Gaming VD-Dev's thoughts on Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS performance compared to their game, IronFall

WaffleWafer

GBATemp Novice Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Now this isn't a IronHax/Smealum/Ninjhax/conspiracy thread. This is a legit email I've received from VD-Dev themselves where IronFall was just a mere Tech Demo. I sent this email a year ago (6/27/2014) because I was really interested in how they have managed to do so much rendering in their tech demo. I just want to share this with you guys and see what you think about their reply:

This is my original comment to the IronFall tech demo on Youtube.

"Why can't they add sharper textures? I mean, the tech demo showed dual screen rendering. Why not put the extra rendering power to the main screen? I'm almost positive that a game like this, you'll only use the touchscreen for in-game information like health, ammo, extra settings, and maps." (I hope you could enlighten me with this one :D)
I am pumped to play this game in the future but I still have lingering thoughts about the games for the 3DS. IronFall looks like Resident Evil: Revelations. Is the 3DS only that powerful? With the techdemo you released, it might suggest that Resident Evil: Revelations only uses a part of the 3DS's rendering capabilities. It doesn't even run on 60FPS and CAPCOM managed to make it the best looking game on the system.
Now when I see IronFall, I keep thinking that the graphical capabilities of the 3DS is far beyond that. You showed dual screen rendering, both running on 60FPS.
But it gets confusing. Metal Gear for the 3DS isn't that nice (well performance wise, the gameplay, however, is godlike). I know it's a port but according to some reviews, they notice dropped frames in boss fights, fire explosions etc. Seeing the end of the Ironfall techdemo, the powerplant explodes like a champ and if I'm not mistaken, it's happening on 60FPS. And I'm like "WAT".
Can you guys enlighten me? I hope you could give me some answers even though my ideas are all over the place. Thanks guys! You're the best!

cheers

Surprisingly, they replied!

Hi,

We'll have some parts of the game with dual screen rendering, but of course full power will be to the top screen,
and bottom screen will be for health ;)

With the IronFall engine we are at the limit of the GPU (i mean the physical limits of the PICA gpu).
Resident Evil is a very good game but it could run at 60 fps ;)

We have spent more than one year only on the engine, its all written in assembly and we have coded our own,
graphic driver. thats a lot of work but this way we got the maximum power from the 3DS ;)

thanks for yur support, we hope you'll like our game

The VD-DEV_TEAM

I (obviously) played IronFall and the game is somewhat nice, although the textures are kind of low res and blurry compared to Resident Evil. What do you guys think? 60 Fps on Resident Evil?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are the guys who did that V3D engine I believe they know their stuff. They've been pulling 3D from systems not intended for it since the Gameboy Advance with V-Rally 3 (which displays like a handheld Sega Rally Saturn) so I think they probably have a good grasp on the limits having pounded away at that engine for over a year on 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn