:

I'm looking for a flash kit for the DS. Preferably, it should be easy to use. It has to have the highest possible compatibility for commercial DS ROMs. It should have at least 1 GB [not gigabit... I'm not even sure what a gigabit is!] worth of storage for the ROMs and save files. Also, price doesn't matter, as, however much it costs, I will be saving up for it.

And could you explain how it works in simple terms? That would be most helpful. Thanks!

[Edit: oops... sorry, apparantly I posted this in the wrong forum^^; Could someone move it? Thanks!]

2. KINGOFNOOBS

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hmm just DS Roms? Supercard Lite, or M3 Lite ( I will assume its like previous editions). But you will have to buy a Superkey/Passcard 3 and a 1 Gig MicroSD

3. SlyGuy

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Short answer: Supercard Lite.

Long answer: Read the post 2 down from yours before asking the same question that has been asked countless times!

4. MOD-SAN
    OP

Newcomer MOD-SAN Member

United States
    OK... but looking up the Supercard lite, goodness, there's all kinds of different bundles with various drives and cables! What exactly do I absolutely need, for it to work, minus the optional stuff? By the way, does the Supercard lite work with regular big ol silver DS, because that's the kind I have?

5. KINGOFNOOBS

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Supercard Lite + Superkey + 1GB MicroSD + NDS Lite (duh) heh

6. neojei

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No it doesn't work on the older DS model, because its set in one size for the DS Lite, which really makes me not want to buy it because I still like playing my old DS while the Lite charges. Also I'd say supercard, i can do like 98% of what the M3 line can do, for cheaper the price. M3's are really expensive, M3 Lite for 80$? I'd rather buy the 1 gig micro with Supercard Lite for 88$ from psxbox.net. All I'd need left is a passme. Basically all you need is the flash cart, memory(unless you get a G6 or something of that sort), a passme, and a card reader for your memory you choose to get.

7. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    There is no "best" kit

8. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    My advice? Wait until there is a good choice of DS slot solutions out [​IMG]

9. pte

Member pte GBAtemp Regular

The DS slot solutions have their own limitations like the 4MB of active memory (which makes it probaby useless for anything else but NDS games), the SC Lite and M3 Lite are both great products. If you don't care about money you could buy an M3, if you like to save 30% buy a SuperCard.

You also need a Passcard3 or a SuperKey to run NDS-files from your GBA-slot. They are the same product but have a different sticker...

Check this guide out: http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=27062

10. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    DSLite uses TF (MicroSD)
    DS-X uses internal 4Gbit (512MB)

So, it's more then only good for NDS Games, 4MB isn't even enough to put on the smallest NDS game [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pte

Member pte GBAtemp Regular

I didn't actually meant the storage but for saves and such...

"You should note, that for all DS-based cards which will be created now and in future, the DS slot is not usable as general memory. So all programs are limited to 4 MByte size, or will have to use some sort of overlay technique.

Programs on a GBA slot card will have a total of 4+32MByte for memory.
    Be aware of this limitation!"