Hacking VCiicon - A fast way to create a Virtual Console injected Icon and Banner

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
NOTE: The code to make the banner isn't gonna be updated in a while due to some problems with making it, and the code is already a mess...

Description:

VCiicon will be a way to generate a Virtual Console Icon (along with an XML and banner) for an injected game.

This makes them look as good as Nintendo does them, and even uses the same backgrounds and such.

For now you need to install ImageMagick in order to use this, and this works only on Mac and Linux (a. Also, please note that this is a work in progress so not everything's done yet.

Instructions:

1. Find a good title screen image of your game. Please make sure it's at least 400x300 (or 400x366 for GBA) for it to look good on the banner.
  2. Name it as screenshot.png (or other picture extension).
  3. Run the script (sh vciicon.sh "name of platform") and it will do the rest. It will save it in the Meta Folder. Please remember if you're making another icon to move the folder after it's done before making another one or else it will be deleted.

To-Do:

• Add options to use OriginalHamster's templates.
  • Make a banner with this.
  • Make an XML with this.
  • Make this work with Windows.

Download Here:

VCiicon:

https://github.com/larsenv/VCiicon

ImageMagick:

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php

Last edited by Larsenv,

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Yes, it's more complicated to make than the others but I know it will work.

:)
It should be stored in the meta, from full VC dumps, I'm all for a more faster, uniform way to create icons, I'm just not very fan of people own creations xD, prefer Nintendo own assets.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
It should be stored in the meta, from full VC dumps, I'm all for a more faster, uniform way to create icons, I'm just not very fan of people own creations xD, prefer Nintendo own assets.

Yeah I agree.

I know where it's stored but I'm looking for the banners for any other Virtual Console Platforms than SNES, NES and GBA.

Do you have any of those?

:P

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I guess it doesn't really matter about the Meta Folders, we've got the most important consoles.

Banner support is coming soon, I'm just working on some things to make it look nice.

tedwards75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Larsenv could you give me a step by step process on how to run this program and use it on my Windows PC to make Wii banners/icons?
I’ve never used an “sh” program before

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr