temenos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is kind of hard to explain.

I've dealt with this since I modded mine in early 2009. Why didn't I post over the last 2 and a half years? Hell, I don't know. I don't play my Wii much.

Anyway, what happens is, about 9 times out of 10, when I start up my Wii and get to the system menu (or any menu with sound of any kind) the sound resembles what you would probably hear if someone took the SFX or whatever music track the Wii is playing and cranked up the decibels on it until it's obnoxious to the ears. Something like +5 - +10dB

Or if you don't get it yet, really squeaky, blaring, hard on the ears, sound.

This occurs on any game, in any menu, with any SFX. As long as it makes a noise. Any TV.

Now, about 10% of the time, I can start up my Wii and it will be completely normal. No issues whatsoever.

Due to this, me playing my Wii involves me shutting it down and rebooting it as many times as it takes to get the sound to act normal, then I proceed to not turn it off until I don't want to play it for a while so I don't have to do it again any time soon.

This has been bothering me forever, and I have never encountered a thread or any subject of information about this.

I just want my sound to work normally all the time, instead of 10% of the time. It's really keeping me from playing games as much as I would otherwise, as it is such a hassle to get them playable.

Thank you for whatever advice you may have.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a bug in libogc that doesn't de-init the DSP properly. It's triggered by preloader or booting directly into HBC from bootmii instead of going to the system menu (or any other homebrew app being run before the system menu when the wii is first powered up).

Edit: More info @ http://wiibrew.org/wiki/TinyLoad
QUOTE said:
Normally, game audio will not work correctly if launched via a loader that was initially launched via BootMii-boot2. This is a bug in libogc (it doesn't know how to initialize the DSP for the first time and leaves it in a broken state), and it affects anything running after the Wii was booted first into a libogc application, including the System Menu's loader. In other words, BootMii-boot2 ? HBC ? System Menu (or Gecko OS) ? Game may cause distorted audio. TinyLoad does work, by resetting the audio hardware to let the game reinitialize it properly. So, BootMii-boot2 ? HBC ? TinyLoad ? Game will work fine. This ought to be worked around in a future release of HBC, at least. I'd suggest fixing libogc, but I know shagkur is just going to rip the proper code from the SDK again. Anyway, launching using TinyLoad will work fine as it contains the workaround.
On some TVs it's simply not noticeable because their speakers don't have the range for anything to sound different, but when you can hear it... it's pretty bad, like mp3s that have been recompressed 10 times.

Reactions: 1 person

temenos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
Have you tried new cables?

yep

tueidj said:
It's a bug in libogc that doesn't de-init the DSP properly. It's triggered by preloader or booting directly into HBC from bootmii instead of going to the system menu (or any other homebrew app being run before the system menu when the wii is first powered up).

Edit: More info @ http://wiibrew.org/wiki/TinyLoad
QUOTENormally, game audio will not work correctly if launched via a loader that was initially launched via BootMii-boot2. This is a bug in libogc (it doesn't know how to initialize the DSP for the first time and leaves it in a broken state), and it affects anything running after the Wii was booted first into a libogc application, including the System Menu's loader. In other words, BootMii-boot2 ? HBC ? System Menu (or Gecko OS) ? Game may cause distorted audio. TinyLoad does work, by resetting the audio hardware to let the game reinitialize it properly. So, BootMii-boot2 ? HBC ? TinyLoad ? Game will work fine. This ought to be worked around in a future release of HBC, at least. I'd suggest fixing libogc, but I know shagkur is just going to rip the proper code from the SDK again. Anyway, launching using TinyLoad will work fine as it contains the workaround.
On some TVs it's simply not noticeable because their speakers don't have the range for anything to sound different, but when you can hear it... it's pretty bad, like mp3s that have been recompressed 10 times.

Ooh. I'm gonna read into this myself, but on the off chance I get stumped, what's the best way to go about fixing libogc?

Really appreciate it.

temenos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read some more into this, and it seems to me like I'm pretty much FUBAR if I want to run backups or use codes, since TinyLoad doesn't support any of that?

Damn, that's unfortunate. Unless I'm wrong?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All you have to do is make sure the system menu is the first thing that runs when you turn your wii on. That means if you normally see bootmii appear it has to be set to launch the system menu, and you can't have preloader installed either.

temenos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
All you have to do is make sure the system menu is the first thing that runs when you turn your wii on. That means if you normally see bootmii appear it has to be set to launch the system menu, and you can't have preloader installed either.

Setting bootmii to launch the system menu is as simple as changing the .ini I imagine, but uninstalling priiloader seems like another beast entirely.

Best way to go about that? Is there even a recommended way to do it?

Time to look some more stuff up. Thanks again for all the help

temenos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess things have changed, uninstalling it was simple, they added an uninstall option. Testing time

edit: Fixed, awesome.

Thanks, this has been torturing me forever.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the two-week bump, but if I'm reading about this program correctly, is this also related to the Snes9xGx squeaky audio issue (when you open/close the menu), and when you go back to the game or Wii menu, it sounds like the audio is no longer interpolated?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
maybe there's a mouse in the wii?
laugh.gif

temenos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the_randomizer said:
Sorry for the two-week bump, but if I'm reading about this program correctly, is this also related to the Snes9xGx squeaky audio issue (when you open/close the menu), and when you go back to the game or Wii menu, it sounds like the audio is no longer interpolated?

Seems plausible, since it's a similar way to get to the system menu

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem now is how to take advantage of said program. Do you place it on the USB HDD then load Snes9xGx or what? If open/close the menu, you can hear it, but if you open/close the menu enough times, the audio glitch goes away. Think back to when Snes didn't implement audio interpolation; it's like that, but not as bad. I've been told it's due to some libogc issue, but it sounds like this program may be a solution.

Squall Leonhart

Trophies
Website
vba-m.com
XP
Country
Australia

Yes, this issue also affects snes9x-gx and the bgm in usbloadergx

libogc seems to be entirely lacking interpolation, this would explain the tinny sounds on LTTP sound effects, since those are usually 22050hz or lower, only the bgm in that game is 31900hz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn