Verified Larger sized SD cards? - All singing and dancing 8gb/16Gb sd

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by melodical, Jul 20, 2009.

1. melodical
    OP

Member melodical GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Does anyoneone know of any LARGE sd cards 8gb/16gb/32gb/64gb that will be able to install bootmii(v2) and EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

Other guides on GBAtemp on the whole mainly only pertain to to earlier versions of bootmii and hbc and their is only usually one person veryifying that the card works without stating the homebrew and application revision numbers or other such crucial info. Their are no backup or 2nd opinions. I am trying to find a card that has been TRIED, TESTED and VERIFIED by more than one person on the gbatemp forum. AS i said i am looking for a multi purpose large sd.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

They must also be able to:

1. Allow bootmii to be installed and be able to BOOT ok from Bootmii on SD Card on wii reset

2. Be able to install the homebrew channel using bannerbomb/hackmii.

3 Run the nand backup facilty and allow you to backup the nand to same sd card without problems

4. Give you the ability to play emulated games (snes,gc,n64,genesis etc.

5. Let you run wii backup wii game iso's (i.e through neogamma,usb loader gx)

6. Lets you run virtual console and wiiware

7. Install preloader

8. Run gc games

9 Run avi's (dvdx & mplayer and geexbox)

IS it possible to have a card this large and get away with all of the above???

Is anyone using a larger card that caters for all of the above. I know its pretty optimistic thinking on my before but i wanted to rule it out before stepping down to a smalled sd, maybe 2-4gb

Other posts on gbatemp usually say it will work with one thing or the other but their is no mention of whether the SD card works to accomodate all of the above.

Is their any alternative solution as i need to buy a card soon and want to know whether to get, either 1 small sd to just to handle bootmii and nand (500+mb) and a larger card for all the rest of the above (apart from the bootmii, homebrew and nand bits).

Thanks in advance.

2. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I have no idea, but I think you mean FOOLPROOF.

3. Jeomite

Member Jeomite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    We definitely need a thread/compatibility list like this..

I tried two 8GB SDHC cards and both loads HBC fine, but fails with Forwarders and some channels.
    Right I'm using a Kingston 4GB microSDHC in a SD adapter, which works perfectly for all apps, forwarders, etc.

From what I've heard, the Transcend 8GB SDHC works fully...

Incompatible:
    PNY 8GB SDHC
    Patriot 8GB SDHC

4. 0M39A

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    not sure about all of that stuff above as i dont use some of it, but i have a transcend 16gb sdhc class 6 that works fine in bootmii, hbc, mplayer ce and emulators.

havent tried playing a game off it in usb loader (use a 250gb hdd for that), but it works for storing covers on.

dont have preloader, so havent tested that. same with wiiware/vc games as im on system menu 3.2.

dont use it as my card in my wii normally as its overkill for me. just use a no name 1gb card which also does all of the above

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    waste of time getting a 32gb+ one might as well get a hard drive

6. ilovengage

Member ilovengage GBAtemp Fan

Austria
    You can't run GC games from SD or USB.

7. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
  8. melodical
    OP

Member melodical GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks for those links but i've been to both sites mentioned and they were all in reference to older vs of homebrew or bootmii or Wani's cios . (I should have stated this earlier that the guides do not seem to be updated for latest version releases.) It also shows (wiibrew list) that no sd cards of 8gb in size are comaptible with all (only some!) of the features I require. The same goes for the 8gb cards mentioned on forum posts as they lack the info such as whether they work with any of the above on never revisions of software. This is not a case of lazy searching or googling i have sifted through quite a few different threads on gbatemp but none of them seem to be able to clarify whether im asking for too much in getting an 8gb card but as it asks that i need to format to fat/fat 16 and i would be unable to test wii backup game as it does not allow filesizes larger than 4gb.

I have also followed http://www.gbatemp.net/lofiversion/index.php/t154883-50.html but felt it didi not answer all of the above in detail.

I think up to date versions of the above links are needed specifically to single out any new bigger cards that will let you do ALL APART FROM (as mentioned earlier by 'ilovengage') "running GC games from SD or USB as they dont work yet"

If i cant find out a sd card that works for everything else as mentioned above I need to drop to minimum of an 8gb card at the moment as I just bought a wii from a friend with a broken dvd drive (screen goes black when trying to run ori and backup games through wii menu) and I dont have a usb hd yet for the same reasons as the sd card. I would just like to do most of softmod stuff on a sd card for now just for installing/testing and troubleshooting reasons and the fact that i could fit at least one backup wii dvd game/iso from there to test whether the softmod is setup successfully.

anyone successfully using an 8gb card?