Verify RAM part of laptop...

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Katsumi San, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Katsumi San
    OP

Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2012
    Kyoto
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second picture are taken from new personal computer(bottom like N3DSXL, unscrew small plate..) I go to the google and become little confuse? I do not know if such part is DDR3 or DDR3L?(I am find two parts on amazon.. not sure which is..) Other question... I read from internet there is possibility of update "BIOS" of system before install RAM piece? Perhaps I am wrong... I wish to do correctly thing and safe. Thank you for read!

Edit: I look more info on computer and can only allow 16GB RAM. Hmm.. How to say.. I think make computer full capability then install all possible RAM.

Last edited by Katsumi San, Mar 29, 2016
  2. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    By looking it up online, I was able to find that the RAM is DDR3, and it's 1600MHz. As for a BIOS update, I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary. They're risky and if it goes wrong, you'll have a bricked system.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You shouldn't need a BIOS update to install RAM, but it might be a good idea to update your BIOS anyway, as BIOS updates usually include bugfixes and improvements. If you haven't noticed any strange issues with the PC, you probably don't need a BIOS update.

Check CPU-Z, under the SPD tab. The voltages listed at the bottom should tell you whether this is DDR3 or DDR3L RAM. DDR3L uses lower voltages, a typical voltage for normal DDR3 is 1.5v or 1.65v. If it's DDR3L then it will be lower.

8 GB should be enough in a laptop though. It's just about enough to run a game, a web browser, a chat client and anything else you'd need at the same time. Most people won't need more than that.

4. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    PC3L would indicate that it's DDR3L RAM memory that's installed.

5. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    If your laptop only has room for one slot of RAM, upgrading's not going to be cheap. The next step up would be 16GB, and if there's only one slot you need a single 16GB stick, not 2x8GB as most common upgrade kits would be.

Additionally, laptop RAM sticks are 204-pin, whereas desktop sticks are 240-pin. Make sure you look at 204 pin sticks, as others will not work.

Finally, if you want to "make computer full capability then install all possible RAM" your options are going to be limited. Laptops aren't generally built with upgrades in mind, and your CPU is already top-of-the-line. Your graphics aren't bad either, and can't be updated. The most you could do otherwise would be to add a SSD to boot from, but if there's not an open slot for one in your laptop you would have to give up the main hard drive.

6. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The picture shows two SODIMM slots, one of which is occupied by an 8GB SODIMM.