Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10x0924oub3ergfdveriz0n.jpg
Verizon's been telegraphing its intent to drop unlimited data plans for nearly a year, and despite the fact that LTE smartphones launched with all-you-can-eat options, those plans haven't changed one bit. Reuters reports that Verizon will finally nix the megabyte buffet this summer, replacing it with a fully tiered data pricing scheme, though CFO Fran Shammo also floated the idea that tiered data could open up an avenue for family data plans. We've never really enjoyed sharing minutes, so we doubt counting our kilobytes will be much fun, but we suppose there's always room for Verizon to pleasantly surprise us with a really low price for mobile web browsing. Right? By the by, Fran also reiterated claims that the next iPhone will be a global device, and said that when it launches on AT&T, it'll hit Verizon stores at the very same time.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source (Engadget)

dry.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... that sucks. But unlimited data is overrated anyway; if you don't tether, you really can't use more then 2 GB a month unless you do EVERYTHING with your phone.

I wonder what they will do with tethering, though.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Either or, it can't be as bad as what Canadian wireless networks throw at us. Our minimum data plans start at $45 for 150 minutes of talk and 500MB data. We don't even have unlimited data options. The most is 5GB, which will cost you an extra $60 a month. Then you add in 3-year contracts, ridiculous taxes, and the equally lame "government regulatory fees" and other "activation fees", "service fees", and such that basically give more money to your carrier. Verizon can't do much worse than that.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dgwillia said:
Guess that sucks, but then again...i barely use that much data on my phone. Sucks that i was planning to upgrade to an Iphone or Xperia Play in the next few weeks
if you upgrade before they change the plans you can get unlimited for the full contract

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
dgwillia said:
Guess that sucks, but then again...i barely use that much data on my phone. Sucks that i was planning to upgrade to an Iphone or Xperia Play in the next few weeks
if you upgrade before they change the plans you can get unlimited for the full contract

Ah, thanks then. Definately gonna go by the store next week after the Xperia comes out, see which is cheapest between the two for me.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My phone is modified. I use the hell out of my data plan for Verizon. Streaming, downloading, etc. So I enjoy my $30 dollar data plan, it beats the hell out of AT&T and Sprint (Slow as hell). regular month is 10GB.

Two Cents.

Wynd

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wyndcrosser said:
My phone is modified. I use the hell out of my data plan for Verizon. Streaming, downloading, etc. So I enjoy my $30 dollar data plan, it beats the hell out of AT&T and Sprint (Slow as hell). regular month is 10GB.

Two Cents.

Wynd

They must throttle you pretty bad eh?

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quietlyawesome94 said:
wyndcrosser said:

Two Cents.

Wynd

They must throttle you pretty bad eh?
most of the time it's easy to mod a android phone to remove the throttle. XDA is a great place to find no-throttle zips

I generally use 2-3gb's a month, but in 1 week I used 5gb's when I was on vacation tethering. at least there not capping my FIOS, then I would be mad.

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im actually HAPPY they are doing this. Im in need of a new phone (i get a free upgrade this year xD) and my mom has refused to buy a droid/iphone because of the ridiculous attached data plan... WHEN ITS WIFI ENABLED > >. But with the tiered data plan i can just get the cheapest one and shut off data services to my phone XD. Or maybe just get a family data plan if its offered
tongue.gif

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jakob95 said:
I hope they lower they prices.
I can almost guarantee they wont.
Reason being, they have always been "pay for everything verizon"
And they can do it too. IMO they are the best carrier, however you pay more for it.

and @ OP
/humps the air
Already have umlimited data! suck it V

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CarbonX13 said:
Either or, it can't be as bad as what Canadian wireless networks throw at us. Our minimum data plans start at $45 for 150 minutes of talk and 500MB data. We don't even have unlimited data options. The most is 5GB, which will cost you an extra $60 a month.
that's a lie .
at least in Ontario, Wind Mobile, and Public Mobile have a $25 unlimited calling + txting plan . than you add an extra $10 for unlimited data and there you go, a $35 plan for unlimited calls, txts, data !

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Splych said:
CarbonX13 said:
Either or, it can't be as bad as what Canadian wireless networks throw at us. Our minimum data plans start at $45 for 150 minutes of talk and 500MB data. We don't even have unlimited data options. The most is 5GB, which will cost you an extra $60 a month.
that's a lie .
at least in Ontario, Wind Mobile, and Public Mobile have a $25 unlimited calling + txting plan . than you add an extra $10 for unlimited data and there you go, a $35 plan for unlimited calls, txts, data !
I was referring to the Big 3 (Bell, Rogers, Telus).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Psst US phone companies- technology is supposed to improve with time.

Oh well these are the people that accuse tethering of being something different/chargeable for. May the charlatans responsible for the sad state of affairs find themselves without sleep.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
I can't say I like that news at all... however, my family just did our renewal upgrading last week and I nabbed myself a Droid 2 Global with unlimited data, I'm good for the next two years while this all get's sorted out at least. XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: im new