Hacking Verbatim DL Disks. (Regions) - Questions

FoulPlay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, the disc I used to burn my Super Smash Bros. Brawl was on a DVD+R DL Singapore disk, and I had ran out as it was my last one, I purchased some more to sell them off and create a back up of a back up for myself, and make a friend a copy. However, their Indian DVDs. (I'm not at home right now so I can't check.)

Did anyone on these forums, with a PAL wii get the Indian Verbatims to work correctly?

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I tell what region my Verbatim DL discs come from? Also, I too would like to know the significance of the region.

After following the Trucha Signer guide for removing the Japanese channels, I burned the last one of my Verbatim DVD+R DL discs at the slowest "supported" speed (2.4x according to IMGBurn). It would freeze on different places in pretty much any FMV that I didn't immediately skip. I opened a new pack and burned another and this time I was able to successfully play the intro video as well as many of the story-mode FMVs (I played through the Donkey Kong/Diddy Kong stuff and all worked fine except for a couple studders in the first one). After playing a bunch of multiplayer and trying a few VC games (anyone else notice that the aspect remains correct in 16:9 unlike VC channel games?), I decided to watch the intro video again. This time, it locked up. I gave the Wii a rest and tried it again only to see it lock up in less than two seconds. It seems to have "degenerated" considering that it all seemed to be working fine before.

I have a launch Wii which reportedly has trouble even reading original DL discs in Japan due to lasers sensitive to dust, so I wonder: am I experiencing a media quality issue or one related to a dusty laser?

Julian017

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FoulPlay said:
Hi, the disc I used to burn my Super Smash Bros. Brawl was on a DVD+R DL Singapore disk, and I had ran out as it was my last one, I purchased some more to sell them off and create a back up of a back up for myself, and make a friend a copy. However, their Indian DVDs. (I'm not at home right now so I can't check.)

Did anyone on these forums, with a PAL wii get the Indian Verbatims to work correctly?

Yes, I have Indian 2,4x speed Verbatim DL-R disks and SSBX works fine

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys: Reporting when your Wii was made (well, sold) and what chip you have would make this much more useful. My problematic situation includes a launch unit (USA) and a WiiKey. I'll check on the country of the Verbatim media if someone will tell me how.

Basically, we need to be able to isolate media quality issues from drive issues and both of those from bugs like those present in the WiiKey, which reads DLs at 3x no matter what. I suspect that the WiiKey forced 3x problem causes issues with SSBB trying to read the audio along with the video (for use in the sound test or optional menu music, audio seems to be stored with other audio instead of muxed with the video).

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It will say right on the packaging in which country it was made. Be aware that Verbatim currently has two different DVD+R DL medias: 2.4x rated with 'AZO' dye, and 8x rated with 'Advanced AZO' dye.

CZroe - are you trying to suggest that the WiiKey forcing the drive to run at 3x with 1.9g is causing the problems? Many people have no problems running SSBB with a WiiKey at 1.9g on DL media so I think you can eliminate that as a cause. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about audio and video files - the laser can't be in two places at once.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lazycus said:
It will say right on the packaging in which country it was made. Be aware that Verbatim currently has two different DVD+R DL medias: 2.4x rated with 'AZO' dye, and 8x rated with 'Advanced AZO' dye.

CZroe - are you trying to suggest that the WiiKey forcing the drive to run at 3x with 1.9g is causing the problems? Many people have no problems running SSBB with a WiiKey at 1.9g on DL media so I think you can eliminate that as a cause. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about audio and video files - the laser can't be in two places at once.
It may not be the direct cause, but it may contribute when you add in any difficulty with older (dirty?) drives or media. For instance, instead of being just choppy, it'll crash/freeze/error out.

My second Verbatim disc from a new spindle was able to watch many of the FMVs from the story mode and the intro. I never took the disc out when it started freezing on those very same videos that night. The next morning, I couldn't even launch the game without it locking up in the first second of the intro FMV (before I could skip it). It took eight tries to get to the title screen even though the disc had worked perfectly at first.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lazycus said:

I have 8x AZO...

FoulPlay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for me right now, the game sometimes freezes [Not often though, I've just been playing my friend for about five hours without freezes.], however, I think this is because of my Media that it is crashing.

My Wii doesn't seem to be affected, I can watch cut-scenes sometimes, I just bash strat at the opening one just incase, however, I didn't download it for SSE etc, I downloaded it for Multiplayer, and it works fine! Everything else, even masterpeices, seem to work fine, I don't want to watch SSE as I've just played through it recently, and to be honest it isn't that interesting anyway.

I'm just glad the gameplay works.

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are the ones made in Singapore any good? I saw them at a store today, I was going to pick it up, but it was like $21 for 3 disks... WTF?!

FoulPlay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ones made in Singapore are very good yes.
The india versions are the worst.
Sigapore is the best for DL Verbatims.
Although, 21$ for 3 discs?
Go online and buy some.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bluebright said:
Stop buying crap discs everyone. If a DL disc isn't over $10 each then its terrible.

Thats a lie. Made in Singapore Verbatimns are some of the best discs you can get, and I payed a dollar a disc for mine.

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess I gotta grab them tomorrow. I think they were the last ones there.

21 bucks for 3 disks is a lot though, like WTF...?? I will try a local computer shop and see if I can grab the same disks for a cheaper price.

BTW, where did you get yours?

paulie_m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have got a Pal Wii with Dual Layer Verbatims from Singapore and I have not been able to burn a working copy of Smash Bros.

I did manage to run the updates and bring up the title screen, but as soon as I start the game the Wii makes some nasty noises and then comes to an error screen.

At that point I have to turn off the Wii.

Now frantically trying to think where I can buy some more Dual layer discs right now and go out and get them!

paulie_m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I have tried a couple of different brands of DL discs now and my Wii hates all of em. :|

Ordered some more discs but it dosent look good. Are there some Wiis that just hate DL?

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
paulie_m said:
Well I have tried a couple of different brands of DL discs now and my Wii hates all of em. :|

Ordered some more discs but it dosent look good. Are there some Wiis that just hate DL?

Yes.

News circulated after the Japanese release that there are some unmodded Wiis that are having trouble reading pressed DL discs... namely, SSBB. These are supposedly near-launch Wiis and Nintendo is offering free cleaning service for them. Mine has trouble with excellent brands, and I purchased mine at launch, so I'm sure I'm experieincing the same issue. Even if they offer the service here, there's no way I'm handing them my modded Wii!

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i'm deciding right now if i should buy the legit game and wait for the Wiikey to fix the retail disc problem (which could take months at this rate by the time a fix comes out the pal release will be here) or to buy some expensive blank dual layers and risk getting coasters on each one and risk getting made in india ones too, i can't decide right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte